996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tune recomendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 PM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Tune recomendations

Howdy again,

Would like some recommendations for a flash tune and possibly other upgrades for my 05 Turbo S

It's already got a Tubi exhaust and the car came factory with K24s
(you all probably know that though)

I'm currently considering sharkwerkz and EPL, any others to look at?

I'm looking for about 100+/- increase with no drive ability issues and minor bolt ons such as diverter valves and maybe an intake but I've heard alot about blown MAFs

Suggestions on proven shops to go with?

Remote ability is a big plus, or sending my ECM in, I don't fancy taking my car several thousand miles for the work.

I can handle the DVs and other minor/ midlevel work myself most likely as long as I can get my hands on a shop manual.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i wouldnt bother with the intake it will probably cause you problems and wont really gain you much with your current setup, i would swap out the dv's now, i went with bailey

EPL can do the tune remotely or you can send them your ecu, Tony is a great guy

dont think for one minute you'll be happy with power, you will want more and more and more...

Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Tune fuel system, 18g upgrade, intercoolers DV's clutch now that it slips

Old 12-11-2009, 04:41 PM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
English please? "18g upgrade???"

Sorry, I'm old school, ya know 500+ cubic inches and a blower, stuff like that.

Help and old dog out and talk down to me a bit.

thanks

Old 12-11-2009, 04:50 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
no offense but you really need to use the search function and educate yourself, read a ton of threads and posts on this site, there are tons of things you can do to your ride and tons of companies to use

if your looking to gain 100hp start with a tune from epl, swap out your dv's and see if that makes you happy

Old 12-11-2009, 04:51 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
This is totally overkilled for 100+/- hp.

Since you have exhaust, just a flash should do. The DVs are insurance and have no impact on performance. Your car is quite new and the DVs can wait.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback, and yeah I understand about the search function

Sometimes it' nice to attempt to actually participate in a new forum when you have something new though.

Sometimes it's not even clear what to search for either, so some recent advice, comments and experience can go a long ways towards pointing a newb in the right direction

(shrug)

Anyhoo, off to search land I go

thanks

Old 12-11-2009, 05:59 PM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
Talking

For most of us (at least for me) upgrades become how much can you afford and when. Why stop at 100 hp when for a few thousand more you can get 150. That said, beyond a tune each additional pony gets more expensive

My take:

$ = Tune (absolutely best bang for the money invested)

$$ = Above + Upgrade your K24s to K24/18g and get more fuel via a 5 bar FPR (seriously consider performance clutch) (with K24s already, this is the most cost effective turbo upgrade)

$$$ = Above + Meth injection (must do performance clutch as stock will not last long) (I think this is a great value as you get race gas performance on pump gas)

In $$ or $$$ Bigger injectors are a good investment from an engine safety perspective, as stock will start to require full spray a lot fo the time, but certainly not required

If you think this will not be enough and you want > 600 AWHP, and you have money to burn, admit that to yourself and go another direction with more modern turbos (in other words, scrap the K24s and get some Tials or similar)

The above is more than enough for you to start searching and reading on. There is a great wealth of information on this forum and most of it is pretty consistent with some preferences.

Good luck and spend wisely

Old 12-11-2009, 06:08 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Call Tony at EPL, he'll tell you everything you need to know...have your credit card in your hand

Old 12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Or you could just get a UMW flash programmer from Kevin and flash the car yourself in less than 30 seconds. You don't send in the ECU. Flash back to stock for smog tests if your state has them, same 30 seconds. Race gas program is also available. Plus many more upgrades if you want them. I've been very happy with mine.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
It uses your K24 turbo and swap Mitsubishi 18G compressors side in. Make more hp and some better response. With support mod like proper size injectors(bigger), tune, intercool, 650-700hp is in reach. It will not cost much, due to you already have K24s. (check in topic 60-130. you will see many use them and get impressive number.)
Tune: Epl, Protomotive, Evom etc. All good stuff.
Originally Posted by mtcraigco
English please? "18g upgrade???"

Sorry, I'm old school, ya know 500+ cubic inches and a blower, stuff like that.

Help and old dog out and talk down to me a bit.

thanks

Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Oh yeah, I know all about the never ending cycle. Been there done that, more than once.

I'm pretty solid on this one just being bolt ons and tune, if that gets me 100hp, great if it gets me 125, even better.

I don't want to go "into" the motor, swap turbos, pull the engine, or any of that, at least not yet.

I have a 79 Vette that's gettin a nasty "old school" big block and it still needs finished and is my winter project. It's all there in the shop, I just need to get off my butt and do it.
So simple, quick stuff is the rule for the 911 until the Vette is done, then maybe, we'll see.

Hmmmm, flash tuning eh? I've done LOTS of that with the 06 Daytona Charger (500+/- HP, NA, at the crank) I have, that might be an option. Yankin the ECU and sending it off does not scare me though and saves all those emails back and forth I would assume.

I appreciate the feedback and comments, I have some homework to do now!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Since you have a K24 do a 18g upgrade and a flash with a 5 bar FPR...
We have been experimenting with 18gs and 20gs long before they became popular on P cars... we can not only remotely upload a flash but also custom tune it for you...
good luck,
markski

ps. there are good tuners out here so you can't go wrong.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 PM
For a decent mech, with good instructions/shop manual, and a good helper,

How complicated/how long to DIY the 18g upgrade?

(peers over the edge of the cliff I have fallen off before)

Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
its a direct swap ... the 5 bar fpr is easy as well...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tune recomendations