996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVOMS wastegate kit installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 AM
jalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura about
EVOMS wastegate kit installed

i didn't think that such an upgrade would make such a big difference, amazing. I was hitting 1.2Bar on my stock wastegate but it wasn't as intense as the 1 Bar wastegate kit. the only problem i'm facing now is setting the opening of the flap, i set the pressure on each wastegate to 13.5PSI and am getting 1.1-1.2bar, i'll try different settings again tommorrow, am aiming for 1.3-1.4 Bar.

another problem i started to have after installing the wastegate kit and its the first time that happened to me, is that in 3rd gear when i push it all the way to 7000RPM, the PSM off and ABS off comes on but the car boosts normally (1.1-1.2 Bar) it doesn't go into limp mode, but when i switch off the engine it clears out, it keeps happening on 3rd gear when i near the RPM's redline, any thoughts?

Last edited by jalmood; 12-07-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jalmood
i didn't think that such an upgrade would make such a big difference, amazing. I was hitting 1.2Bar on my stock wastegate but it wasn't as intense as the 1 Bar wastegate kit. the only problem i'm facing now is setting the opening of the flap, i set the pressure on each wastegate to 13.5PSI and am getting 1.1-1.2bar, i'll try different settings again tommorrow, am aiming for 1.3-1.4 Bar.

another problem i started to have after installing the wastegate kit and its the first time that happened to me, is that in 3rd gear when i push it all the way to 7000RPM, the PSM off and ABS off comes on but the car boosts normally (1.1-1.2 Bar) it doesn't go into limp mode, but when i switch off the engine it clears out, it keeps happening on 3rd gear when i near the RPM's redline, any thoughts?
Thank you for your post. Do you have a code reader? I would guess that you are getting an overboost code that is "pending". Can you answer some questions about your setup?
  • Does the car have an ECU tune or Exhaust upgrade
  • 6-Speed or Tiptronic transmission
  • Any other modifications
Let me know so I can help you figure this out.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 12-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
Thank you for your post. Do you have a code reader? I would guess that you are getting an overboost code that is "pending". Can you answer some questions about your setup?
  • Does the car have an ECU tune or Exhaust upgrade
  • 6-Speed or Tiptronic transmission
  • Any other modifications
Let me know so I can help you figure this out.
The car is running an EPL flash. In general a pending over boost code would not trigger a psm or abs light.

My guess is the car has a weak or dead maf.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 AM
jalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura about
What Tony said.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:10 PM
I have scanned the car with the Durametric and have pulled the following codes:

Motoronic (Engine DME) 7.8:
1) P1255 exceeds Limit Value.
2) P0103 Hot Film MAF Sensor.

ABS/PSM 5.7
1) 5525 Incorrect Data Transfer With DME Master Control Unit.

Should I try cleaning out the MAF first and try it one more time before I replace it?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
I have scanned the car with the Durametric and have pulled the following codes:

Motoronic (Engine DME) 7.8:
1) P1255 exceeds Limit Value.
2) P0103 Hot Film MAF Sensor.

ABS/PSM 5.7
1) 5525 Incorrect Data Transfer With DME Master Control Unit.

Should I try cleaning out the MAF first and try it one more time before I replace it?

P1255

230 Boost Pressure Characteristic, Upper Value
Exceeded - Above Limit

P0103

115 Mass Air Flow Sensor - Above Limit

Try cleaning the MAF and test it again. Also, you will want to initialize the throttle after you clear the codes. Key on without starting the car for 1 minute. Then start the car. The over boost code can be related or unrelated. Fix the MAF issue first. Once that is corrected, you can see if the overboost code is still there due to the wastegates not being set the same left to right or something may need to be adjusted in your software.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 12-08-2009, 07:44 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
P1255
230 Boost Pressure Characteristic, Upper Value

Exceeded - Above Limit

P0103

115 Mass Air Flow Sensor - Above Limit

left to right or something may need to be adjusted in your software.
They would have to be very "OUT OF WACK" for this to cause it. I have seen stock K24's WG's out of wack and they never caused a code.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I have pressure tested both wastegates and both were dialed to 13.5psi, then all i have done is adjust the flaps, after adjusting the flaps i'm getting a constant 1.1-1.2 bars, i have erased the codes after testing since i installed the wastegates and i didn't check again for any error codes, i will check again today, and adjust the flaps again for 1.3-1.4 bars after i replace the MAF. The errors that i have mentioned were trigered when i first tested the car after i installed the wastegates, after that i have adjusted the flaps a couple of times during which i have tested the car after each adjustment until they were giving me a constant reading of 1.1-1.2 bars, i don't that i will get the overboost error again, anyway am planing to check it out again today.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I have pressure tested both wastegates and both were dialed to 13.5psi, then all i have done is adjust the flaps, after adjusting the flaps i'm getting a constant 1.1-1.2 bars, i have erased the codes after testing since i installed the wastegates and i didn't check again for any error codes, i will check again today, and adjust the flaps again for 1.3-1.4 bars after i replace the MAF. The errors that i have mentioned were trigered when i first tested the car after i installed the wastegates, after that i have adjusted the flaps a couple of times during which i have tested the car after each adjustment until they were giving me a constant reading of 1.1-1.2 bars, i don't that i will get the overboost error again, anyway am planing to check it out again today.
How do you plan to "adjust the flaps for 1.3-1.4" ??????

When you do these flap adjustments do you ALSO SYNC THEM UP? They must be syncd each time, IMHO

A

Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by ard
How do you plan to "adjust the flaps for 1.3-1.4" ??????

When you do these flap adjustments do you ALSO SYNC THEM UP? They must be syncd each time, IMHO

A
You mean i need to pressure test again? Do i need to increase the pressure on the wastegates more than 13.5psi to get 1.3-1.4 bar?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
What are you planning on doing, just cranking down the preload on the rods to prevent the engine from releasing excess boost?

I would ask whomever tuned your car for specific advice on how to set the wastegates.

If you set them at 13.5.... but they twiddle to get higher boost, they will NOT be at 13.5 when you are done.

What have you done to strengthen the motor, anything?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by ard
What are you planning on doing, just cranking down the preload on the rods to prevent the engine from releasing excess boost?

I would ask whomever tuned your car for specific advice on how to set the wastegates.

If you set them at 13.5.... but they twiddle to get higher boost, they will NOT be at 13.5 when you are done.

What have you done to strengthen the motor, anything?
The motor is not strengthened i only have bolt on mods. I will ask Tony at EPL for instructions on setting them up.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
ard
The motor is not strengthened i only have bolt on mods. I will ask Tony at EPL for instructions on setting them up.
make sure you ask him about your ideas to increase boost to 1.3-1.4

Old 12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
vip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nicevip gts is just really nice
The wastegates are not a mechanism to adjust boost, the tune is I believe. Once you balance the wastegates to open at the desired pressure such as 12psi then it is your tune and other areas such as diverter valves, possible leaks or turbo issues that need to be addressed.
Talk to your tuner.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM
i'm getting a constant 1.1-1.2 bars now after several adjustment, and no more codes except for the bad MAF, should i still be worried?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVOMS wastegate kit installed