996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My driver side door doesn't feel right...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:58 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough

OK, this is one problem that is quite difficult to explain. Normally, when you open/close the driver side door, you get the nice comfy solid sound that gives you a safe feeling of sitting in a German ride.

However, I recently notice that, without know what actually triggered it, the driver side door sometimes feel "hollow". When you close it, you feel like there is nothing inside the door...Anyone have or had this issue?

Apologize for my poor job of describing the problem...hope you folks get the point.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:02 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Funny mine sounds hollow to.

Oh wait it is hollow(GT2)

Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Ok...don't think my car came with the GT2 door option.

Research continues...

Old 12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
are you talking about the door lock actuator as it closes its not firm and crisp anymore?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 PM
No, door closes fine. However, you can pretty much hear that the "door close" sound hollow, versus the normal solid sound. And it only happens occasionally...that really made me scratch my head.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
are gt2 doors different than the standard tt doors?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:27 PM
apparently yes...yes or no, doesn't solve my mystery.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
I bet it has to do with the latch. Maybe something has shifted that affects the way the door contats the body, thus altering the sound. I'd focus there, since its much less likely that the inner composition of the door has changed, or that something inside has shifted in such a way to alter the sound (you'd probably see other symptoms like problems with windows, etc..., if that were the case).

Old 12-02-2009, 05:37 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts

have it take two aspirins and call me in the morning....maybe your window is not droping down and raising properly when you open and close the door...this makes it sound different. I can't remember the fix...but I think you can search it if thats the problem.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 AM
blackonblacktt is infamous around these partsblackonblacktt is infamous around these parts
Window actuator roll down?

Inspect it while opening to be sure that the offending door's window is rolling down a 1/2" when you open the door handle. I have noticed that when my battery is disconncted and window is rolled up that closing the door feels strange. If it is not dropping the expected half inch or so you could change the miscroswitches in the handle.