996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Finally drove GT2 - first impressions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Glad you like it Eric! I've had it up to 190 a number of times on the DR's at 22 psi. I always felt the car was "darty" regardles of the tire but that was mostly due to me asking for zero camber in the rear to help it hook. I believe Tym had some negative camber put back in since. Alignment was always fine.

Relative to the Z06, I never thought it was as comfortable or relaxed at 80 mph+ cruising. The steering is much more sensative to input and generally more precise. I enjoyed cruising in my Z more, but driving the GT2....if that makes sense.

As for the exhaust, it's a 'one off' that he made per my asking. It's a straight through X design with small mufflers, no cats. Tym also believes it's the best sounding exhaust he made (by accident) and is considering producing a few in the future. I actually thought it was pretty quiet....and it's as free flowing as they come.

Fyi, I ran Cavin pump vs N/A in my Z (before I put in the 3.90's) a couple summers ago multiple times and we ran dead nuts even from 40-140.
Jamie -

Thanks for all the help along the way in acquiring this car for Kid GT2.

You and Todd K really put this car together the right way. It runs flawlessly.

I'll play with the DR's. I have been running 28" tall M&H on the Z06 all the way up to 190 and it is a bit squirmy compared to running 195 on PS2's.

Tym really should make some more exhaust like whats on this car - it really sounds good and I have to believe it flows very well. It sounds wonderful.

I'm thinking the GT2 on pump will be pretty darn even with my Z06.

Eric

Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Just as I remembered her...BEAUTIFUL. Now post more pics Eric!
Peter

Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Congrats Eric. I had a chance to take a peek at the car while it was at Switzer's. Absolutely gorgeous inside and out. i will have to agree with Marty on the Pilot Sport Cups. With the proper setup on the stock suspension, it is a great overall performer for daily street use and weekend track use.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Wow...what a sweet GT2. Congratulations, and enjoy in good health!
Thanks

Originally Posted by robmd99
Eric
Congrats, you must have been a very good lad because Santa has brought you a very nice gift!
Merry Christmas
Robert
Rob -

Thanks - I was good enough that the wife agreed to the purchase.

See you in March.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by houstonT
Just as I remembered her...BEAUTIFUL. Now post more pics Eric!
Peter
Thanks - it really is gorgeous and amazingly clean. Weather permitting I'll get some. Car shoved in house garage while we epoxy the shop.

Originally Posted by dk996tt
Congrats Eric. I had a chance to take a peek at the car while it was at Switzer's. Absolutely gorgeous inside and out. i will have to agree with Marty on the Pilot Sport Cups. With the proper setup on the stock suspension, it is a great overall performer for daily street use and weekend track use.
David - Thanks. I am looking for another set of wheels to put either some Pilot Sport Cups on or maybe some Toyo R888's. I'm not going to track the car much but it will see some track use.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Here's one

Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Eric,

Congrats buddy. Very happy that you got such an incredible car. Enjoy it safely and don't forget to put a diaper on when you crank it to 1.5. Infact i'm going to request in car audio for the first time you run some smelly gas and higher boost!!

Stay safe.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Eric,
How much psi are you running in the BFGs? I notice that anything over 23 lbs can cause bad wobble and movement at high speeds in these cars. I usually run mine at 21-22 psi HOT, and it really helps the car stay planted and settled at speed.
Once the BFGs are done, get some Nitto 555R DRs and it will be tons better.

Congrats again on your purchase and our FIRST of many greats rides!

As for the tires Scott is correct i think it it is the tires as well. I leave mine at 20-22psi hot and i get the little butt shake off pedal but nothing to crazy.
I run the Toyo R888 on the street and they work flawless, i also ran them at the track and hooked a crazy 1.6 on them.

I have the MT DR's on the TT rims for the track now and to be honest they feel the exact same. no difference. I do think the MT heat up faster and might work a touch better.

Never the less throw some VP import in her and crank the wick up!

Enjoy it before the snow hits. UGhhhhhhh!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PALETTE

Never the less throw some VP import in her and crank the wick up!
This motor definitely doesn't need Import....

Old 12-03-2009, 08:43 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Atomic p

It is snowing today .

Jamie,

BTW; what set-up/HP was your Z06 when it ran dead even with your GT2
on pump ?

MK

Old 12-03-2009, 08:57 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
She is a beauty...enjoy...

Old 12-03-2009, 09:19 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Congrats and great write up. That is insane power on pump gas and I'm sure it's tuned well. Enjoy it in good health my friend. Art

Old 12-03-2009, 09:21 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
It is snowing today .

Jamie,

BTW; what set-up/HP was your Z06 when it ran dead even with your GT2
on pump ?

MK
The standard H/I/C package. I was also making 550whp on OEM rear end. If I ran the car today with my 3.90's, I'd probably pull a couple cars. Eric's stroker motor should pull on it too from a 40 roll. But a higher roll on start would probably give the GT2 an advantage....

Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Congartulations Eric!! Sweet GT2

Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
The standard H/I/C package. I was also making 550whp on OEM rear end. If I ran the car today with my 3.90's, I'd probably pull a couple cars. Eric's stroker motor should pull on it too from a 40 roll. But a higher roll on start would probably give the GT2 an advantage....
Jamie

What's the updates on ur ZO6?? I remember u said u will go with LSX454 and big shot of nos...any races yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally drove GT2 - first impressions.