996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cayenne brake discs on a 996 TT ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 AM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
Cayenne brake discs on a 996 TT ?

Just a crazy idea ... i must change my front rotors (upgraded rotors to 350/34 mm) 2/3 times a year !
I do many track days and we all know that, under hard conditions, they crack easily ... so, i was wondering if the front rotors of the Cayenne Turbo S could be a direct replacement for the 997 TT/GT3 rotors.
Some measurements:
997 TT/ GT3 : 350/34 mm Total height is 68,7 mm
Cayenne Turbo S: 350/34 mm Total height is 68,75 mm

I know that there are a lot of different variables that must be taken in consideration ... just wondering if anybody tried this before !!!
They are much cheaper, half the price and they are not drilled ... this means no cracks !

Opinions ?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:23 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ThePunisher
Just a crazy idea ... i must change my front rotors (upgraded rotors to 350/34 mm) 2/3 times a year !
I do many track days and we all know that, under hard conditions, they crack easily ... so, i was wondering if the front rotors of the Cayenne Turbo S could be a direct replacement for the 997 TT/GT3 rotors.
Some measurements:
997 TT/ GT3 : 350/34 mm Total height is 68,7 mm
Cayenne Turbo S: 350/34 mm Total height is 68,75 mm

I know that there are a lot of different variables that must be taken in consideration ... just wondering if anybody tried this before !!!
They are much cheaper, half the price and they are not drilled ... this means no cracks !

Opinions ?
They fit, I have them on my 996GT2 front. 5 track days and they are showing some surface crazing probably a couple more days left.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...PMS&perfCode=S

The only difference is the locking screws, "2" do not line up. I don't use them anyway so not a problem.

You have several options from Pelican Parts and Tire Rack.

Peter

Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 PM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
Thank you, that's what i thought !
So, you are using ATE rotors ... are they drilled or slotted ?
I think that Brembo too has them in stock ... i live in Italy and Brembo headquarters is 20 miles from my house ... so maybe Brembo could be the easiest choice for me !

Old 11-09-2009, 08:25 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
if you are on stock 996tt 4 piston calipers they will not fit.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
subscribing

Old 11-10-2009, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by oak
if you are on stock 996tt 4 piston calipers they will not fit.
No no, i'm on 6 pistons upgraded calipers with 997 TT 350 mm rotors.
I have made some research and i have found several options ... ATE as XPGT2 told before or Brembo ... i want to test a not drilled rotor to see how it works under hard conditions, if it cracks !

Old 11-10-2009, 12:58 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
oh ok, becareful if mounting these with out the alignment screws. if only slightly off centric it will prematurely wear on your pads.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
oh ok, becareful if mounting these with out the alignment screws. if only slightly off centric it will prematurely wear on your pads.
Are the hub bores the same size? If so the centering shouldn't be an issue. No? I would be less inclined to use them if they were a different size personally. Just curious. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
oak
it would be nice if the tolerances were machined that tight to where we didn't have to rely on the locating screws. there is some slop with out the locating screw, enough slop you can grab the disc and move the disc around.

some of the GT3 track guys have noticed excessive pad wear with the cayenne rotors, some haven't just depends if you get a set that is machined/matched to your hubs.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:36 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by VAGscum
Are the hub bores the same size? If so the centering shouldn't be an issue. No? I would be less inclined to use them if they were a different size personally. Just curious. Thanks.

The ATE are slotted but you can also get plain non slotted or drilled also. The rotors are hub centric and as I stated I have had no problem leaving the screws out. I do it on all my track/race cars. Makes changing rotors much easier, especially when the screws strip or break off.

They work on 6 piston 996GT3/GT2 front calipers 350mm x 34mm

Peter

Old 11-10-2009, 05:20 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XPGT2
The ATE are slotted but you can also get plain non slotted or drilled also. The rotors are hub centric and as I stated I have had no problem leaving the screws out. I do it on all my track/race cars. Makes changing rotors much easier, especially when the screws strip or break off.

They work on 6 piston 996GT3/GT2 front calipers 350mm x 34mm

Peter
Just a TIP for you. Harbor Freight sells an Impact Screwdriver for $6.99 that works wonders on these rotor screws.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37530

Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Ts997GT3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by XPGT2
They fit, I have them on my 996GT2 front. 5 track days and they are showing some surface crazing probably a couple more days left.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...PMS&perfCode=S

The only difference is the locking screws, "2" do not line up. I don't use them anyway so not a problem.

You have several options from Pelican Parts and Tire Rack.

Peter
I noticed you run the Cayenne S front rotors on your GT2. What do you run for rear rotors? I just bought a 2002 GT2 and want to track it but have heard horror stories about the factory ceramic rotors.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 11-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Ts997GT3
I noticed you run the Cayenne S front rotors on your GT2. What do you run for rear rotors? I just bought a 2002 GT2 and want to track it but have heard horror stories about the factory ceramic rotors.

Thanks,

Doug
Doug,

997 Cup Car rotors are a direct replacement 350mmx 28mm They are drilled but last an uber long time before cracking.

Peter