996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche Brain Surgery Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Porsche Brain Surgery Update

So as some of you know the Porsche has gone under the knife for a very major upgrade. This would be swapping to a standalone PCM that controls almost every function of the car. Some may chime in and say it is a piggyback, but that is not entirely true. Something that years ago said could not be done successfully on a 996TT. Well about 8 months ago it was proven wrong by possibly one of the best tuners in the world (outside of the Porsche world). That would be Justin Nenni from Tuning Concepts. He has had it working successfully on his car for the last 8 months (as in no Christmas tree on the dash) and I decided that since I will be building my motor soon enough that it was time to make the swap. I previously was running a tune by Tony Chick @ EPL and it ran flawlessly. Not only did I set the HP record for a stock bottom end, I also set the fastest stock motor 996TT 60-130 record as well as the fastest AWD 996TT 60-130 record. I just wanted to get ready for the motor instead of doing EVERYTHING at once. This will allow us to get the tuning down perfect so when the new motor comes it will just need WOT tuning. The setup is not a cheap setup, but for the ultimate in control of the car it is certainly worth it. I do not want to go in complete detail of the setup, because I do not know all the facts. Justin may chime in himself and talk about it some, because well he is the man behind the setup.

The car is headed back up to Boost Logic this week for final tuning, clean up, photoshoot, etc.. The car would have been tuned for low boost a few days ago, but while on the dyno we split a coolant hose down the middle because it hit a motor mount. This has happened to a few people on the forum luckly so this isn't a 996TT first for me LOL!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-11-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
V-Pro?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Dude that thread title scared the crap out of me! Looking forward to the build updates.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
Dude that thread title scared the crap out of me! Looking forward to the build updates.
Yeah me too. Looking forward to updates on this one. Congrats on the chip upgrade

Old 12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Could you please give some details of the system & approx price range?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:59 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Hey Chris,

It's too bad we couldn't finish up while I was in Houston, but I will get the car up here to Austin and finish it up for you.

Feel free to drive it around sub 15psi

Chris has big plans for his car(engine wise, horsepower wise) in the future which prompted us to be proactive and get the standalone up and running before he builds his engine. It was running great on the EPL tune prior to that verified by the multiple records set.

As far as cost and availability, you can contact BoostLogic or myself directly. I will say this though... 99% of people will not need this modification, nor is it extremely inexpensive. I recommend Tony at EPL for the rest of your ECU tuning solutions.

Justin

Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
V-Pro?
yesiree... a modified Vpro as we spoke about at TX2K9

Justin

Old 12-10-2009, 05:38 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Powell,

Did you move back home ??

Old 12-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Powell,

Did you move back home ??
If I don't sell my Turbos I may have to when the Tax Monster takes my house!!! lol j/k!!!

Nah I was doing a lot of the work at their house because I do not have the tools at my house yet. Well I have the basics but of course the Porsche has so many random bolt sizes, etc.. that I don't have yet.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:13 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Sounds like a great project Chris. The thread title is not very well suited for the topic though I must say. Keep us posted!!!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 PM
If Scott wants to change it to "Porsche Brain Surgery" that would be better I forgot I didn't add the first part when I created the post!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Yeah dude, scary thread title!!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
That title scared me too lol

good work.. congrats on pushing the envelope..
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I opened up this thread, after being out of country for awhile, and my jaw about hit the floor. I'm glad it wasn't your noggin having the surgery Chris.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Chris tell us what you plan on doing for an engine build. What route you plan on, 3.6? or 3.8? stock heads or GT3?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Brain Surgery Update