996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Setting up the EVOMS wastegate kit.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:08 AM
jalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura about
Setting up the EVOMS wastegate kit.

i'll be doing this by measuring the pressure through a vaccum device that i got from FVD, i did a search in the forums and i read that most of the guys are setting them up to open at around 12.5PSI my question is:

1) is 12.5PSI on each wastegate. or is it the combination of the two, i.e. 6.25+6.25= 12.5PSI

i mean should i set each wastegate at 12.5PSI or 6.5PSI on each side?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 AM
jalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura about
Any ideas?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jalmood
i'll be doing this by measuring the pressure through a vaccum device that i got from FVD, i did a search in the forums and i read that most of the guys are setting them up to open at around 12.5PSI my question is:

1) is 12.5PSI on each wastegate. or is it the combination of the two, i.e. 6.25+6.25= 12.5PSI

Set to 13.5 on each side.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks Tony.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
What exactly does such a kit do? Any benefit for a guy like me with k16's, epl flash, exhaust, and gt2 i.c.'s? Thanks.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Scottslaw
What exactly does such a kit do? Any benefit for a guy like me with k16's, epl flash, exhaust, and gt2 i.c.'s? Thanks.
It will be more beneficial to you if you had K24s, you will be able to dial in more boost and keep it that way in higher gears and higher RPM's.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
anyone of you guys have a diagram of how to install these wastegates, i thought that they come allready assembeled, is it easier to install with the turbos in place, or remove the turbos and do the wastegate installation?

there is two metal bracket like items that came with them, what are those for? anyone from EVOMS around?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:25 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jalmood

I set Mine to 13 each and get 1.3 bar sustained on a Softronic Flash.

So what Tony is saying is spot on.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 PM
vip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nice
Just did mine on a K24 with softronics flash.

Set up a dial movement indicator so that each gate actuator moves .005 in. with the desired pressure. I set mine to 11.5 psi and get 1.2 bars.

Without a move indicator it is very difficult to identify the exact openning pressure.

This made a huge difference in spool and midrange torque.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vip gts
Just did mine on a K24 with softronics flash.

Set up a dial movement indicator so that each gate actuator moves .005 in. with the desired pressure. I set mine to 11.5 psi and get 1.2 bars.

Without a move indicator it is very difficult to identify the exact openning pressure.

This made a huge difference in spool and midrange torque.
great tip!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I posted on this either here or on rennlist... You do not need a 'dial indicator', that's for sure! You can use your finger to simply feel when they first 'break free' and begin to move. Very easy to set up a test set up wiht hardware store parts....search

A

Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I guess Tony is the expert and knows what he's talking about, but ARD and I set ours using his pressure gauge....and we set them at 8.5 psi using our finger on the actuator to feel when it first started moving...... with the installation of the UMW wastegate spring kit we get 1.2 Bar output. I was surprised to see these higher setting for the wastegate pressures....but I'm not very well versed in this arena, but if we're getting 1.2 bar using 8.5 psi.....what's the need for the higher PSI settings?

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 12-02-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 AM
vip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nice
The evo 1 bar actuators start to open at 10 psi with out any tension applied. I tested them before install and 10 was the lowest. My stock actuators start to open at about 5 psi without any tension.
It appears the pressure required to open is lower for the UMW (8.5psi for 1.2 bar)than the EVO(11.5 for 1.2 bar).

I found it hard to detect a .005 in. movement by feel without a dial indicator, insensative I guess.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 AM
I'll be doing mine on sunday, i'll go by Tony's suggestion, i'll set them up at 13.5psi each.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
VIP: Thanks for the clarification. I didn't pick up on and overlooked the fact he's installing the EVO wastegates and taking out his stock setup. We're using the OEM wastegateswith the UMW spring kit. I dont' know if there's any difference between the X50 wastegates on the K24 turbos...and the ones on the K16s. I couldn't imagine cranking ours up to 13.5 psi....especially since we get great results at 8.5

chuck