996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tune recomendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:40 PM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Yeah, did some searching not 3 mins ago.

I need to crawl under there and see what's going on and how easy/hard it'd be.

Seems $1k is about the going rate for the k24/18gs, that doesn't sound to bad. Course I think that'd put me in the 'Now I need a clutch" department

Whey can't I just leave stuff alone??

Old 12-12-2009, 06:04 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yup, 18G's are a HUGE upgrade from the K24's as far as potential and between $1200-$1500 with wastegates, that ARE necessary. Send your turbos out and have them back in a few days depending where you are. 18g's, 5bar FPR and wastegates will get you to 500-530AWHP with the right tune. The car stock (depending on dyno) is approximately 330-350awhp, you do the math. A custom tune will get you a little more power and better drivability. That will be a fun car and great bang for the buck.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:38 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
markski can set you up with a good package and Proto Tune and get you going
5bar FPR, k24/18g's Flash and some nice intercoolers and then wait till your lutch slips and you will have a blast i garentee it.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Take a look at a talk to Switzer also. I just did the L1 package on my X50 and its like driving a new car, the power comes in very smoothly and the exhaust (no cats in my setup) is great.

There are a lot of options out there and researching on here is key as well as actually calling and talking to the tuners to see if what they are offering is the setup you are after. Not everyone wants the same thing (ie you have your mexican highway racers, your drag racers, your track/daily driver guys like myself).

You should also try and grab rides locally if possible in upgraded cars to give you an idea if the paths those guys took is what you are looking for.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:34 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I have used three different tuners since 2001 when I purchased my turbo. Of those three tuners, only Protomotive has delivered the goods. My car never has warning lights, it runs on any gas I put in the car and when I crank up the boost it is always is spot on!
Good luck
Robert

Old 12-12-2009, 02:55 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
We have the same car and if you would like to see the results, go to my youtube site http://www.youtube.com/user/rpassananti (go to my videos section) and see what she can do. The car is very impressive and consistently performs without any issues.

Flash – Revo $2300
Exhaust – used JIC Titanium $2300 (cost 6000 new)
DV’s – Forge (I think $150)
Clutch – ATS Carbonetices Triple Disk 11.5 with light weight fly wheel ($3500)

Total - $8,100

Clutch labor at dealership with entire drive train fluid change $2,000.
Exhaust labor at dealership with oil change $600

Total cost - $10,700

Old 12-12-2009, 03:08 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Here is a video of my car, 2008 Z06 and an EVOMS C63 AMG wide body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDXfr2_nk6A

Old 12-12-2009, 08:10 PM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
@robertp, HA! I have watched a couple of your vids before!
very cool.

Thanks to all who have commented. It is appreciated and I have a pretty good bearing on where to go from here.

Looks like I'll do a tune based upgrade for now and look hard at the k24/18g hybrid down the road a bit.

I have GOT to finish the Vette this winter if it kills me, and my wife mentioned supercharging the Denali today so those are the top two priorities for now.

The turbo will have to wait till next year for major work, but it'll feel slow by then so that should work out well!