996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

so i got called out by a ZR1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 04:32 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
SultonOfCars, Sure you can take any sh1tbox and make it fast. It'll still be a sh1tbox. The difference here is that both the ZR1 and the 996TT have a level of class and sophistication that you either "get" and appreciate, or you don't. Kinda like eating a fine Filet Mignon at an expensive restraunt or going to Ruby Tuesday. If you won't appreciate the Filet, don't bother wasting the money on the meal.

Now, you've called people TWITs and TOOLs... I recommend you knock off the personal insults or you might find yourself on the outside looking in. Got it?

Mike

Old 11-29-2009, 06:27 AM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Owned

So it's ok to assume that your ZR-1 can run much faster times than the magazines in great conditions, but the CGT can't?

How many magazines have trapped 133 mph in a ZR-1? You are about 3mph faster. And a lot of that has to do with hardly any of the mags testing at the best tracks in the country like the ones you get to drive at.

But I'm sure there are a lot of CGT's at the track when you go, especially ones with good drivers in them.

Food for thought, you have the fastest (by a good margin) K24 trap (without much weight reduction, meth etc.) that we know of. It takes a K24/18g at least to run with a CGT and since you seem to buy the fastest one of every car that you buy, I'd bet you'd be way faster in an 18g car than that 129 mph, and hence way faster in a CGT than that as well.
Owned? Whats that supposed to mean? How old are you like 12? Thats one report, that doesn't make it the final word or even accurate for that matter!

So my point doesn't get twisted by you, let me say I love the Carrera and all Porsches for that matter but just because I own a couple Porsches and I really like them doesn't automatically make them the greatest thing ever, because their not as there are a lot of really cool cars made IMO and I have respect for them all, and if you look at my signature you will see I practice what I preach, I am not a homer that buys something then claims it the greatest, you know like you!

I think it would be safe to say a 10.7 133 mph 1/4 mile run would give me as good if not better 60-130 as any published Carrera run ever made, and the difference is mine isn't a magazine article its real world and if you go over to the corvette forum you can probably watch a video of it.

Also I didn't say the Carrera couldn't do it, I just don't think its very likely as the clutch is not very user friendly for launching (a friend of mine had one and said the clutch is super grabby and hard to get used to) and the fact that the Carrera has about 30 less hp and 170 less ft lb of torque than the ZR1, that is a big deficit to try and make up with driving ability IMO.

I am sure you realize trq gets the car moving (435 to ZR1's 602) and hp sustains it (612 to ZR1's 638).

Believe what you want, but if you ever get a chance head out to the track and you might be surprised the difference from published times and actual track times!

Last edited by jamie furman; 11-29-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DJ'sZ
Someone has the right idea...

if both are yours, you make me sick

Old 11-29-2009, 06:58 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jamie furman
Owned? Whats that supposed to mean? How old are you like 12? Thats one report, that doesn't make it accurate!

So my point doesn't get twisted by you, let me say I love the Carrera and all Porsches for that matter but just because I own a couple Porsches and I really like them doesn't automatically make them the greatest thing ever, because their not as there are a lot of really cool cars made IMO and I have respect for them all.

I think it would be safe to say a 10.7 133 mph 1/4 mile run would give me as good if not better 60-130 as any published Carrera run ever made, and the difference is my isn't a magazine article its real world and if you go over to the corvette forum you can probably watch a video of it.

Also I didn't say the Carrera couldn't do it, I just don't think its very likely as the clutch is not very user friendly for launching (a friend of mine had one and said the clutch is super grabby and hard to get used to) and the fact that the Carrera has about 30 less hp and 170 less ft lb of torque than the ZR1, that is a big deficit to try and make up with driving ability IMO.

I am sure you realize trq gets the car moving (435 to ZR1's 602) and hp sustains it (612 to ZR1's 638).

Believe what you want, but if you ever get a chance head out to the track and you might be surprised the difference from published times and actual track times!

Very nice retort Jamie. Just been observing this thread but felt the need to post.

This guy (Heavy Chevy) is the epitome of fanboi. ANY, and I mean ANY Porsche vs Corvette thread --- you know he will be posting. I'd bet an assload of money on it.

I've seen plenty of vids and timeslips of your cars/runs and would trust your opinon over virtually anybody's on here. On top of that, you are a true car enthusiast REGARDLESS of the badge on the hood.

For the record - I'm not saying the guy running his piehole doesn't deserve to be put in his place. He does.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:02 AM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by amerlemans
I've seen plenty of vids and timeslips of your cars/runs and would trust your opinon over virtually anybody's on here. On top of that, you are a true car enthusiast REGARDLESS of the badge on the hood.
X2...One thing I can say after years of reading on the CF Jamie is someone that walks the walk with a stable of cars only some of us can dream of. Thanks for joining the thread Jamie...

Old 11-29-2009, 08:17 AM
CHAOS236 is infamous around these partsCHAOS236 is infamous around these parts
"Boy I cannot wait to trade in one of my porsches to get a : Z,Supra,NSX,Vette,STI,Mitsu,ect..."

I have never heard a porsche owner say that !

