996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Custom Turbo Kits?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:12 PM
TSTARKZ123 is infamous around these parts
Custom Turbo Kits?

Hello All,

I'm a new member here. I'm looking to purchase my first P-car coming from owning two Audis. My TT has been extensively modified by the guys at forcefedengineering and I'll be taking my 996 there as well. Anyone in the NY area should check them out. I started talking to the owner, Ed, about the planned turbo upgrade on my 996 and he was able to sit me down and go through a sweet package including custom manifold fabricated by himself and installation. Price was more than reasonable when I compared to the other kits I've been researching online.

My plan entails:

Pauter rod installation, Precision 57mm turbos and alcohol injection. My TT was able to achieve 510whp at the current moment and I'm hoping to have my P-car well above that.

I look forward to discussing the build and options as the car progresses.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-01-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: promotion of non sponsor
Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Whoops sorry about the linking!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
i wouldn't do pauter rods carrillos atleast they are stronger h beam type

Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
I've seen a few Carillo builds but I was hoping to speak to Pauter about a set of I-beam rods.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Are you going to be using the new line of Precision Billet Turbos or are you going to use a cast wheel 57mm?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Well I've been running the billet 62 on my Audi TT and while its been great, I think I want to try out the new ceramic center on the P-car.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
You may want to give EPL a call in Connecticut. Personally, I like to go with a kit that someone else has beta tested. Any hardware modifications will need appropriate software tuning. EPL has done turbos + meth kits + tunes for a bunch of guys on this board, so I'd rather go there than to someone who I know is a great mechanic, but may not have a ton of experience working on the 996TT. If you do stick with your guy, I'd get in contact with one of the tuners on this board that can do "remote ECU tuning." They'll send you a cable to hook up to a laptop, and work with you to build an optimal tune.

Again, if it were me, I'd add up the cost savings of doing it "right" with my own mechanic and a remote tune, relative to a one-stop-shop that has done dozens of these. Unless the savings are pretty substantial, I wouldn't risk getting put in the situation of different shops pointing fingers at each other over what a problem's cause is. I like being able to drop the car off and saying "it's broken, you installed it, let me know when it's fixed." With an engine that costs as much as these do, that's worth a lot to me. In full disclosure, my TT is bone stock right now. I know a very good mechanic that does all of my work at cost, but I plan on taking the drive up to EPL when I'm ready, and I get a chance. If I were located in the Southwest, there are other fantastic tuners out there, so I have nothing bad to say about them and have heard only good things. EPL happens to have a great rep, and is local.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Sorry I meant to also say that I'm sticking with the billet wheel.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
You may want to give EPL a call in Connecticut. Personally, I like to go with a kit that someone else has beta tested. Any hardware modifications will need appropriate software tuning. EPL has done turbos + meth kits + tunes for a bunch of guys on this board, so I'd rather go there than to someone who I know is a great mechanic, but may not have a ton of experience working on the 996TT. If you do stick with your guy, I'd get in contact with one of the tuners on this board that can do "remote ECU tuning." They'll send you a cable to hook up to a laptop, and work with you to build an optimal tune.

Again, if it were me, I'd add up the cost savings of doing it "right" with my own mechanic and a remote tune, relative to a one-stop-shop that has done dozens of these. Unless the savings are pretty substantial, I wouldn't risk getting put in the situation of different shops pointing fingers at each other over what a problem's cause is. I like being able to drop the car off and saying "it's broken, you installed it, let me know when it's fixed." With an engine that costs as much as these do, that's worth a lot to me. In full disclosure, my TT is bone stock right now. I know a very good mechanic that does all of my work at cost, but I plan on taking the drive up to EPL when I'm ready, and I get a chance. If I were located in the Southwest, there are other fantastic tuners out there, so I have nothing bad to say about them and have heard only good things. EPL happens to have a great rep, and is local.
EPL is a good company as I've known of them for a few years from the Audi S4 days. I, however, have never dealt with them as far as custom fabrication which is why I prefer to utilize ForceFed. When I first started my journey on putting a larger turbocharger on my Audi TT there were many who said it couldn't be down and the downpipe wouln't fit around the haldex setup but Ed was more than able to fabricate an amazing looking kit which has performed beyond my expectations.

As far as tuning, I had planned on moving directly to standalone. The current software for my TT allows complete end-user adjustability (Eurodyne) and if they are willing to do the same on my P-car, then I woudl be willing to give the motronic ecu a shot.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TSTARKZ123
EPL is a good company as I've known of them for a few years from the Audi S4 days. I, however, have never dealt with them as far as custom fabrication which is why I prefer to utilize ForceFed. When I first started my journey on putting a larger turbocharger on my Audi TT there were many who said it couldn't be down and the downpipe wouln't fit around the haldex setup but Ed was more than able to fabricate an amazing looking kit which has performed beyond my expectations.

As far as tuning, I had planned on moving directly to standalone. The current software for my TT allows complete end-user adjustability (Eurodyne) and if they are willing to do the same on my P-car, then I woudl be willing to give the motronic ecu a shot.
No offense, good luck with the Eurdyne software as it's not as good as what most tuners have. Most have taken open source software, then ripped the DME code and then sifted through everything and figured out ALL the tables that needed to be modified. Then they wrote the software to flash the DME's. Then good luck with the Motronic as the people who have used it have not had good luck. I think Switzer and Tuning Concepts are the only people have got a successful standalone system available. Justin @ Tuning Concepts will be at my house tomorrow installing my Standalone and then tuning it. He's hands down one of the best tuners in the world so I know I'm in good hands. Before the standalone I was running EPL Software which was BAD ***!!! When I build the motor I was going to need more on the fly tuning which the standalone will allow me to do.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
That would be cool if you helped ForceFed get into the game with 996TTs...I'd like to see what they could do as I've been impressed with some of their earlier work. See if you can talk them into becoming a forum sponsor over here too. Good luck with your project!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
That would be cool if you helped ForceFed get into the game with 996TTs...I'd like to see what they could do as I've been impressed with some of their earlier work. See if you can talk them into becoming a forum sponsor over here too. Good luck with your project!
Are you referring to the Force Fed that works on Lotus's or are you thinking of the one that works VWs?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Ah crap, good point Powell. I may have been thinking of 'ForcedFed' since I was indeed thinking about the company that did turbocharged Lotus Elises. Thanks for bringing that up as I missed it completely due to the similarity of the names.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
I think you're making a mistake by opening up the motor. Unless you have one of the best machine shops/builders for 996's already lined up, I'd stick with the success so many others have had making 750+ the tires on a stock motor. Unless you're tuning is way off, or you do something really stupid, you're not going to window the block if anything bad happens....so save the time and money and build it later if you ever need too.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:13 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
I think you're making a mistake by opening up the motor. Unless you have one of the best machine shops/builders for 996's already lined up, I'd stick with the success so many others have had making 750+ the tires on a stock motor. Unless you're tuning is way off, or you do something really stupid, you're not going to window the block if anything bad happens....so save the time and money and build it later if you ever need too.
I think this is great advice!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom Turbo Kits?