996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Seats with WAF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
Seats with WAF

I am looking to upgrade from the stock seats in my '03 996tt and have read most of what's available on the forum (and there is some good info here), but still don't feel like I am finding what I really want and I am not sure it exists.

First challenge: WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) My marriage depends on seats with heat. We live in the Northeast and on a cool evening in July she either wants the heat on full blast or seat heat, so seat heat is a requirement. Also, she has a strong preference for leather seats, as do I, so that's a WAF requirement as well.

Second challenge: The car is a daily driver, and I need access to the rear as I frequently carry stuff from place to place in the car

Third Challenge: I am 6'1" 205 lbs, 36" waist, so I cannot shoehorm into a small/narrow seat, I value a seat that sits lower than stock as my knees are a little crowded with the stock seats now

Fourth Challenge: They can't cost a fortune. I would like to spend $2,500 on good used, but for the ideal could probably convince myself to go a tad higher.

Nice to haves: I love the look of the GT3 seats, but a bucket seat is not going to work for me given the above need for access. something that looks and performs (supports) like a GT3 seat, but provides rear access and heat is the ideal.

Any suggestions and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Also, point of view on would size be OK.

Finally, asking for the moon and stars here, does anyone have suggestions on places in the New York Metro area where I could go "test sit" a few seats?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joe731
I am looking to upgrade from the stock seats in my '03 996tt and have read most of what's available on the forum (and there is some good info here), but still don't feel like I am finding what I really want and I am not sure it exists.

First challenge: WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) My marriage depends on seats with heat. We live in the Northeast and on a cool evening in July she either wants the heat on full blast or seat heat, so seat heat is a requirement. Also, she has a strong preference for leather seats, as do I, so that's a WAF requirement as well.

Second challenge: The car is a daily driver, and I need access to the rear as I frequently carry stuff from place to place in the car

Third Challenge: I am 6'1" 205 lbs, 36" waist, so I cannot shoehorm into a small/narrow seat, I value a seat that sits lower than stock as my knees are a little crowded with the stock seats now

Fourth Challenge: They can't cost a fortune. I would like to spend $2,500 on good used, but for the ideal could probably convince myself to go a tad higher.

Nice to haves: I love the look of the GT3 seats, but a bucket seat is not going to work for me given the above need for access. something that looks and performs (supports) like a GT3 seat, but provides rear access and heat is the ideal.

Any suggestions and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Also, point of view on would size be OK.

Finally, asking for the moon and stars here, does anyone have suggestions on places in the New York Metro area where I could go "test sit" a few seats?

There are three simple solutions:
1. Go buy a bunch of the crack and heat packs at the local drug store. They are about 5 bucks each and based on 2 new seats at 5k, these are a cost effective solution that will allow you to buy you over 1,000 of the things (about 10 years worth).
2.Micro wave stadium seat pads from the NFL Giants.
3. Everytime she gets in the car, make sure you nail 150mph on the freeway on ramp.

My wife won't get in the car and I like it that way.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 12-11-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:37 AM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
Love the 150 on freeway ramp idea.

I am slowly moving toward "won't get in the car."

When I replaced the exhaust, she told me she would not longer drive it. I faked a frown and then let loose a big grin as I walked around the corner.

As I continue to research this, the 997 GT2 seats seem unique in having the 996 GT3 appeal, but with access to the rear, only problem is they are still wildly expensive.

The quest continues.

Has anyone done just one GT3 driver's seat and one stock? Is that a goofy looking solution?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
My wife has been in my car twice in 5 years...doesn't matter what seats or sound...LOL

Just get the GT3 seats and forgetaboutit.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
becareful being a big guy n buyin gt3 fixed back seats test fit some so you know you fit

Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
becareful being a big guy n buyin gt3 fixed back seats test fit some so you know you fit
Haha, very true words.

I am pretty sure there are Recaros that fill you requirements including heat, if you could leave out heat, the Cobra Misanos I have meet the rest of your requirements, I love them, you might need to talk to them to see if your waist will fit or ask Frankster what size his waist is, he as riden in my car and is a bigger guy than me (33" waist).

Old 12-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I would guess that 997 adaptive sports seats with heat would be a viable option that meets all your goals (including price), but I know that the heat option is pretty rare to come by on them. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:04 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
adams seats the cobras are awesome, i havent got to sit in them yet but i have seen them upclose a couple times. frank is 38-40" i believe about my size which is 38 and i do not fit in the gt3 style seats i can get in them but not for long =)

i remember when the misanos came out tey were the ticket then too

Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Love the 150 on freeway ramp idea.

I am slowly moving toward "won't get in the car."

When I replaced the exhaust, she told me she would not longer drive it. I faked a frown and then let loose a big grin as I walked around the corner.

As I continue to research this, the 997 GT2 seats seem unique in having the 996 GT3 appeal, but with access to the rear, only problem is they are still wildly expensive.

The quest continues.

Has anyone done just one GT3 driver's seat and one stock? Is that a goofy looking solution?

Get the 996 GT3RS seats and take out the back seats since they are useless and you wont be able to get to them anyway. You'll also save some pounds with the GT3 seats. There are also avaliable with longer and lower rails for tall guys. Have the seat backs painted the same color as your car. It's cost effective solution that you will enjoy everytime you get in the car.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 AM
What are the differences between the GT3, GT3RS and GT3 Euro seats? Are all three manual buckets of the same size?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
waf?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:38 PM
What are the differences between the GT3, GT3RS and GT3 Euro seats? Are all three manual buckets of the same size?
For MY 996, these should all be the same seat. Check Suncoast in FLA.