996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What brand of gas does everyone use??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I run 87oct.....

Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Powell
I run 87oct.....
Yea, at 1.7 bar

Old 11-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
I use either Shell 93, Sam's Club 93 & Sunoco 93.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
Federal requirement or not. As far as I know gasoline is still regulated locally by states, ie CA has no 93 octane and all the other boutique gasolines in other states. All I know is in MD BP is the only one without the Ethanol stickers on the pump. I see BP has the Ethanol sticker in other states.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Sunoco 93..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 PM
PyroKerry has a spectacular aura aboutPyroKerry has a spectacular aura about
BP 93 when I can.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 PM
David C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to all
Gasoline is a blend of fuels and other constituents. The constituents are altered, at least in some locations, during the coarse of the year producing summer and winter blends.

Refiners crack the oil molecule into the most efficient (profitable) constituents. Different oil molecules produce different concentrations of fuels. These fuels are blended to provide the gasoline supplied to the retailers. The increase availability of one fuel molecule likely means (with some provisions) that it will be part of the blend. As individual fuel molecule availability, or price, waxes and wanes so does it concentration in the final retail blend, again with provisions for octane rating and seasonal issues.

What you might, and I strongly emphasize might, be getting from different retailers is different additives; deposit modifiers, antioxidants, detergents, lubricants, metal deactivators, antirust agents and anti-icing agents (in season). How much these additives vary and their efficacy and importance between blends is, well, I don't know. I suspect there is very little difference between the additives in one blended product and another. While these additives can be very important they do not, for the most part, contribute to octane rating and hence power output.

I suspect that, at least, in some regions of the country, and from some suppliers you are likely getting the same exact blend at different branded retailers.

I also find it hard to believe that religously purchasing fuel from one supplier means that you are getting a consistent and uniform blend of fuel from month to month or year to year.

That you wouldn't buy Arco or Exxon and would buy Shell or Mobile, or vice versa, probably only demonstates the effect of marketing.

As several have already said "gas is gas".

Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Hedonistic is infamous around these parts
Up here in Canada, our Chevron stations have 94 (called "Supreme Plus"). The 94 has a separate nozzle from the riff-raff (reg/mid/supreme). Maybe just marketing. I'm curious to to see that most of you run Chevron 91, presumably the highest offered in your area.

Is our 94 the same as your 91? I find it hard to believe that we have a higher octane readily available.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:03 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
V-Power. Never ever thought I would care and it prob doesn't on most cares but the car is a little less restless with this gas - car has flash and plugs that are prob becoming due for a change in the next few thousand miles.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 AM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
I hate ARCO gas station because I don't want to wait 10 minutes inline to get change! I hate Costco even more because I waste 1/2 gallon of gas idling inline. I will use all major brand with 91 oct & up and no lines to wait!.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Michael-Dallas is infamous around these parts
I use QuikTrip. I used to use Chevron, then Shell, but switched to QuikTrip because it's the cheapest top tier gas in my area.

My personal belief: gas is gas, but if it's sold as a commodity from the refineries, then I'd like to think that it's sold by quality/grade, i.e. "top of the barrel" vs "bottom of the barrel". Add to that, the additive package, as referenced by toptiergas.com.

As far as the best additive package, I understand that Chevron is the leader in fuel additives and they license (if that's a good word) Techron to others.

Having said all that, I use Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus (NOT the ProGard) every now and then for fuel additive. There's plenty of threads on bobistheoilguy.com regarding fuel additives; Gumout Regane and Redline S1 are also favorites on that board.

///Michael

Last edited by Michael-Dallas; 11-11-2009 at 02:41 PM.