996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tiptronic Information Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
ahhh!! yes most certainly will leak. this is what it looks like in there. the gears in the foreground go on the center shaft. the output shaft gear (which turns front wheels) on the left turns the middle gear which turns the gear on the right. this, turns the shaft that goes along side the transmission (the one in the video) which turns the rear wheels. if that gear is messed up you will be SOL. i cant find that baby ANYWHERE!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01452.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	519.8 KB
ID:	277498   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01454.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	585.8 KB
ID:	277499  
Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 PM
maor is infamous around these parts
Should have pointed out.

This is a 722.6 C2s. So RWD only, not front wheels being driven.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Lol...those photos are of C2, so it's the same. The 4WD just have a yolk on the end. Not a major difference.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 AM
I see, is it straight forward getting that back off?

Is it a case of removing the bolts along the back of the tranny and pulling it off?

Tremendous help, seriously you have no idea!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 AM
So my issue in theory should be in teh circled area?

Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 AM
yep...or the bearing seen in photo that receives it. that gear turns the pinion shaft that seems to be making noise in video.

the housing simply unbolts and with some manual encouragement comes right off. might as well drain the fluid, pull the pan, and change the filter while in there.

Originally Posted by maor
So my issue in theory should be in teh circled area?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01777.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	687.0 KB
ID:	277557  
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM
So basically I need to pray that it is that bearing that is causing all the issues not the pinion gear behind it.

It if it is that pinion gear then I am screwed.

If it is the bearing I have a future!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Would this have anything to do with the whine I get off throttle at 70 mph?

Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM
well..................

i have one, iv got the whole unit. the gear, the bearings, ring, pinion, rear differential, you name it! i even have a full rebuild kit ready to go! i have a tiptronic project ongoing as seen here https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ear-ratio.html but its on hold for a bit. im not convinced i can use the rear differential ring and pinion but im just not certain yet. its not unreasonable to think that i could get rid of some select parts, but keep in mind these are very rare parts to find separate. lets just wait and see what you have going on before we go down that road. il certainly work with you if its a part i think i can spare.

also keep in mind that you can get a working tiptronic off ebay for $2500 (plus removal and instal probably $1000) or less. if your problem is in the gear, bearing, or pinion you have some cost saving options but if its in the ring pinion assembly it must come out for repairs and would likely end up costing more than a replacement. if your repair estimate are anywhere near $2500 id just go with a replacement

if the noise is coming from coming from the end where the gear is i would put my money on the gear or bearing. if there is some play from the ring and pinion end (bell housing end) then it could certainly be a factor.

So basically I need to pray that it is that bearing that is causing all the issues not the pinion gear behind it.

It if it is that pinion gear then I am screwed.

If it is the bearing I have a future!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM
CBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant future
$2500 for a used tip? That sounds pretty darn cheap to me.

I found this for $7K.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...676&cmd=VIDESC

Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 PM
In the UK guys!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:36 PM
hes in a C2 not s turbo. he needs one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-Porsche-9...ed0efb&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted by CBADtt
$2500 for a used tip? That sounds pretty darn cheap to me.

I found this for $7K.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...676&cmd=VIDESC

Old 09-08-2013, 04:45 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone has this software? How do you like it?

http://www.evomsit.com/Tiptronic%20T...96TT-final.pdf

Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by David9962000
Anyone has this software? How do you like it?

http://www.evomsit.com/Tiptronic%20T...96TT-final.pdf
I have heard it's a waste of money! No improvement at all!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 PM
1braincell is infamous around these parts
Moar,
Any luck figuring out this issue? I seem to be having the exact same problem with my tip. Have it out of the car and ready to open up the transfer case - any advise would be appreciated.
Thx.

Dear Pumptech,

thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my problem.

1 gearbox rebuilder said a knocking can't come from a bearing, a whine yes but not a knock and that it's probably worn cogs, aka a new tranny time.

Another person said it could be the bearings causing the issue.

Everyone else wanted to take a look first.

What I meant was, if I take that back cover off where the yellow arrow is pointing, will ATF leak out or Diff fluid?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Information Thread