996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

so i got called out by a ZR1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
My experiences have been different. My '06 Z (less than 6k miles on it when I sold it), while being a very nice and VERY fast car overall, was leagues beneth either of my P-cars (an ancient '01 and nearly as ancient '03) in terms of build quality.

Just my opinion, of course.

Scott - I think our definitions of build quality are a little different and that's cool. I think I mentioned previously, I was talking about interiors, rattles, etc.

I would never say that a modern (C5 or C6) Vette's paint, panel seams lining up,etc. are on the same level as a Porsche. They're not.

Please don't construe this as me "carrying the water" for Vettes. It certainly is not my intent.

I was talking about the 996 interior materials and quality along with the rattles, squeaks, vibrations of very new 997s.

These are issues with 2009 997's on this very forum

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-2-c4-cab.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-rattles.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...es-breaks.html

I just don't think this interior is worthy of a $120K+ car. Just my opinion which probably doesn't mean much either on this forum

Attached Images  

Last edited by amerlemans; 11-29-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
HAHAH Amerlemans talking himself into a hole again.

There must be a whole lot of suckers then because there were a lot of Turbos and GT2's sold at new, and used for over 100k and several years old used for over 100k.

Just face the facts that you are delirious. The Vette is great, but hardly any of that has to do with it's interior, which is not the same quality, or anything you said as the 996's.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Scott - I think our definitions of build quality are a little different and that's cool. I think I mentioned previously, I was talking about interiors, rattles, etc.
Ya, I'm talking overall. Pistons, transmission, half-shafts, rocker-arms, paint, clutch, brakes, etc..

I'll take a few squeeks over that type of stuff and day.

Sure, no manufacturer is perfect, but let's not forget that Porsche has been #1 in JD power's initial quality tests in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2nd in 2009.

Please don't construe this as me "carrying the water" for Vettes. It certainly is not my intent.

I was talking about the 996 interior materials and quality along with the rattles, squeaks, vibrations of very new 997s.
I completely understand your points and I realize you are no brand *****.

I am still a big fan of the Z06 and ZR1 as well. That fact will never change.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
HAHAH Amerlemans talking himself into a hole again.

There must be a whole lot of suckers then because there were a lot of Turbos and GT2's sold at new, and used for over 100k and several years old used for over 100k.

Just face the facts that you are delirious. The Vette is great, but hardly any of that has to do with it's interior, which is not the same quality, or anything you said as the 996's.
Who mentioned anything about suckers? You really need to take a lesson in reading comprehension.

I'll locate 5 times more 996TT's today for less than $55K than those for over that amount.

Find me one stock 996TT that has sold for over $100K in the last year. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Like I said before, your screen name is Heavy Chevy which came from when you were the posterchild fanboi for Vettes when you had your C5. Then you bought a Porsche and now you are their posterchild fanboi. Too funny.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Ya, I'm talking overall. Pistons, transmission, half-shafts, rocker-arms, paint, clutch, brakes, etc..

I'll take a few squeeks over that type of stuff and day.

Sure, no manufacturer is perfect, but let's not forget that Porsche has been #1 in JD power's initial quality tests in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2nd in 2009.

I completely understand your points and I realize you are no brand *****.

I am still a big fan of the Z06 and ZR1 as well. That fact will never change.
I'll take the mechancial reliability of a 996TT anyday of the week. When I had my '03 996TT it was out of waranty at the end and I wasn't worried in the least (except for 2nd gear pop out issue). They are bulletproof.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
And I'm talking a lot more than interior rattles and groans... How about broken torque tubes, weak connecting rods, broken valve springs, cylinder liners that unseat themselves? My C5 left me stranded at the track with plenty of broken drivetrain parts... First hand experience, right here.

Jim McNemar has a car that has been well documented in at least one magazine article and is used in LG motorsports advertisements as the Ultimate Trackday weapon... With 1100 miles on the motor #7 cylinder liner just let go and made a milkshake. 1100 miles on a 2008 model Z06? Yea, that's build quality.

No thanks.

Mike

Old 11-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Mikelly
And I'm talking a lot more than interior rattles and groans... How about broken torque tubes, weak connecting rods, broken valve springs, cylinder liners that unseat themselves? My C5 left me stranded at the track with plenty of broken drivetrain parts... First hand experience, right here.

Jim McNemar has a car that has been well documented in at least one magazine article and is used in LG motorsports advertisements as the Ultimate Trackday weapon... With 1100 miles on the motor #7 cylinder liner just let go and made a milkshake. 1100 miles on a 2008 model Z06? Yea, that's build quality.

No thanks.

Mike
From today. See post #6.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2634986

I'm done with this. It has gone way off topic. I'm not about to say that Porsche's mechanical issues are on par with anything put out from Government Motors but they ALL have their faults/issued. Some just more than others.

I'll keep tuned to see if the guy with the big mouth puts his money where his mouth is.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
And I ignored your post #6 because I own a 996TT and have not experienced the same issues that you outline with your 997.

Mike

Old 11-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
While I really like the ZO6 and consider it a car worthy of owning, I do believe that quality as a whole is no where near Porsche, but then again it is expected for the price differential. However, you look into a vettes interior and there is lots of plastic all over. Look into a porsche and you see leather all over. Like Ferrari, Aston etc. It is a GT cruiser. Then you have the carbon option, etc. Rattles? hardly, and definitely not like what happens with most american cars. Just a fact of life. The japanese cars have much better build quality than american cars and this includes the GTR over the vette. Just better attention to detail. We can build great planes, ships, and guns, but we can't built a long lasting car to save our lives. SAD

Old 11-29-2009, 04:09 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
While this thread has gone off on quite a tangent, I will add to it by saying that I believe that any year Porsche is light years better in quality than the same year Chevy, period.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:10 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
local fella here thats a bit of a poor soul just purchased a ZR1 and thinks its the fastest thing on earth, hes talking all sorts of smack about running me etc etc, i was blowing it off but now hes getting a bit personal and is getting under my skin so its on!! planing on this weekend , will run him at 1.6 bars on straight c16 ... stay tuned for vid coverage.
when is this happening ?

Old 11-29-2009, 04:13 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buzzm
when is this happening ?
Whew, thanks for getting us back on track Hopefully they ran today, that would be so nice to finallyl see it happen and read about it tonight and watch the videos.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:18 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Scott and Dennis,

The GT2 is going no-where....I would be replacing the M3. I was pissed at her because she was giving me grief lately (was primarily looking at a C63) but I have gotten her running well (actually my mechanic, and I had to work out some stuff w/ him as well).

Now that she is not giving me any grief, she is secure in my devotion (sounds like a girlfriend/wife scenario)
I thought your comparison shopping led you to a Kia?

Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Real world test is always way to go

Here modded 997tt vs H/C 575rwhp C6ZO6 on NITTO INVO Tires..rolling 20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPGTDzeBZz4

High rolling 62

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierK4BDPIHo

Even those stage2 GT-R couldn't keep up LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPsP0q4YDQc

Old 11-29-2009, 05:40 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
scott as i said before i'm heavly invested in popcorn for tonite. me to hpoe it's on the board tonite

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: so i got called out by a ZR1