996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is this blow-by or are my turbo seals bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:01 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Is this blow-by or are my turbo seals bad?

Today I had my car in the garage when I pulled out of it I noticed a small spot of oil on the floor. I decided to take a look under the car and noticed that on both sides the intercooler pipeing and turbos were badly covered with oil. Attached are some pictures. I decided to change out the clamps holding the hose to the turbo just in case the ones on there were not doing a good enough job. When I took off the intercooler hose oil just poured out of the hose. Attached are some pictures, is this normal or not?

Thanks.

Vince

Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Looking at the bolts for the turbo tank drains it doesn't look like they were removed lately. Not sure who does your oil changes but I'd start with making sure your tanks are not full of sludge causing the oil to be blocked and forcing it past the seals.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Tattoo is infamous around these parts
I had a B16 turbo motor in my EG hatch at one time, and I had the exact same problem. Sounds like it's time to rebuild the turbos to me. It's gonna be a messy job too, because all that oil inside the piping and intercooler will have to be cleaned out.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Where would the oil drain plug for the turbos be? I have the Tail GT28s.

Thanks.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
turbos don't have oil seals

the problem is going to be:
a specific 996TT phantom problem...parking on some angles with BB turbos will net some oil blowing out the exhaust/getting into the intercooler
poor oil drain - i'm guessing your drip tanks have not been modded and your scavenger pump is fine....how are your vent tubes?
CHRA on an angle...this isnt' it but could tie the first issue into that
excessive shaft play - have you checked your shaft?
too much oil pressure - are these BB or non BB?
positive crank case pressure

Last edited by TiALSport; 12-07-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Over filled? So many folks go over the 8.5qt.
Also, are you doing an idle cool down? Mine would puff / fog on start up if I didn't let it idle down....

Old 12-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I do allow for sufficent cool down for my turbos, I always drive with no boost for about 5 miles before I get home. Does anyone know what this bolt is on the turbo. It almost looks like it is leaking from there, not sure though since there is so much oil just caked on all over.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
That is just a threaded hole for a fitting in case you wanted to get a boost signal for something.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I have been reading on line that you should drain your oil from the turbos everytime you change your oil, this has never been done on my car. They say that if too much oil gets into the turbo that it will get past the seals. Does anyone know or have the procedure to drain the oil from the turbos? Mine are the Alpha Gt28's

Thank again for your help guys.

Vince

Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
David C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to all
turbos don't have oil seals
I haven't seen a dissassembled turbo charger but they have bearings supplied with oil for lubrication and cooling.

For my edification what seals the oil from being forced out of the bearing area?

The shaft has to be sealed against blow by and this is commonly done with seals. These seals can contain oil.

Thanks for you response in advance. I won't be repairing my TC's but I do like to understand the equipment on my car.

David

Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 PM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by David C
I haven't seen a dissassembled turbo charger but they have bearings supplied with oil for lubrication and cooling.

For my edification what seals the oil from being forced out of the bearing area?

The shaft has to be sealed against blow by and this is commonly done with seals. These seals can contain oil.

Thanks for you response in advance. I won't be repairing my TC's but I do like to understand the equipment on my car.

David
in short, the air being sucked in and the pressure from the exhaust gas in the turbine housing. along with a step machined into the shaft that slings oil away from the gas rings

Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by David C

David
Piston Rings!!!

incidentally... shortly after killing a cartridge from lack of oil, overspinning, or debris... these are the items that let all of the oil into your piping and exhaust.... sometimes resulting in a very smoky display of horsepower. <--- just happened on the 427TT vette quite embarassing

Justin

Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by justinn
Piston Rings!!!

incidentally... shortly after killing a cartridge from lack of oil, overspinning, or debris... these are the items that let all of the oil into your piping and exhaust.... sometimes resulting in a very smoky display of horsepower. <--- just happened on the 427TT vette quite embarassing

Justin
completely untrue, those are gas ring seals, designed to keep the exhaust gas OUT of the CHRA

Old 12-10-2009, 01:37 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
Piston Rings!!!

Justin
Ok, since it appears you missed that simple multiple choice question, I'm no longer letting you tune any of my ****! What is Reed's number?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:11 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TiALSport
completely untrue, those are gas ring seals, designed to keep the exhaust gas OUT of the CHRA
LOL, you haven't seen my center cartidges for the corvette!!!!

There is no shaft, no bearing(Garrett 2871ish turbos) left, and the shaft is in 2 pieces. Oil is now leaking past where the piston rings USED to be. Don't worry, it's not a "Tial" turbo ... but I assure you... without those pieces there, there is nothing to keep the oil contained The corvette also has a type of scavenging system since Lingenfelter mounts the turbos below the sump, although it's nothing like the factory Porsche setup. The rings, or "gas ring seals" do indeed keep contamination from happening and after being at the forefront of some turbo system design can definitely tell you that not having enough return line(or scavenging system) will definitely result in some smoky exhaust and leaky turbos If you read my post, you'll see that I said after the failure on my corvette ...

I am familiar with How a turbo works having been overly exposed to them for going on 18 years now. This includes much disassembly and rebuilding with Majestic back in the day before import performance was import performance

Justin

Last edited by justinn; 12-10-2009 at 07:20 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this blow-by or are my turbo seals bad?