996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who uses something other then 0w-40 Mobil 1 and why

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Valvoline VR1 20W-50. I've been using it for the past 4 years because it contains Zn & P , and also because my tuner recommends it over anything else for a P-car.

More info: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...acing-oil.html

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems
Until the oil manufacturers began reducing Zn & P from oils about 4 years ago, cams and rockers lasted the life of the engine unless the spray bars became obstructed or a poor grade of oil was used (thats another whole subject).

With the mandated reduction of Zn & P, we've collected a significant number of failed cams and rockers in all 911 engines with mileages ranging from 20K to 80K. Having been in this business since 1975, the difference in the frequency of camshaft failures has been starkly apparent with the changes in oil formulations. I've not even addressed the issues with other engine parts such as intermediate shaft gears, as well.

For these and other reasons, we recommend the use of a premium oil containing 1200ppm of Zn & P for all 911 owners to ensure long engine component life. Naturally, oil change frequency is critical and we advise that the factory oil change recommendations should be shortened up for cars subjected to short trips.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 12-01-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
You may be right in using VR-1, but I don't have the guts to try it in my car.

I plan to stick with M1 5w-50 (5w-40 if cold). My fear is variocam starvation and the heat of the turbos. I suppose I am being overly cautious....

Here is my theory: the 5 to flow to the variocam stuff fast to avoid wear..the 50 to be good when the engine is hot.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 11-30-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Mobil 1 5W-50.

Why? Because Kevin (UMW) suggested I run it.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
5W50 during track season, 0W40 during winter. I have read that the oil in a Porsche also acts as hydraulic fluid for the VarioCam.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:19 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
5w50 during track season, 0w40 during winter. I have read that the oil in a porsche also acts as hydraulic fluid for the variocam.
+1...

Old 12-01-2009, 02:46 AM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
Elf 5w-50

Because it's cheaper than M1 5w-50 (at least in Japan)

Old 12-01-2009, 04:57 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MBailey
I use Mobile 1 5W-50. Its the highest viscosity approved by Porsche and I like the extra protection in the higher temps we face here in Texas. This viscosity is not sold in regular parts stores in the US but my Porsche dealer gets it for me.
Ditto this, just substitute TX for FL!

I get mine on line.

SWR

Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
google zddp for information about what it is and where to buy.

Last edited by cjv; 12-01-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:21 PM
otb996 is infamous around these partsotb996 is infamous around these parts
That oil test was very interesting... being a person who used AMSoil on my previous cars to good success, I'm disappointed they weren't in the test to see how they stack up. I can say though, that I used the AMSoil race dominator line of oil in my EVO X that made 425 awhp and I was thrilled with it. I'd like to see if anyone is using AMSoil in their p-cars.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
That's funny. I was an AMSOIL dealer at one point and won't run the stuff in any of my cars!

Mike

Old 12-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
That's funny. I was an AMSOIL dealer at one point and won't run the stuff in any of my cars!

Mike
The dominator line is actually good oil.. Plenty of zinc and phosphorus and worked well in our Evo race motors..

Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Mother is infamous around these parts
Live in AZ 15/50 Mobile 1 one in all my cars and buy it by the 5 quart container at walmart.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
It's time to add this to the archive of discussions in the Library of Congress...subsection...Porsche Oil Perferences....Pros and Cons of Various Attributes.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Here's some more information on Zn and P with regard to your Porsche motor, and why Protomotive recommends using Valvoline VR1 instead of Mobile 1. You guys that drive your cars hard should really look hard at this stuff. Mobil 1 isn't the same oil it was back when Porsche initially tested it for use in their engines.

Originally Posted by lmengineering.com
Porsche recommends and uses Mobil 1 0w40 as a factory fill in new vehicles and their 15w50 has been a popular choice used by many in the aftermarket in aircooled models.

Oil companies have been cutting back on the use of Zn and P as anti-wear additives and switching to alternative zinc-free (ZF) additives and ash-less dispersants in their new low SAPS oils since Zn, P, and sulfated ash have been found to be bad for catalytic converters.

Porsche’s recommendation in hand, our initial analysis from 2005 and 2006 and from virgin oil analyses going back to the 1990s, we found that the older formulations of Mobil lubricants tested, including Mobil 1, have had higher Zn and P content than current SM formulations. Even current "re-introduced" formulations are not the original formulations many shops and owners were used to. Aside from reduced Zn and P levels (now restored in certain products), many products with "adequate" Zn and P still use high levels of Ca detergents, well documented in various SAE publications as known for causing more wear than Ca/Mg or Ca/Mg/Na detergents, as previously used in oils like Mobil 1 15w50, back when it was API SH/SJ rated and prior to reformulation.

This confirms the industry wide trend of the reduction of Zn and P from motor oils and switch to Ca-based detergents, with the eventual reduction to 0.06-0.08% or even worse, the elimination of these additives, which are essential to a Porsche engine's longevity. Depending on how detergent an oil is and which detergents are used, optimal Zn and P levels can range from 1200 to 1500 ppm, lower detergency oils requiring less Zn and P.

Many Porsche repair shops have acknowledged that these newest SM and CJ-4 motor oils are not sufficient for protecting any Porsche engine, including newer water-cooled ones.
http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...arts-p-60.html

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf (85.0 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 12-01-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Here's some more information on Zn and P with regard to your Porsche motor, and why Protomotive recommends using Valvoline VR1 instead of Mobile 1. You guys that drive your cars hard should really look hard at this stuff. Mobil 1 isn't the same oil it was back when Porsche initially tested it for use in their engines.

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...arts-p-60.html
Very good Shelf oil as well from what i have read.. I have used it in a jam on our race motors that normally run Brad penn or Motul and never had an issue.. I cant say much more since i havent used it long term.. The Brad Penn we use in our High Power 900-1000whp Evos leaves a protective coating on the cams which shows the High levels of Zinc and/or Phosphorus that are present.. Ive noticed the same from Amsoil Dominator as well..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who uses something other then 0w-40 Mobil 1 and why