996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anybody know this 2001 car for sale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 AM
smithk3933 has a spectacular aura aboutsmithk3933 has a spectacular aura about
Anybody know this 2001 car for sale

Interesting listing at Executive Motor Cars in Lake Bluff, Il for an 01 with Gt2 upgrades.

http://www.executive-motorcarz.com/w...px?iid=2405882

Does anyone here have any info on this vehicle? Thought I would check before going the next steps of PPI, etc. The car supposedly has already been inspected at the Porsche Exchange.

Thanks for the info.

Keith

Old 12-09-2009, 01:14 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
being that it has aftermarket clutch and fly wheel you should definately drive this exact car and make sure you like how it drives, some people hate it, its pretty agressive, depends if you want it for a DD, a weekend cruise car, or a track beast

has some nice mods though, price seems good, get the vin number and google it, something might pop up, even though carfax is not 100% accurate i would still run one anyway

good luck

Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Ran a search on this forum with the VIN and did find some interesting info. Seems like this car has spent some time as the good Doctor Porsche had in mind winning some PCA events.

Now the question is, would you automatically run from a car which spent a couple of seasons in PCA club racing before being returned to the street?

Keith

Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Janker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really nice
One thing to check - Has it got the original white VIN/build sticker under the bonnet from the factory? - If not its probably had new bonnet/paint work..

Positives:
GT3 boot/spolier (if that's your thing)
Carbon interior (again if that's your thing)
Low mileage
Nice colour and condition looking at photo graphs

Negatives:
No Sat Nav (seems desirable for resale even though its junk)
Ruffled leather (not desirable over here on a 911, but perhaps it is in the US?)
Its been tracked - you could argue these are built for it.. just check for damage/overspray etc - the usual stuff

Advise
PLEASE Get an independant PPI done if you can (or a warranty and check for exclusions carefully)
Check rads, all 5 x of them - leave car running for 10 x mins after test drive and have a good sniff about the front for coolant odours
Check disks/pads for lips on outside
Check 30k service done with plugs and coil packs (latter is optional)
Get it on a workshop ramp and have a good look underneath before you buy, very important if its been tracked as damage is often hidden and repairs costs can be huge.

Good luck and go with your gut feel, not what your heart might be telling you

Jim

Old 12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
I would be happy to return the favor that a couple guys did for me and take a look at the car for you.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:23 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Janker
One thing to check - Has it got the original white VIN/build sticker under the bonnet from the factory? - If not its probably had new bonnet/paint work..

Positives:
GT3 boot/spolier (if that's your thing)
Carbon interior (again if that's your thing)
Low mileage
Nice colour and condition looking at photo graphs

Negatives:
No Sat Nav (seems desirable for resale even though its junk)
Ruffled leather (not desirable over here on a 911, but perhaps it is in the US?)
Its been tracked - you could argue these are built for it.. just check for damage/overspray etc - the usual stuff

Advise
PLEASE Get an independant PPI done if you can (or a warranty and check for exclusions carefully)
Check rads, all 5 x of them - leave car running for 10 x mins after test drive and have a good sniff about the front for coolant odours
Check disks/pads for lips on outside
Check 30k service done with plugs and coil packs (latter is optional)
Get it on a workshop ramp and have a good look underneath before you buy, very important if its been tracked as damage is often hidden and repairs costs can be huge.

Good luck and go with your gut feel, not what your heart might be telling you

Jim
You mean GT2 spoiler.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Whereitsat
I would be happy to return the favor that a couple guys did for me and take a look at the car for you.
Thanks for the offer. I'm still trying to do some research before I waste anyone's time. Are you located near the Lake Bluff, Il area?

Keith

Old 12-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Janker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really nice
Originally Posted by unvmy996
You mean GT2 spoiler.
That's the badger

Old 12-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
So the car has a GT2 rear wing and front bumper cover. Nice, but the big question is did they do the swap properly and relocate the radiator?

The brakes look to be standard 996TT fare and nothing special at all. I also don't see much mention of any performance parts beyond the mention of a shifter and aftermarket exhaust/ clutch kit.

It's a nice looking car, but make no bones about it, the car is a stock 996TT based on the add. It's probably worth the money if everything checks out, but make sure you get an INDEPENDANT PPI by another dealership.

Mike

Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
obviously its not a highly modded track beast thats gonna be kicking butt at the texas mile but its hardly stock (mods listed below) stock engine maybe but not a stock car, he/she has obviously sunk a decent amount of money into this car in mods

as mike said get a ppi and make sure everything was done right

CARBON FIBER THROUGHOUT!!
GT2 FRONT BUMPER!!
TECHART AERO KIT!!
BILSTEIN PSS9 ADJUSTABLE COILOVER SUSPENSION!! ($2600)
B & B EXHAUST!! ($4100)
GT2 CLUTCH AND LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL!! ($2995)
BILLET BLOW OFF VALVE!! ($299)
PORSCHE SHORT SHIFTER!!

Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Right, but I guess when I originally read it I read it as I would normally expect to read about a "modified" car. These mods are mainly cosmetic. Don't get me wrong, if the car checks out with a PPI, it's worth the price. I just expected more "performance" mods, since it was being compared to GT2.

Mike

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM
GMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of light
Looks like a clean but it'll be very difficult to adjust the clock.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Not sure what is meant by "adjust the clock". Had a chance to talk with the owner and was told it was run on dozen DE weekends and two PCA Club Races in B stock. Suspension has been swapped "down" to PSS9 since track days.

Keith

Old 12-09-2009, 08:17 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
^ it appears the **** to adjust it is missing

Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
this car was used and abused. I believe it is the one that used to have the coolshirt unit in the front hood area and the kinesis wheels. I would bet that all of those 35k miles have been rough. Price is decent now that the 996tt market is rebounding a bit and considering the upgrades that it has..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody know this 2001 car for sale