996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL ECU Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I talked to Tony at EPL the other day about upgrading to some bigger turbos as I'm on the stock turbo flash right now. Tony said he would give me a 75% credit towards a reflash if I got bigger turbos...I would have pulled the trigger but the EPL tune is so good right now I'm just not sure I want to mess with it.

Did you install the 72lb EPL injectors yourself or did you have someone do that? I hear it ma be difficult to do yourself. Harder than changing the Diverter valves?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
I'm working through some issues with Tony right now too. So far, so good and I'm on my second base map after changing to a Bosch MAF and stock airbox from my Evo Intake and Hitachi MAF. The A28's with 72 lb injectors and 5 bar FPR are pulling strong and I can now spin up the tires pretty easily (RWD) . We're chasing some stuff that could be hardware/install related but both sides seem to think the other is at fault... Frustrating as a customer and it can be tough when you are working with a different tuner/installer. I'll keep folks posted.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Hi Kato,
why're you changing back to Bosch Maf? I recently put Tial A28 and it blew Bosch Maf right away. (30sec drive, minimum boost) My car is getting Hitachi Maf and new Evom housing. I've been told that it is tough and better for high hp than oem Bosch.
Originally Posted by Kato
So far, so good and I'm on my second base map after changing to a Bosch MAF and stock airbox from my Evo Intake and Hitachi MAF.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by aroonkl
Hi Kato,
why're you changing back to Bosch Maf? I recently put Tial A28 and it blew Bosch Maf right away. (30sec drive, minimum boost) My car is getting Hitachi Maf and new Evom housing. I've been told that it is tough and better for high hp than oem Bosch.
When I originally contacted Tony he told me that he could easily tune for the Hitachi MAF and Evo Vflow. I had issues loading the map (we think attributed to firewall/security) that we finally got resolved. Once we got the base map on, my mechanic was doing some basic durametric testing and we were unable to get proper MAF readings at idle. After discussing with Tony I opted to drive the car with the MAF out at low rpms and boost (I was breaking in a new motor and clutch).

After much discussion, Tony felt that he could better tune my car for optimum control and driveability using the Bosch MAF and factory airbox (and given my hardware/setup). I proceeded to sell my Hitachi MAF and airbox and found a stock airbox and Bosch. We loaded the new file up (after similar issues) and the car began to run a bit better and I could begin to roll into the throttle. Unfortunately, I was experiencing continuous stalling issues having also installed a LWFW and Motorsports Clutch kit from Protomotive. They were worse without the MAF but they continued with the new airbox and MAF and map. They got slightly better over time but I am still chasing them intermittently. Tony and Autotalent and I are working through these issues and trying to determine their route cause. I am having the car inspected for the 3rd time at the shop to ensure that all of the install/hardware portion has gone correctly. I'm on the 3rd MAP with Tony and now at 1.2bar. The car feels great once warmed up and in the revs but still suffers from harsh/wobbly cold starts and intermittent stalling and refusal to restart right away.

I also had an instance of complete shutdown while on the freeway at speed one day. I popped the car into gear and tried to restart it but it would not come alive. I coasted to a safe stop at the side of the freeway and let the car sit for a minute. No lights, codes, nothing. I started the car back up and went on my merry way...

Finally, I'm getting ABS/PSM lights intermittenly but regularly since the new motor, LWFW/clutch and mapping.

For the record, I am NOT blaming Tony or EPL for these issues but am looking for feedback. Tony has been good in helping me troubleshoot and diagnose even though he hasn't physically touched my car. I am not on my "final" map yet but am hoping to get to the bottom of the annoying (and possibly dangerous) issues. If anybody has any ideas, feel free to share (via PM if not related to this thread) or in this thread if you think it'll benefit somebody in the future.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Did you do any cutting, splicing etc when you changed MAFs? Have you checked all your connections? I have an EPL tune and have been at 550-600whp for a very long time with my original MAF with no issues. Good luck, I hope you find your "bug".

Old 12-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
I also had an instance of complete shutdown while on the freeway at speed one day. I popped the car into gear and tried to restart it but it would not come alive. I coasted to a safe stop at the side of the freeway and let the car sit for a minute. No lights, codes, nothing. I started the car back up and went on my merry way...
Hey Kalon,

I emailed you earlier today to check in. I keep coming back to this instance that I bolded above. As I have told you in the past, there is physically NOTHING tune related just just makes a car shut off at speed (Im sure all here would agree). Find what caused this, and you will likely find your stalling issue.

Anyway, email me back when you have a few!

Old 12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Nope, no cutting or splicing. The hitachi has an adapter cable. Plug and play. We have rechecked everythign but it's going in for another once over... Fingers crossed! I just want my car back and running well! I hate issues like this... At least I can spin the tires at will now!

Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Nope, no cutting or splicing. The hitachi has an adapter cable. Plug and play. We have rechecked everythign but it's going in for another once over... Fingers crossed! I just want my car back and running well! I hate issues like this... At least I can spin the tires at will now!

Put the meth and driveshaft back in... we can make it happen AWD as well .

Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Check ALL of your ground cables/wires including the obvious battery cable and were IT connects to the chassis. Make sure it is clean and tight. Thats the most obvious thing to make a car just "shut off" while driving.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ttboost
Check ALL of your ground cables/wires including the obvious battery cable and were IT connects to the chassis. Make sure it is clean and tight. Thats the most obvious thing to make a car just "shut off" while driving.
I agree with the grounds. That was one of the first things I had told him to check.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
I agree with the grounds. That was one of the first things I had told him to check.

Right. A loose ground (or any wire) will cause the more grief than you can imagine.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
sc_trojan has a spectacular aura aboutsc_trojan has a spectacular aura about
I guess that some of the frustration you are having is partly the price we pay for doing things economically- different tuner, different installer, different parts vendor huh? I have been in similar situations many times. Sometimes I think after you add up all of the rental car fees, the time off work investigating on your own, time off from work second guessing everyone, time off from work to play messenger to relay messages from all the different parties- maybe the higher price of bringing it to a single shop isn't as expensive as it sounds???

The pesky PSM/ABS light can come on for a number of reasons as you already know. You really just need to read the codes immediately when when they come on and investigate what they really mean. I have had the CEL light come on and when I drove to the shop, there were no codes to read.

In my case the hot maf flim code had nothing to do with the maf since the maf values were correct, but the stalling, sluggishness and car stopping on the freeway had to do with a bad tb.

good luck buddy.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Good feedback. My battery has been a bit weak so I'm going to go ahead and swap it out. I'll have the cables/connections checked again as well....

Tony-I had already emailed you back and was waiting for feedback on the RPM bump that you mentioned. If you think it'll help, I'm game. Zolti liked that idea as well when I last spoke to him.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Former Vendor
Good feedback. My battery has been a bit weak so I'm going to go ahead and swap it out. I'll have the cables/connections checked again as well....

Tony-I had already emailed you back and was waiting for feedback on the RPM bump that you mentioned. If you think it'll help, I'm game. Zolti liked that idea as well when I last spoke to him.
You will have a file this evening =). Im out of the shop tomorrow, but email me feedback when you get a chance to load it!

Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 PM
ETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant future
OT, but when is the new website going to be up Tony?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EPL ECU Tuning