996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Finally drove GT2 - first impressions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Finally drove GT2 - first impressions.

Finally had a couple of decent days to take the GT2 out and actually put a couple miles on.

I have to say that I am extremely happy with just how good of shape the car is in. It is a 2002 with just over 6600 miles. Very clean and well maintained car. It is spotless inside and out and the carbon fiber accents look great. The interior of the car and the leather is top-notch, as it should be for a car that sold new for $185k. I have to admit that I have never been a huge fan of black rims but they work well with the black skirts/splitter and the carbon fiber wing and mirrors.

The Switzer exhaust is louder than I thought it was going to be – I’ve been in Woodsters 996TT with Switzer exhaust and this is louder. It is louder in a good way though. I really like the way the car sounds.

Marty (woodster) helped me take it out of the trailer and went along for the maiden voyage. I have to say this is the fastest car I have owned. It dyno’d 550 rwhp on pump gas at 1.1 bar. My Z06 is roughly 580 rwhp but it is very hard to compare the two because the power comes on so differently. My driftbox is in the Z – I will pick it up from DRM tomorrow – and if we have some good weather I will do a 60-130 on pump gas.

Currently there is a set of BFG drag radials on the back and they hook very well on pump gas levels. The only problem is the car wants to move during hard acceleration. The rear-end moves a little more than I thought it would under braking or when you let off the gas after getting on it. Not sure if this is due to the tires or just the nature of a GT2 – the Z06 does not seem to have this issue. (I know – two completely different cars)

The ATS triple clutch is a little tricky at first but I am sure I will get used to it. I was a little surprised by how much harder it hit than the twin carbon/carbon in the Z. I doubt I will ever have more HP/TQ than this clutch can handle.

Overall I have to say it is the nicest car I have owned. It is very easy to drive on the street on the pump gas setting. It is not as civilized as a stock Z06 but it is much easier than my highly modded Z.

Hopefully I will get a chance before the snow sets in for good to get out and run it on the high boost setting with some race gas.

Kudos to Todd Knighton for building this phenomenal car.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
It's gorgious man! Love the color combo, and the stance!!!

As to the handling issues under braking, You might want to get the car checked for alignment and corner-balance.

Mike

Old 12-02-2009, 06:10 PM
slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !
such an awesome car...glad you like it...im sure your fondness with it will only grow with time..

Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Mike - Thanks

Car has been aligned and corner balanced. I'm not saying it is unsettling or dangerous but more than I expected. It may have a little to do with the drag radials.

I can always have it checked out.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Eric,

Great write-up, bro. I'm glad everything is finally settled and you're now able to enjoy the car.

The way the rear-end moves around is the nature of the RWD, rear-weight biased GT2. It will be more noticeable if/when you shift, let-off throttle, or come into boost while cornering. Stay in gear and keep the throttle steady in corners and you shouldn't notice it while cornering.

In the straights, the movement is much more pronounced on the DRs than on street tires, but it's always there at least a little bit. You just have to get used to it.

The ATS TC can be tricky, but I love it overall. It holds, and holds and holds. I had it on my 890 rwhp TT and it held the power beautifully.

How much psi are you running in the BFGs? I notice that anything over 23 lbs can cause bad wobble and movement at high speeds in these cars. I usually run mine at 21-22 psi HOT, and it really helps the car stay planted and settled at speed.

Once the BFGs are done, get some Nitto 555R DRs and it will be tons better.

Anyway, congratulations. I'm really excited for you, my friend!

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 12-02-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by slavik
such an awesome car...glad you like it...im sure your fondness with it will only grow with time..
Thanks - I'm sure this car is a "keeper"

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Eric,

Great write-up., bro. I'm glad everything is finally settled and able to enjoy the car.

The way the reariend moves around is the nature of the RWD, Rear-weight biased GT2. It will be more noticeable if/when you shift, let-off throttle, or come into boost while cornering. Stay in gear and keep the throttle steady in corners and you shouldn't notice it while cornering.

In the straights, the movement is much more pronounced on the DRs than on street tires, but it's always there at least a little bit. You just have to get used to it.

The ATS TC can be tricky, but I love it overall. It holds, and holds and holds. I had it on my 890 rwhp TT and it held the power beautifully.

How much psi are you running in the BFGs? I notice that anything over 23 lbs can cause bad wobble and movement at high speeds in these cars. I usually run mine at 21-22 psi HOT, and it really helps the car stay planted and settled at speed.

