996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I`m pushing up Pentosin in the front reservoir, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:42 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
I`m pushing up Pentosin in the front reservoir, thoughts?

i had a leaking rear reservoir replaced last year, now this, clutch pedal has some "roughness" feedback as i am depressing it. thoughts ? thx !

996 tt 2003

Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Buzzmobile is infamous around these parts
Clutch slave cylinder going or gone. If clutch pedal is also stiff at cold start your clutch accumulator is also shot ( often go together). Known problem with 996TT. Some people do a conversion to GT2 clutch setup instead of replacing stock TT setup but this gives stiffer pedal, although better feel for engagement point.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:57 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Old 11-08-2009, 11:13 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
Thx for the info. I guess will have to get it done. yes, pedal is also stiff at cold start. I will just change them both out. I do like having a easy clutch pedal, i have the grip point memorized well, i had a 2000 c2 and didnt like its non-power assisted feel, maybe the gt2 is different.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
master cylinder...

Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 AM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
definately a bad slave and accumulator. make sure you get a new slave replacement part (2008 or newer), because they had problems with the earlier ones.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:27 PM
AdamW81 is infamous around these partsAdamW81 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhuang25
master cylinder...
its the slave not master...a bad master means the clutch pedal would be at the floor with no pressure.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM
great info everyone, does anyone have a part # for the 2008 + slave ? also, i like the light feeling of the pedal, its fast and easy for me, but, i am willing to try the gt2 conversion, i consider my current stock pedal at 8 of 10 easy pressure to depress it, how much harder is the gt2 force needed ?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by porschenaround
great info everyone, does anyone have a part # for the 2008 + slave ? also, i like the light feeling of the pedal, its fast and easy for me, but, i am willing to try the gt2 conversion, i consider my current stock pedal at 8 of 10 easy pressure to depress it, how much harder is the gt2 force needed ?

Stick with the stock clutch style if you like a light feel, the conversion makes it much heavier. Replacing the slave/accumulator is going to cost around $1200 at the dealer, the GT2 conversion is I believe $900 in parts and quite a bit of labor, probably another $500-$1000 in labor? Some of that may overlap removing the slave anyway though.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 PM
2LOW4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AdamW81
its the slave not master...a bad master means the clutch pedal would be at the floor with no pressure.
Has this happened to you? Only ask because my pedal has wound up on the floor twice, with the pentosin reservoir empty. First time it was after I sucked it out to the min level as it was being filled from the system, yeah bad slave. Second time it sat 2 days after I checked the level just below the max line. Was trying to put off installing the GT2 kit till I had some more work under the car. So you think it needs a master cylinder in addition to the GT2 kit?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by 2LOW4
Has this happened to you? Only ask because my pedal has wound up on the floor twice, with the pentosin reservoir empty. First time it was after I sucked it out to the min level as it was being filled from the system, yeah bad slave. Second time it sat 2 days after I checked the level just below the max line. Was trying to put off installing the GT2 kit till I had some more work under the car. So you think it needs a master cylinder in addition to the GT2 kit?
I haven't had a bad master, just heard the symptoms. I believe a bad master will leak in the back vs. being pushed up from resevoir in the front like the a bad slave. I'm sure your local tech could tell you in a few minutes of poking around. If you have a pentosin leak in the back you need to take care of it asap, that stuff is very flammable and will ignite on hot parts like your exhaust.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 AM
2LOW4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AdamW81
I haven't had a bad master, just heard the symptoms. I believe a bad master will leak in the back vs. being pushed up from resevoir in the front like the a bad slave. I'm sure your local tech could tell you in a few minutes of poking around. If you have a pentosin leak in the back you need to take care of it asap, that stuff is very flammable and will ignite on hot parts like your exhaust.
No leaks, only when front reservoir floods over. Try not to do the tech thing unless absolutely necessary, prefer to do my own work.

Thanks for the info and sorry to the OP for hijacking his thread.

Steve

Old 11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have the GT2 conversion...it is nice not having to worry about pentosin again. Look at T2's log...he has had a few slave/accumulators....I had 2 in 2 years...got sick of it. Seems to be a crap shoot and I am not sure that once the system is gummed up/contaminated if it makes later issues more likely...I just don't know.

Anyway, I am quite happy with the gt2 option...it is harder to press...but you feel the system way, way, way better.....the other was on/off at best for me.

Jeff

Old 11-10-2009, 02:35 PM
996garage is infamous around these parts996garage is infamous around these parts
I had exact same problem...it's either the clutch slave or accumulator. I replaced both just in case.

BTW - ONLY buy the part from a Porsche dealer, otherwise they will NOT warranty the part.(even if it is genuine Porsche part sealed in box) The dealer will claim the the part could be an older revision, so they don't have to warranty it.