996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

fair mark-up for indy shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:36 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
fair mark-up for indy shop

what should i expect to be charged for a mark-up by an indy shop on parts they are installing ?

my current guy wont install parts that he hasnt bought, is this common ? i was surprised when he told me this, i wouldnt mind paying a certain percentage of the cost of the part or a flat rate for him to install it for me but like to be able to buy my own parts, (he is charging a friend of mine 1367 for a part that i found online for 770.00 shipped)

Old 11-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
You need another shop. My guy tried to charge $69 each for coil packs I got from Suncoast for $44. However he is not giving me any problems over using their parts.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 11-25-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Shop made things right!
Old 11-25-2009, 06:59 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
You need another shop. My guy tried to charge $69 each for coil packs I got from Suncoast for $44.

He tried to assert that the Suncoast parts might be fake but did not go so far as to refuse to install them.
Seriously?!?! WOW. Did he know you paid $44 for them.

I also don't think there is a straight answer for this question to be honest. The mark up on different parts is going to vary. And remember your installer can most likely get the parts cheaper than you can allowing him to make a little money too. He is trying to make his living.

I know a friend who is the manager of a service department showed me an invoice from one of his suppliers. The part was an Axle for an A4 Audi. Cost to the shop was $87.00 suggested retail price on the suppliers invoice was $890.00. While my friend only charged the customer $180 not all shops will be so nice.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:00 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
so most shops are ok installing parts that they did not purchase ?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
most the time they balk at offering a warranty if its not parts they got through their supplier. see what you can work out see if he will order it through your source or work on the price. but if he wont then there is someone else who will work with you, business is tough these days and if he wont work with you someone else will.

if the part is new and in good shape whats the issue?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
You need another shop. My guy tried to charge $69 each for coil packs I got from Suncoast for $44.

He tried to assert that the Suncoast parts might be fake but did not go so far as to refuse to install them.

sean which shop was this? you can pm if you like

Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buzzm
so most shops are ok installing parts that they did not purchase ?
In my experience, most shops are ok with installing new parts that they did not purchase but it would be hard pressed to find a shop to install used parts. For example, I had installed a used brembo bbk on my m3 and the shop told me that they wouldn't have done it if I told them before I dropped the car off that the parts were used.

Originally Posted by bmoores
Seriously?!?! WOW. Did he know you paid $44 for them.

I also don't think there is a straight answer for this question to be honest. The mark up on different parts is going to vary. And remember your installer can most likely get the parts cheaper than you can allowing him to make a little money too. He is trying to make his living.

I know a friend who is the manager of a service department showed me an invoice from one of his suppliers. The part was an Axle for an A4 Audi. Cost to the shop was $87.00 suggested retail price on the suppliers invoice was $890.00. While my friend only charged the customer $180 not all shops will be so nice.
It amazes me that some shops don't seem to understand the power of the internet and car forums. Some shops don't realize that consumers can buy parts online (and most of the time, a lot more convenient) at far better prices. I don't mind the shop charging more for labor but it seems some shops try to wring you dry for every cent.

This is why I will only take my car to Steve at DriverSource. VERY competitive rates and very honest.

Edwin

Old 11-25-2009, 09:17 AM
i'm a very loyal person and dont mind paying extra for good service and quality work but have a hard time justifying spending twice as much just because the mechanic is calling in the order to the vendor, i understand he needs to make a profit but that kind of mark-up just seems wrong to me

Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Edwin,

I am thinking of taking my M3 to DS. I only wish they were a bit closer. I mentioned to you in another thread about the charges on my M3 but I am still trying to work things out w/ my current shop (which is why I don't want to publicly mention their name).

Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I'd say it will be hit or miss.

When a shop does a job, it comes with a workmanship warranty- if something goes wrong, they (supposedly) get to re-do it. Their argument is "if we eat the labor for a bad part, then we keep the profit on the parts".

I suspect this policy will vary with:

1, Economic times- busy shops don't need to compromised
2. Shops familiarity with the car, and the specific parts/vendors you are choosing
3. Relationship with you.
4. Type of part- likelihood of problems/issues
5. How much they are already making on just labor.

I just DIY as much as I can....

A

Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Update/edit* My shop made up for this overcharge 100% (essentially gave me a free hour of diagnostic work)

I agree...shops are a business not a charity. $20 an hour for a decent tech plus 10 for his benefits, double that for the costs of running a shop plus another 30 for profit so a shop has to charge $90-100 an hour to be economically viable. And some tools are very expensive (like a GT1 diagnostic tool).

I have no problem paying $100 for good work (more in places like NY, CA where labor/business costs are higher) and even a small diagnostice fee on top of that if warrented.

What I do have a problem with is being billed 2-3 times the actual time it took to do a job. I just recently DIYed (OK...I just held the flashlight something that I was charged 3 hours on. It took one hour and six minutes to actually do.

That was a small job and no big deal...it becomes a big deal when it is extrapolated to a big job.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 11-25-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Shop made things right!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:06 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buzzm
i'm a very loyal person and dont mind paying extra for good service and quality work but have a hard time justifying spending twice as much just because the mechanic is calling in the order to the vendor, i understand he needs to make a profit but that kind of mark-up just seems wrong to me
Absolutely agree 100% the mark up's should not be outlandish. Most shops don't make a whole lot more than 10% on parts and certainly no more than 30% on the cheap stuff.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
I agree...shops are a business not a charity. $20 an hour for a decent tech plus 10 for his benefits, double that for the costs of running a shop plus another 30 for profit so a shop has to charge $90-100 an hour to be economically viable. And some tools are very expensive (like a GT1 diagnostic tool).

I have no problem paying $100 for good work (more in places like NY, CA where labor/business costs are higher) and even a small diagnostice fee on top of that if warrented.

What I do have a problem with is being billed 2-3 times the actual time it took to do a job. I just recently DIYed (OK...I just held the flashlight something that I was charged 3 hours on. It took one hour and six minutes to actually do.

That was a small job and no big deal...it becomes a big deal when it is extrapolated to a big job.
Haha... that's really what I like about Steve. Everytime I bring my car in, he tells me he will only charge me the time he works on the car and not by what the industry book says...oh that and Steve took my car to get the inspection & gas... can't beat that service

Edwin

Old 11-25-2009, 10:45 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
My shop has a posted sign that charges $25 more per hour to install customer parts. Sure he'd like to get the parts profit too, but I'm not going for it. He does charge by what the book says, which irks me, but for the honesty, timely service he gives, the kid glove treatment of the car, and great relationship we have, I really can't complain. Others I have been to were much worse. Oh, and the one time he made a mis-diagnosis of a problem and part, he owned up to it and refunded my money. That right there showed me I was at the right shop.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:43 AM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
One of the things I love about this forum is experiences shared. Some times I will find out from fellow 6-speeders what something should cost to have fixed or installed. It gives me leverage to negotiate with my Indy. If your Indy will not work with you, then find one that will.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: fair mark-up for indy shop