996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: What should I trade my 2004 Turbo Cab for??
$5000 and a 2005 Turbo Cab
11.54%
$9000 and a 2005 Turbo "S" Coupe
69.23%
$19000 and a 2005 Turbo "S" Cab
19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Which Turbo should I trade my current 04 Turbo Cab in for?? Details inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2004 | 01:27 PM
dlm477 is infamous around these parts
Not trying to start a war, but convertibles are for old people or women. Just take a look at the next person you see in a convertible. There are exceptions to the rule like the exotics but I have actually seen many women driving 360 spiders in my area at least.

Lou, the deal 1 is tempting because you could make money and get a brand new car but then u must worry about breaking car in and all the other stuff. Either buy colorchanges coupe or another used coupe or get the turbo s coupe and do what shank says and keep the car for at least 2 years. This is obviously not the best financial way but u will have the most fun and thats was cars are for, pleasure not investments. Dan

Old 12-06-2004 | 02:40 PM
LSM
|
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by dlm477
Not trying to start a war, but convertibles are for old people or women. Just take a look at the next person you see in a convertible. There are exceptions to the rule like the exotics but I have actually seen many women driving 360 spiders in my area at least.

Lou, the deal 1 is tempting because you could make money and get a brand new car but then u must worry about breaking car in and all the other stuff. Either buy colorchanges coupe or another used coupe or get the turbo s coupe and do what shank says and keep the car for at least 2 years. This is obviously not the best financial way but u will have the most fun and thats was cars are for, pleasure not investments. Dan
I never really liked the lines of the Turbo Cab as much as the coupe either. I just recently started enjoying convertibles and also without trying to start a war, I agree with you, most convertible owners are typically older, automatic(slush box) drivers. The rate of tiptronic in the turbo cab vs coupe is almost 3 to 1 from what I hear. Anyway, I'd buy Tim's car in a second, but, I prefer silver or black and the problem with buying used is the dealer either tries to nail you on the purchase or trade. I had a ******* dealer tell me two days ago, that he would give me way under market for my car and sell his used 2003 Turbo coupe for close to $10k over wholesale. I swear, I trust two dealers, Perillo, (he is one of my best friends,) and I buy my Porsche's only from Rizza Porsche. (the aggrevation is just too much to deal with people I don't have a relationship with.)

I guess, I am leaning toward getting the Turbo "S" coupe then. I have a Z8 for nice days anyway. Everyday I go back and forth and think there is something off with the look of my turbo cab. Thought maybe it was the color(i usually only have black cars), but, am realizng its Cab I don't like, the lines aren't as good as the coupe.

Keep the opinions coming!!

Lou

Old 12-06-2004 | 06:17 PM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
I guess no one clearly understood that the top down part is not the problem but the ragtop is what makes the car look feminine ... so if use your car with rag top on then it's feminine ... down not a factor drive around all you want, I personally like convertibles ... once again my opinion .... someone translate poppycock for me ?

Dario

Old 12-06-2004 | 06:37 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
In my most red-neck opinion: CABS are for CHICKS.

No real performance enthusiast would have anything to do with a rag top.

Old 12-06-2004 | 09:07 PM
LSM
|
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by DarioTexas
I guess no one clearly understood that the top down part is not the problem but the ragtop is what makes the car look feminine ... so if use your car with rag top on then it's feminine ... down not a factor drive around all you want, I personally like convertibles ... once again my opinion .... someone translate poppycock for me ?

Dario
I agree, people should lighten up, I knew what you meant and to be honest tend to agree with you. They certainly don't have the lines a coupe does.

Old 12-06-2004 | 09:18 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Originally posted by LSM
I agree, people should lighten up, I knew what you meant and to be honest tend to agree with you. They certainly don't have the lines a coupe does.
I agree as well. I've never had a convertable because often the lines are compromised. In the case of the SL, the Carrera GT and the Modena, they are cool.

Old 12-06-2004 | 09:27 PM
LSM
|
Originally posted by GFORCED
I agree as well. I've never had a convertable because often the lines are compromised. In the case of the SL, the Carrera GT and the Modena, they are cool.
Agreed, I'll add one more to the list, and of coarse I'm biased, but, to me the Z8 is one of the most beautiful convertibles around. Although, I think it looks like **** with the top up and it was never meant to be a coupe first with a chopped top. It was a convertible from its inception.

lou

Old 12-07-2004 | 08:38 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Yes, rag tops "usually" screw up the lines (and the performance) of coupes, but to say rag tops are for "chicks" is lame. I know I thoroughly enjoy smacking down the he men in their TT coupes on our mountain drives in my cab. When this cab goes (for sale), it will be the first time in nearly 15 years without one (the CGT is only kinda a cab). Anyone who lives in a climate where the top can be taken down darn near 365 days a year is really missing out on a sensory rich experience if their egos keep them out of a cab.