Old 11-29-2009, 08:28 AM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Now you have me wondering....dammit! How easy are these cars to mod? I would think fairly easy since they are already built for FI.
Very easily Doc...this one is mild. I've seen a couple around the 670rwhp mark with an insane amount of TQ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNN8WZZiubs

Last edited by DJ'sZ; 11-29-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
The graph looks like around 600 rwhp/600 rwtq. Just a ECU flash?

Old 11-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Now you have me wondering....dammit! How easy are these cars to mod? I would think fairly easy since they are already built for FI.
Sean - Keep your GT2. Trust me.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:36 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
heres the deal after the race they guy gets in a corvette and you drive home in a p car.... both cars fell great when your drivin but nobody else really cares except u, so you made the right chorice and so did the vett driver. of course he will now know what p car tail lights look like....enjoy the race and be safe. i'll stick to the twisties!!

years ago while driving down the road with my wife(in an old vette) i saw a nice f car go by mentioned to my wife wish i had one of those.. her responce was bet he doesn't have 6 corvettes a 56 chev and a 76 turbo... i said not a word

Old 11-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
The graph looks like around 600 rwhp/600 rwtq. Just a ECU flash?
Not sure of the "bolt-ons" Scott...It's about a 60rwhp increase so I'm thinkin' headers & tune...? Surely not a pulley change for that small of an increase.

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Sean - Keep your GT2. Trust me.
Just can't see Sean driving any American muscle...would be too much car for you Doc.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jamie furman
Owned? Whats that supposed to mean? How old are you like 12? Thats one report, that doesn't make it the final word or even accurate for that matter!
No it just means you got caught with your foot in your mouth, just wanted to point that out.

So my point doesn't get twisted by you, let me say I love the Carrera and all Porsches for that matter but just because I own a couple Porsches and I really like them doesn't automatically make them the greatest thing ever, because their not as there are a lot of really cool cars made IMO and I have respect for them all, and if you look at my signature you will see I practice what I preach, I am not a homer that buys something then claims it the greatest, you know like you!

I could care less what you love, that's not the point. I love Corvette's too, and have owned them. Never said they were the greatest thing ever, which to me is another car you have, the ACR.

BTW, stop trying to make this personal and deal with the facts.

I think it would be safe to say a 10.7 133 mph 1/4 mile run would give me as good if not better 60-130 as any published Carrera run ever made, and the difference is mine isn't a magazine article its real world and if you go over to the corvette forum you can probably watch a video of it.

The POINT my friend is that you have the fastest of any ZR-1 time too, so it would only be fair to test a CGT under the same conditions with the same kind of driver don't ya think? To keep it consistent? As opposed to comparing your way faster than magazine time directly to a magazine time or as you would have it an assumed to be slower than magazine time.

Whoah, you said Porsche never made a car that can pull a ZR-1 stock to stock. That has nothing to do with launches.

Kinda, torque AND gearing get a car moving (think torque multiplier). Not to mention the ZR-1 has some weight over the CGT. Not to mention power bands, aero drag and all the other components of acceleration (which come into play BIG at 130 mph as you mentioned). You can never guess how fast any car is by looking at it's torque graph and knowing it's weight. Acceleration is a conglomerate of things.

Not to mention the ZR-1 can't use all of the torque down low anyways, so much of it will go unused. By the time all of it is useful, you are getting into hp, aero, gearing which we have to assume the CGT has the advantage due to the proximity of the numbers since it's way overmatched in torque.

I do know that between yourself, ranger, wanted etc. that one of you would run faster than the magazines in most any car as you've done in every other car you've driven. That rule may apply to scrubs at the drag strip but not to you guys. Name one car that YOU haven't been able to match or beat the magazine published times for stock (both E.T. and trap speed)..........

My point is that you can't assume it would be slower in your hands when all the evidence supports otherwise. And just being equal is about enough.

Amerlemans, aren't you the same guy who said a Z06 interior was better quality than a 996?

And I'm a homer?

Get outta here.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by DJ'sZ
Not sure of the "bolt-ons" Scott...It's about a 60rwhp increase so I'm thinkin' headers & tune...? Surely not a pulley change for that small of an increase.
Ya, I was thinking a pulley swap with supporting "bolt-ons" should give it 650+ rwhp or so.

Just can't see Sean driving any American muscle...would be too much car for you Doc.
If he could keep his GT2 and get a ZR1, I say go for it. That would be one heck of a garage. But if he can only choose one, I'd have to strongly recommend that he keeps the GT2. No offense...

Old 11-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
That's the beauty of lower displacement, higher revving, high hp cars. The torque is shifted a little to the right and progressive so you don't waste time roasting the tires. Plus with the engine in the back above the tires, it has a huge traction advantage.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Scott and Dennis,

The GT2 is going no-where....I would be replacing the M3. I was pissed at her because she was giving me grief lately (was primarily looking at a C63) but I have gotten her running well (actually my mechanic, and I had to work out some stuff w/ him as well).

Now that she is not giving me any grief, she is secure in my devotion (sounds like a girlfriend/wife scenario)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: so i got called out by a ZR1