996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who uses something other then 0w-40 Mobil 1 and why

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Oh God....it never ends. Someone put a bullet in its brain please. Raise the white flag....promise to surrender....take the Fifth....vows of celebacy or silence.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 PM
otb996 is infamous around these partsotb996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
The dominator line is actually good oil.. Plenty of zinc and phosphorus and worked well in our Evo race motors..
Well at least I don't feel completely crazy about recommending the dominator oils. I'm not even sure they make an oil in the correct weight for the 996 TT though, I'll have to look it up.

Edit: they do make a 15w-50. Here's the info on it if anyone is interested:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd50.aspx

Last edited by otb996; 12-01-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Oh God....it never ends. Someone put a bullet in its brain please. Raise the white flag....promise to surrender....take the Fifth....vows of celebacy or silence.
i know there are threads on it from the past i just thought id spruce up the forum for a while

Old 12-02-2009, 09:23 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Hey Steve Thanks for chiming in, the Brad Penn stuff seems to be the ticket for alot of applications.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:46 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
This a direct quote from Doug Hillary regarding Brad Penn
Brad Penn 10w-30 actually fails one Porsche "suitability" test that could lead to excessive wear and that is its viscosity @ 100C (10.8cSt). It only marginally passes Porsche's minimum HTHS viscosity and the margin would/could actually be a fail in the Porsche extended duration 100C and HTHS (150C) viscosity test protocols

No SAE30 lubricant of any Brand has been Approved by Porsche for nearly a decade (except for the Cayenne V6 (VW Specs apply)

Brad Penn's 20w-50 has an excessively high HTHS viscosity that will have an effect on turbocharger efficiency and the efficiency of the valve train operation

In the correct (non Porsche) application both of these lubricants are probably great performers

You will not go better than M1 0w-40, M1 5w-50, M1 TDT 5w-40 or any of the other 100 or so Porsche Approved and Lised lubricants in a 996 Turbo

Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
It has nothing to do with if the product is good. My point was that it is a royal pain to deal with AMSOIL in general, or any of these companies you have to mail order from. I so prefer going to the store and picking up the products off the shelf and not having to deal with the added shipping and added expense if a product of equal quality can be had at a cheaper price.

Amsoil might be "good". I just don't see it as a "good value".
Mike

Originally Posted by otb996
Well at least I don't feel completely crazy about recommending the dominator oils. I'm not even sure they make an oil in the correct weight for the 996 TT though, I'll have to look it up.

Edit: they do make a 15w-50. Here's the info on it if anyone is interested:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd50.aspx

Old 12-02-2009, 03:02 PM
otb996 is infamous around these partsotb996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikelly
It has nothing to do with if the product is good. My point was that it is a royal pain to deal with AMSOIL in general, or any of these companies you have to mail order from. I so prefer going to the store and picking up the products off the shelf and not having to deal with the added shipping and added expense if a product of equal quality can be had at a cheaper price.

Mike
Understood. I can obtain it from a dealer here locally and I usually pay the $20 or so a year to become a "dealer" of some sort and I get their products at just over what it costs the dealer, so I don't have to worry about shipping or the other hassles involved. Price point wise for me, it's a bit more expensive than some things I can obtain locally, but nowhere near the raping if I used Royal Purple or Redline from a few of our local shops.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly

Mike
I dont find it so hard to think ahead and buy the parts or oil you need for your car.. Many high quality products you wont find on the shelf at autoparts stores.. Buy enough for 2 oil changes and its not bad.. You dont pay tax either so while shipping costs, Tax doesnt..

Mike

Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 PM
U74sry is infamous around these parts
i use castrol syntech, is that bad??

Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
U7...you can do a search for Porsche approved oils or just the name OIL and get hundreds of discussion threads on the subject....Castrol is NOT on the approved list of Porsche oils. Mobil 1 0W-40 is the most commonly used oil....and most of us here are really tired of all the oil discussions which fill pages and go no where....like I said, do a search and you'll find enough info to fill an encyclopedia.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Well said Chuck. No more from me on oil threads unless we find out something "new and important" about oil...highly unlikely at this point.

Join renntech. Get the list. Pick an oil. Follow the manual if you drive normally. If you tune, speak to your tuner/engine builder. If you DE, talk to other DE people....it will not hurt a car to change the oil more frequently....just the wallet.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 AM
Broker404 is infamous around these partsBroker404 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
T2 has 240,000 miles on one of these cars with no issues, 0w-40. It is fine guys (at least when it had zinc...).
a 996TT? I'd be very interested to find out more on this car. I'd very much like to be able to put a ton of miles on a 911 Turbo without worrying too much about repair costs. I've got a pretty good idea of how reliable they are, but there are just so few examples over 100k miles to compare to.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 AM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
I use 15 w50

Old 12-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by U74sry
i use castrol syntech, is that bad??
I can't speak for the 996TT's but I am absolutely convinced that it saved a motor of mine in a Mazda 626ES about 10 years ago when the wife drove it without any oil in it at all - had all been blown out the oil pressure sending hole in a puddle while on a 95 degree day, she drove it across town (about 15-20 miles) to get the car to me. She "thought" that was the best thing to do. Motor survived just fine - can't believe it - it was just like their car ads running on TV at the time.

My Father runs pure dyno oil from Swepco (sp?) and takes advantage of their engine oil analysis services to look at what comes out at the changes. He is running a '64 356, with many mods. Very hapy with their oil.

I've run the M1 - but not with any rational thought behind it other than that's what the dealer had in it and it seems to have Porsche's endorsement.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 PM
rapidtransit is infamous around these parts
redline 5/40

has anyone tried redline?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who uses something other then 0w-40 Mobil 1 and why