Once the BFGs are done, get some Nitto 555R DRs and it will be tons better.

Anyway, congratulations. I'm really excited for you, my friend!
Thanks bro. It was a much longer process than it should have been but the deal is done and it was worth the headaches.

The DR's were at 24 psi. I figured I would try them there and adjust. The clutch hits and it holds - I don't foresee any issues with it holding the HP now or in the future.

Thanks again for taking my calls and giving advice.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:28 PM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats Eric...that is one sweet ride...!!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:35 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Congrats Eric!! It sounds like a great car. Look forward to seeing it and you in TX in March!!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

I also was lucky enough to drive the car and I am awestruck.
This is a phenominal car (all GT2's are, I know), and really put together nicely.
The ATS really grabs hard which makes it that much more fun to rev match the rev happy lightweight flywheel equipped motor, especially when downshifting. I did several hard highway pulls and this car will do the trick, I can assure you.
This car pulls VERY HARD on 93 pump @ 1.1 bar...WOW. I previously drove S-351
GT2 (but only when it had GT28 type turbos on it). This car is faster/pulls harder than my car and S-351 in the form that I drove it.
I truly believe that DR's were not meant for this car (I differ with many of my friends on this), It needs some Mich Pilot Sport Cups and have the suspension re-set-up. One can go a long, long way with the GT2 stock suspension when set-up properly!
The custom Switzer exhaust sound different than mine and is the best I have ever heard on a 3.6 Twin, absolutely awesome.
Eric my friend, you are a lucky man and you deserve it.

MK

Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Oh, I almost forgot. If outsiders didn't already notice this mint and extremely rare car, It has the wonderful sounding TIAL External wastegates to remind them that this is no ordinary GT2...LOL !

Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Glad you like it Eric! I've had it up to 190 a number of times on the DR's at 22 psi. I always felt the car was "darty" regardles of the tire but that was mostly due to me asking for zero camber in the rear to help it hook. I believe Tym had some negative camber put back in since. Alignment was always fine.

Relative to the Z06, I never thought it was as comfortable or relaxed at 80 mph+ cruising. The steering is much more sensative to input and generally more precise. I enjoyed cruising in my Z more, but driving the GT2....if that makes sense.

As for the exhaust, it's a 'one off' that he made per my asking. It's a straight through X design with small mufflers, no cats. Tym also believes it's the best sounding exhaust he made (by accident) and is considering producing a few in the future. I actually thought it was pretty quiet....and it's as free flowing as they come.

Fyi, I ran Cavin pump vs N/A in my Z (before I put in the 3.90's) a couple summers ago multiple times and we ran dead nuts even from 40-140.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Wow...what a sweet GT2. Congratulations, and enjoy in good health!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Eric
Congrats, you must have been a very good lad because Santa has brought you a very nice gift!
Merry Christmas
Robert

Old 12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by DJ'sZ
Congrats Eric...that is one sweet ride...!!
Thanks - I really like it.

Originally Posted by MBailey
Congrats Eric!! It sounds like a great car. Look forward to seeing it and you in TX in March!!
Thanks. I am planning on being down for TX2K10 and the mile.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
I also was lucky enough to drive the car and I am awestruck.
This is a phenominal car (all GT2's are, I know), and really put together nicely.
The ATS really grabs hard which makes it that much more fun to rev match the rev happy lightweight flywheel equipped motor, especially when downshifting. I did several hard highway pulls and this car will do the trick, I can assure you.
This car pulls VERY HARD on 93 pump @ 1.1 bar...WOW. I previously drove S-351
GT2 (but only when it had GT28 type turbos on it). This car is faster/pulls harder than my car and S-351 in the form that I drove it.
I truly believe that DR's were not meant for this car (I differ with many of my friends on this), It needs some Mich Pilot Sport Cups and have the suspension re-set-up. One can go a long, long way with the GT2 stock suspension when set-up properly!
The custom Switzer exhaust sound different than mine and is the best I have ever heard on a 3.6 Twin, absolutely awesome.
Eric my friend, you are a lucky man and you deserve it.

MK
Marty -

Thanks for all the help and support. It really is a special car and I'm sure I will continue to enjoy it for a long time. The only other high hp Porsche I have driven was yours and it was an awesome and fast machine. I can not wait to get some runs in at 1.5 bar.

I'll reserve judgement on the DR's for now and see how it goes.

Eric

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally drove GT2 - first impressions.