996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo Timer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Banned
SaikoE36 is infamous around these parts
Turbo Timer

Hey guys

Im just wondering how many people on this board uses a turbo timer? If one is actually needed? What kind Brand are you using. Is it difficult to install one? Is there a SPECIAL requirement??

thanks in Advance
Kris

Old 12-05-2009, 10:55 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I'm pretty sure there's issues with the alarm on these cars. The car will remain unprotected while it times and the alarm won't set when done. Most of us just let the car idle down. If you search you ought to be able to find some discussion on it, it's been discussed for sure!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
My turbo timer is the digital clock on the nav screen. If I could only tell time, I'd be in good shape.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:33 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
I'm pretty sure there's issues with the alarm on these cars. The car will remain unprotected while it times and the alarm won't set when done. Most of us just let the car idle down. If you search you ought to be able to find some discussion on it, it's been discussed for sure!

thanks man, i tried searching but i couldnt find any answers to my questions

Old 12-06-2009, 03:12 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SaikoE36
Hey guys

Im just wondering how many people on this board uses a turbo timer? If one is actually needed? What kind Brand are you using. Is it difficult to install one? Is there a SPECIAL requirement??

thanks in Advance
Kris
I think that you are referring to a timer that runs the fan after the engine shuts down to make sure that things stay cool after a hard run. There is one built in to the car, and so this doesn't seem to be needed for our cars.

Jon

Old 12-06-2009, 05:45 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
I think that you are referring to a timer that runs the fan after the engine shuts down to make sure that things stay cool after a hard run. There is one built in to the car, and so this doesn't seem to be needed for our cars.

Jon
not the fan that runs after the car is turned off, but im actually talking about a turbo timer that allows the motor to idle for 2 mins after you take ur ignition key out of the car

Old 12-06-2009, 06:23 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SaikoE36
not the fan that runs after the car is turned off, but im actually talking about a turbo timer that allows the motor to idle for 2 mins after you take ur ignition key out of the car
Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I use a watch for that function.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
There is another turbo timer on the market HKS has it not sure if it works for the Pcar though, it gradually increases the boost as you lay the pedal down so you don't break traction.
It can be set up for Percentage of throttle, from 10% to 100% Great device

Old 12-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
My usage is such I just let engine idle a bit before shut down. Most of the time before I shut off engine useage consists of easy driving at low engine loads, low engine speeds, with of course no boost being made.

Even so I wait a few moments. I give throttle a slight jazz and then wait until engine speed returns to idle and then check oil level. When oil level timer expires -- this can 15 or more seconds -- and displays the oil level that's good enough for me.

Also, I notice when I bring car into parking space and engine at idle I note oil pressure then when I let engine idle some more I notice oil pressure drops a bit.

The drop is not much but noticable. I suspect this is from the oil picking up some heat from the various engine components including of course the turbos.

So sometimes I'll wait for the oil pressure drop, which again doesn't take too long to appear. When I see the oil pressure drop then I shut off the engine.

Doesn't take much time. I don't have a stop watch but I would estimate I've never had to wait more than 30 seconds.

Sure, extreme or severe usage -- track use of course being one such example -- if a cool down lap not taken the engine could and probably should idle a few minutes.

Even though there may be aftermarket timers that would to some extent automate this I prefer not to use one to avoid adding possible trouble-causing electronics to the car's already complex enough engine controller/security electronics systems.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I take it that you just want to get where you're going and bail out and let technology run the car for a cooldown period? There are several solutions....one is patience, and the other has already been described....just drive the car without any boost for the last mile or two before you reach your destination and let it cool naturally. I seldom sit in the car when I get to garage, but I do run it lightly for the last couple miles before getting home or wherever I'm going. Even then, I notice that my rear fan will kick on sometimes after it's been sitting in the garage for a minute or two.

For those of you who know...what exactly does that fan cool? It must just be the engine compartment in general because the turbos are too far underneath...unless it's sucking air from under the car and by doing so, pulls air from around the turbo and up thru the engine compartment???

Old 12-06-2009, 12:19 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Guys... what he is asking about is pretty common in MANY other platforms. It's a timer that keeps the car running when you remove the key and set the alarm. When the timer runs down the car shuts off. If someone attempts to drive the car it shuts off. I have used this on multiple cars and it works GREAT for making sure you idle down your turbos. It has nothing to do with controlling boost and while many people have other methods of doing this he is looking to use a piece of electronics that many vendors sell and not a wristwatch. He wants an orange not an apple.

do some searching. It was either here or Rennlist that I saw comments from folks who had tried to setup the HKS unit. The issue they ran into was the alarm not setting properly I think. If you've got a 996 now try setting the alarm with the key in, if it sets try turning off the engine and see if it stays set - probably doesn't. These cars run good synthetic oil, the turbos have some airflow around them, there's a fan up top to help circulate air. While I too would prefer a timer I think that in the grand scheme these cars aren't too bad off when it comes to coking up the bearings on the turbos if you use some common sense. <shrug>

Old 12-06-2009, 01:45 PM
TURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the roughTURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the roughTURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the rough
I personally installed a Viper alarm with 2 way communication and remote start with turbo timer. Took a couple days to get it 100% safe with a 6 speed and over the hurdles Porsche sets before us with these cars wiring wise but its been in for 2 years now and it works great. It will not start if the parking brake is not engaged and it MUST be in dead center neutral or it will not start. I give it 2 to 3 minute warm up before driving and a 3 min warm down on turbo timer.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by TURBO ELECTRO
I personally installed a Viper alarm with 2 way communication and remote start with turbo timer. Took a couple days to get it 100% safe with a 6 speed and over the hurdles Porsche sets before us with these cars wiring wise but its been in for 2 years now and it works great. It will not start if the parking brake is not engaged and it MUST be in dead center neutral or it will not start. I give it 2 to 3 minute warm up before driving and a 3 min warm down on turbo timer.
Can you give any details on the install? The E-brake switch is pretty standard stuff for a timer but the remote start making sure it's in neutral sounds pretty interesting to me! I know it can be done but... most shops I've spoken to don't seem to have it down. Not sure I so much need a remote start but if I get my car out much the timer would be welcomed. Was this a specific Viper alarm that could handle all of this?

Old 12-06-2009, 04:49 PM
U74sry is infamous around these parts
just installed a Genesis alarm that has a built in turbo timer, at the same time installed a bypass modulator to allow the car to run without the key in the ignition.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 AM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
i use the greddy turbo timer. only thing the alarm wont arm when the car is running, but everything else is ok.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Timer