996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Finally drove GT2 - first impressions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
Jamie

What's the updates on ur ZO6?? I remember u said u will go with LSX454 and big shot of nos...any races yet?
We blew a HG at over 1k hp the night before the mile, so I lost patience, parted it out and am looking to start another car for 2010....

Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 AM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
congrats!!! Enjoy and learn the car more on pump before you crank her up. The handling on these rear engine machine can get you into trouble (different than front engine) if you're not paying attention (not from personal experience, lol).

Old 12-03-2009, 10:41 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmoores
Eric,

Congrats buddy. Very happy that you got such an incredible car. Enjoy it safely and don't forget to put a diaper on when you crank it to 1.5. Infact i'm going to request in car audio for the first time you run some smelly gas and higher boost!!

Stay safe.
Ben - Thanks - appreciate the kind words.

I'll see what I can do to get a camera mounted or a passenger in the car to film my first 1.5 run.

Originally Posted by PALETTE
Congrats again on your purchase and our FIRST of many greats rides!

As for the tires Scott is correct i think it it is the tires as well. I leave mine at 20-22psi hot and i get the little butt shake off pedal but nothing to crazy.
I run the Toyo R888 on the street and they work flawless, i also ran them at the track and hooked a crazy 1.6 on them.

I have the MT DR's on the TT rims for the track now and to be honest they feel the exact same. no difference. I do think the MT heat up faster and might work a touch better.

Never the less throw some VP import in her and crank the wick up!

Enjoy it before the snow hits. UGhhhhhhh!
Thanks - not sure how many more rides will happen this year.

There is a dusting of snow on the ground now. I am supposed to be heading up to DRM to pick up the Z now that the tranny is rebuilt and ready to go.

I know there is a trade-off with the drag radials. At some point I'll be trying some sport cups or R888's

Originally Posted by OhioGT2
This motor definitely doesn't need Import....
agreed - import is over kill

I'll mix up some C16 with MS109 and have some fun - that should keep it safe.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:47 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
She is a beauty...enjoy...
Thanks

Originally Posted by art4iza
Congrats and great write up. That is insane power on pump gas and I'm sure it's tuned well. Enjoy it in good health my friend. Art
Art - Thanks - I can't wait to get in a run at higher boost.

The standard H/I/C package. I was also making 550whp on OEM rear end. If I ran the car today with my 3.90's, I'd probably pull a couple cars. Eric's stroker motor should pull on it too from a 40 roll. But a higher roll on start would probably give the GT2 an advantage....
Jamie - I'll get a 60-130 done on pump to compare. With GT2 on pump I'm guessing that from a roll the Z will be a little quicker. There will be a couple of speeds that the GT2 is sitting close to 4000rpm that it will be able to get a little jump on the Z and vice versa of course.

Congartulations Eric!! Sweet GT2
Thanks

Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by drjoe
congrats!!! Enjoy and learn the car more on pump before you crank her up. The handling on these rear engine machine can get you into trouble (different than front engine) if you're not paying attention (not from personal experience, lol).
Thanks

It's all about respect. I learned my lesson the hard way a couple of years ago.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Ok Eric....I just noticed the Prowler in your sig....there has to be a story around that purchase because I know you otherwise have very good taste in cars!

Last edited by OhioGT2; 12-03-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
We blew a HG at over 1k hp the night before the mile, so I lost patience, parted it out and am looking to start another car for 2010....
What HG???

Vette will never be top end Supra LOL!!

My friend is break-in his 434ci C6ZO6 w/200-250 shots ( like ur old setup but different tuner) and we r waiting for GT3076R's kit for the 997 GT2

It will be very nice race!!!

BTW...Have ever ran 60-130 on ur old etup??

Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 AM
What HG???

Vette will never be top end Supra LOL!!

My friend is break-in his 434ci C6ZO6 w/200-250 shots ( like ur old setup but different tuner) and we r waiting for GT3076R's kit for the 997 GT2

It will be very nice race!!!

BTW...Have ever ran 60-130 on ur old etup??
We tried a Cometic this time.

I don't know....the dyno was the nastiest anyone had ever seen with over 1100 lb-ft. We cranked it down hard and still literally watched it jumped to the right a few inches and rip through 4th gear. Patrick was dead slient after that run! Assuming we hooked from a 40 roll...I don't think my old Supra would have caught it until past 140. But we'll never know.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Ok Eric....I just noticed the Prowler in your sig....there has to be a story around that purchase because I know you otherwise have very good taste in cars!
Wifey's car. It is actually a fun little car to drive around. Very slow compared to a Porsche or a Vette though.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Wow! Beautiful GT2! Congrats!!!

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Here's one

Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
One of my fondest memories of the mile was Marty crusing the paddock in the Prowler blaring "tonights gonna be a good night"

Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 PM
SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !
Eric, Big congrats man on the 2.. It is an elite club to be in and man your machine is a monster.. Respect and emjoy it for all she's worth!! Kenny

Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by bmoores
One of my fondest memories of the mile was Marty crusing the paddock in the Prowler blaring "tonights gonna be a good night"
Along with a good set of Blu Blockers....he'd have every girl in the area.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:29 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I will be the first to tell you, rear end wallow when letting off throttle or under braking is touted as "normal" for these cars or rear engined Porsches in general, this is NOT TRUE. Drag radials can magnify that feeling, but I would still check into it.

Trust me, after trying to sort my suspension for 2+ years, I realized what a proper setup should feel and perform like. I had the same type of feeling your car had, wound up being wrong toe settings and worn out toe links.. The rubber bushings get worn out and flex, change them out to solid/adjustable toe links and get a sick alignment/corner weight and balancing setup done.

CONGRATS again, and enjoy the hell out of it, but please look into this as it will make the car so much more enjoyable/usable and confidence inspiring while utilizing the car's true potential! Let me know if you need help formulating a setup for your car, I had some of the best guy's in the industry help me out..

Martin

Last edited by iLLM3; 12-03-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
I thought your Vette was sweet bro... this takes it to another level. Congrats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally drove GT2 - first impressions.