996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL ECU Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by sc_trojan
I guess that some of the frustration you are having is partly the price we pay for doing things economically- different tuner, different installer, different parts vendor huh? I have been in similar situations many times. Sometimes I think after you add up all of the rental car fees, the time off work investigating on your own, time off from work second guessing everyone, time off from work to play messenger to relay messages from all the different parties- maybe the higher price of bringing it to a single shop isn't as expensive as it sounds???

The pesky PSM/ABS light can come on for a number of reasons as you already know. You really just need to read the codes immediately when when they come on and investigate what they really mean. I have had the CEL light come on and when I drove to the shop, there were no codes to read.

In my case the hot maf flim code had nothing to do with the maf since the maf values were correct, but the stalling, sluggishness and car stopping on the freeway had to do with a bad tb.

good luck buddy.
I went with Tony because I thought he was the best and had the most experience tuning the A28s and meth (which isn't yet installed). My car already had the majority of the parts on it (prior Evo stage 4). I wish that he was closer and I could have done the single shop thing as it saves headaches when issues arise. Yes, all the time/energy does add up. Luckily this isn't my daily or there would be rental car fees as well!

We have actually run the codes on the ABS/PSM lights and we are getting an ECU communication error which nobody seems to know why. When I shut off the car, they go away. I had a similar issue a year or so ago and wound up changing my alternator and it basically went away. It's back with a vengeance unfortunately!

Oh, and I have a brand new 75mm TB (factory Porsche) and RSS 75mm Plenum installed...

Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
You will have a file this evening =). Im out of the shop tomorrow, but email me feedback when you get a chance to load it!
Great, thanks! I'll load it up and let you know. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this shortly so that I can enjoy the car fully. What is the max boost that I can run without the meth on CA 91?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kato
Great, thanks! I'll load it up and let you know. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this shortly so that I can enjoy the car fully. What is the max boost that I can run without the meth on CA 91?
1.3 ish with the proper tune. File sent!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 PM
sc_trojan has a spectacular aura aboutsc_trojan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
1.3 ish with the proper tune. File sent!
what service. we need tony here on the west coast. Tony- why dont you set up epl west? Isn't so cal a larger market than CT?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Tony. I'll load it and check all the rest of the stuff out and see where we are at.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sc_trojan
what service. we need tony here on the west coast. Tony- why dont you set up epl west? Isn't so cal a larger market than CT?
When CA gets 93 octane.... Ill consider .

BTW- you have a new file as well. Call Jonathan.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I have Tony's 1.3 bar/93 octane tune that was done for me live on the dyno with the K24/18G's and I absolutely love it (it's actually a shade over 1.3 bar, more like 1.32-1.33. Big difference from before, the car flies with this program and the part / mid throttle response is fantastic.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 12-10-2009, 10:32 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Tony how do you feel about tuning on a blow through Ford MAF? I'm pondering moving to short fenderwell intake pipes, intercoolers, and of course the MAF to support this via blow through.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 AM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Hope you find the bug soon. Datalog often. You should right away review data under trouble condition. (timing, maf, injector pulse, afr, load, tps etc) If some contact loose/malfunction eq and create bug, you might see in your logg. (it spikes to unreasonable high or low value, or suddenly shift in value . Just say partial thortle, TPS at 50-60% 1200-3000rpm& you feel stall around 2200rpm. And you see your maf value glitch higher at 2100. You will have to look close at maf or its wires. Check most key data around that rpm. ) And keep testing under problem circumstance. Datalog is sampling. It might miss to pick that jump value. If you repeat, you would be able to catch it. Good luck. (I hope it is not intermittant, it would make it harder to catch.)
Originally Posted by Kato
After much discussion, Tony felt that he could better tune my car for optimum control and driveability using the Bosch MAF and factory airbox (and given my hardware/setup). I proceeded to sell my Hitachi MAF and airbox and found a stock airbox and Bosch. We loaded the new file up (after similar issues) and the car began to run a bit better and I could begin to roll into the throttle.
Unfortunately, I was experiencing continuous stalling issues having also installed a LWFW and Motorsports Clutch kit from Protomotive. They were worse without the MAF but they continued with the new airbox and MAF and map.
I am having the car inspected for the 3rd time at the shop to ensure that all of the install/hardware portion has gone correctly. I'm on the 3rd MAP with Tony and now at 1.2bar. The car feels great once warmed up and in the revs but still suffers from harsh/wobbly cold starts and intermittent stalling and refusal to restart right away.

Last edited by aroonkl; 12-11-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:04 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Tony how do you feel about tuning on a blow through Ford MAF? I'm pondering moving to short fenderwell intake pipes, intercoolers, and of course the MAF to support this via blow through.
I forgot to mention to you BLK.... with the fenderwell pipes, be prepared to clean your filters often! There's something to be said with putting filters behind your rear tires(they get covered in rubber dust!)

Justin

Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by aroonkl
Hope you find the bug soon. Datalog often. You should right away review data under trouble condition. (timing, maf, injector pulse, afr, load, tps etc) If some contact loose/malfunction eq and create bug, you might see in your logg. (it spikes to unreasonable high or low value, or suddenly shift in value . Just say partial thortle, TPS at 50-60% 1200-3000rpm& you feel stall around 2200rpm. And you see your maf value glitch higher at 2100. You will have to look close at maf or its wires. Check most key data around that rpm. ) And keep testing under problem circumstance. Datalog is sampling. It might miss to pick that jump value. If you repeat, you would be able to catch it. Good luck. (I hope it is not intermittant, it would make it harder to catch.)
Thanks! I haven't yet started datalogging but will absolutely take your advice once I do. I am waiting for Tony to request that and provide me instructions and/or software. He is waiting on me to confirm whether or not I will be running the water/meth kit but I'm leaning towards not at this point given how I plan to use the car and to keep things as simple as possible moving forward and hopefully trouble free...

Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Meth is so maintenance free. I forget I have it until I have to fill it up every couple of weeks.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
I forgot to mention to you BLK.... with the fenderwell pipes, be prepared to clean your filters often! There's something to be said with putting filters behind your rear tires(they get covered in rubber dust!)

Justin
Hrm, lets discuss in say Markski's thread so as not to hijack this one - I thought that area was better sealed...

Kato, you may want to invest in the Durametric software. It will allow for datalogging as well as allow you to clear codes etc. I know that Tony had mentioned having software to do some logging once upon a time but I'm not sure how comprehensive the package was. I'll be interested to hear what he has up his sleeve

Old 12-11-2009, 06:15 PM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
+1 on meth. Good return on $$ invested. Not a hassle.

I am a low hassle factor guy and buy Boost Juice premixed via mail order. It's as simple as filling up your washer fluid every few tankfuls and if you forget, it knows when it's empty and simple doesn't spray or allow higher boost to build (with EPL tune).

Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joe731
+1 on meth. Good return on $$ invested. Not a hassle.

I am a low hassle factor guy and buy Boost Juice premixed via mail order. It's as simple as filling up your washer fluid every few tankfuls and if you forget, it knows when it's empty and simple doesn't spray or allow higher boost to build (with EPL tune).
Have you run any 60-130's yet? Probably kinda late now...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EPL ECU Tuning