996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone driven the Land Rover LR3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 05:00 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Anyone driven the Land Rover LR3?

I've heard great things about it. I'm thinking of trading my FX45 in on one. Any first hand experience?

-Steve

Old 12-05-2004, 07:24 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
No. I'll be test driving it next weekend. I saw one rolling on the streets. The rear looks a bit too tall and narrow. The sheet metal is a bit too flat. Doesn't quite have the aristocratic charm of the LR2, IMO. But I'm sure the new motor and suspension are going to be more civilized than the LR2.

Old 12-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone driven the Land Rover LR3?

Originally posted by SteveH
I've heard great things about it. I'm thinking of trading my FX45 in on one. Any first hand experience?

-Steve
It's a different animal than the FX, which is more of a street crossover. The LR3 is very trucklike, and has 7 passenger seating. We didn't get it in part because of the terrible reliability record the Disco had, which I expect will carryover to the LR3, so we went with Lexus instead, for the opposite experience.

Old 12-05-2004, 08:15 PM
I on the other hand took a chance on the reliability rumors and bought the LR2 5 yrs ago. It's more reliable than the BMW, Audi, and VW I had. I just replaced all the gaskets at 75k miles and I expect it to run for another 70k.

Yes it's truck like. But it's the nicest riding "truck" there is with a commanding view for both front and rear passengers. My kids love it. It's the best for sightseeing. The trunk can hold way more than the X5, Lexus, or any other midsize SUV for a family week-long road trip. It cruises nicely at 80-90, which is as fast as I'd go in a heavy missile with precious cargo anyway. The interior is as good as new.

Best of all, I actually still like the looks of it. A British classic.

Main drawbacks are extra long stopping distance, big turning circle, and short of breath on long steep hills. I hope the LR3 will have remedies for all that.

Old 12-05-2004, 08:35 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
i love the FX45, i just like trying new stuff. I must admit, as minor as it is, one of my big complaints with the FX is that it does not have bluetooth cellphone compatibility. The LR does.

I love the FX navigation and reverse camera. We have a Range Rover and the nav system is horrible. This is definitely a big sticking point for me. I am probably going to test drive the LR tomorrow and will definitely be giving the nav a thorough testing.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:38 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
steve,
i drove it. honest opinion, u won't like it. i like the package but not the handling & power. go try it & u'll see.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Sorry SUV = Toyota (lexus). Tough and reliable. Just don't understand wanting an SUV that is not totally reliable. BTW almost all Toyotas can be fitted with a factory approved and warranted supercharger.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Spike is infamous around these parts
I looked at it pretty closely a couple of weeks ago. A nice package..........except for it's handling and power. Seemed to "wallow" a bit when making direction changes and not much power on acceleration or freeway. I am sure it would struggle in the mountains. Decided it wasn't what I was looking for.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:08 AM
vtgts300kw is infamous around these parts
some british motoring magazine said it was the best offroad 4x4 availiable i believe.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I had one for a day and liked it. Not the best on the road but if you ever go off road you cant beat it.

I have a Range Rover and it is much nicer, but the LR3 is a good SUV for the money.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by collin996tt
I on the other hand took a chance on the reliability rumors and bought the LR2 5 yrs ago. It's more reliable than the BMW, Audi, and VW I had. I just replaced all the gaskets at 75k miles and I expect it to run for another 70k.
I bought the LR2 under the same guise as you. My father did as well. His '99 is just about to hit 100k with no real issues and my '99 just hit 55k with no issues at all.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Spike
I looked at it pretty closely a couple of weeks ago. A nice package..........except for it's handling and power. Seemed to "wallow" a bit when making direction changes and not much power on acceleration or freeway. I am sure it would struggle in the mountains. Decided it wasn't what I was looking for.
At 300hp and about the same torque, I find it hard to believe (even with the weight) that the LR3 will "wallow" off road. Even my 190hp/250tq LR2 (Discovery II) never wallows off road.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Steve, I know you're trying to get feedback about the LR3, but I am trying to get feedback about the FX45. What else besides the lack of bluetooth do you dislike? Is the power addictive at all? Handling?

Old 12-06-2004, 10:37 AM
I Looovvee Turrboos
TTRon is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by trojanman
Steve, I know you're trying to get feedback about the LR3, but I am trying to get feedback about the FX45. What else besides the lack of bluetooth do you dislike? Is the power addictive at all? Handling?
Here my thought process. For an SUV that handles and has power go with the Cayenne. For an SUV that still has the luxury and has all the off-road capabilities go with the Range Rover. For a really good mix of both theres the new rumored Range Rover Sport thats coming out.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Cayenne like the X5, FX, Lexus are Sport-UV's, more car like than truck like. If you can't afford a sports car and a roomy car/van/truck then you'd get one of these.

Range is a Luxury-UV. It's the 760IL only taller.

DISCO is a Rugged-Offroad-UV with decent On-road comfort. It's like a GT3/RS, which if you don't take it to it's element (the track) then you're missing out. You gotta take the DISCO to the offroad DE's once or twice a year to appreciate it.

That's how we should categorize them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone driven the Land Rover LR3?