Old 12-07-2004 | 10:33 AM
LSM
|
Thanks for the opinions guys, keep em coming, I need to make a descion today. I am leaning toward the Turbo "S" coupe because you guys brought up some valid points, and I already have a conevrtible. But, interested in hearing more feedback. WIll the "S" hold its value a little better than recent standard Turbos?

Lou

Old 12-07-2004 | 10:59 AM
dwishen is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by LSM
Thanks for the opinions guys, keep em coming, I need to make a descion today. I am leaning toward the Turbo "S" coupe because you guys brought up some valid points, and I already have a conevrtible. But, interested in hearing more feedback. WIll the "S" hold its value a little better than recent standard Turbos?

Lou
It would make sense that the "S" coupe should hold its value better than the recent standard Turbo's. Several factors leaning in your favor:

- 150 produced
- They come nicely equipped (X-50, ceramics)
- 30th Anniversary of Turbo
- You're getting a deal

I think you would be able to make out alright in a coupe of years when you decide to sell. I'd buy the coupe in a good resale color (GT Silver?)

Good Luck.

David

Old 12-07-2004 | 03:30 PM
LSM
|
Thanks again guys for the responses, its really helped me put my choices in perspective. As I said, I am leaning much more strongly now toward the Turbo "S" coupe. Initially, I was almost sold on getting the standard turbo cab, but, after reading the responses and reviewing my needs/wants, I realized I really do prefer the coupe. My only other choice would be to buy used, but, can't seem to find any silver coupes, 2003 or 2004 with low miles and previously unmodded. Prefer X50, so if you guys know of any let me know. And Keep the responses coming!! Thanks again.

Lou

Old 12-07-2004 | 05:48 PM
tsweat is infamous around these parts
Lou-

When you factor in sales tax & luxury tax on the new vehicle (that you will have to pay upfront), how much will you really be ahead? If $10k is the 'advantage' but you have to pay $5k to get there and then on top of that pay the sales & luxury taxes, is it still worth it?

Just wondering if you already factored this in your numbers Lou? It may be a moot point since the trade-in will be such high dollar...

-TS

Old 12-07-2004 | 05:59 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by tsweat
Lou-

When you factor in sales tax & luxury tax on the new vehicle (that you will have to pay upfront), how much will you really be ahead? If $10k is the 'advantage' but you have to pay $5k to get there and then on top of that pay the sales & luxury taxes, is it still worth it?

Just wondering if you already factored this in your numbers Lou? It may be a moot point since the trade-in will be such high dollar...

-TS
there is no luxury tax on vehicles any longer.

Old 12-07-2004 | 06:46 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I'm not old, and I'm not a woman, and I love my cab. Top up or top down. BUT...that's not a TT Cab. I tend to agree with the majority...the TT Cab didn't do much for me when I saw it first time - the scoops against the body with a contrasting top was just too much.

But I love cabs too, and would always take a cab over a coupe. Top down driving is just like a drug....once you get a taste....

Anyway, you've got to do what's right by you. Realize that a new body style TT will be out soon, so you'll take some hit on the devalue on the car, but a rare TT Cab is worth whatever you paid for it (assuming under MSRP).

Just do it and enjoy. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2004 | 07:28 PM
LSM
|
Originally posted by tsweat
Lou-

-TS
There is no luxury tax anymore and in Illinois you only pay tax on the difference between your trade and the new vehicle selling price. In my case if I opt for the Turbo "S" coupe, I would only pay tax on $9000. Which would be $607.50. I am getting about $8k more in trade than my car is worth and getting the Turbo "S" for $6500 off list. Or any of the cars I mention at $6500 off list. I built a Turbo "S" coupe and with my standard "really light" options, the MSRP is like $134k. I would pay $127.5k and I'm getting $119.5k for my trade, with tax its almost $9k difference. Besides, I paid only $123k for my 2004 turbo cab and drove it for 3500 miles

Lou

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: POLL: Which Turbo should I trade my current 04 Turbo Cab in for?? Details inside