996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Found a great Ipod solution for pre-MOST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 04:17 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Thanks Pvanosta,
Is there any way to conect my iPod to the OEM Nav ?
I don't really wanna use my Kenwood (it was a gift from my wife).

Old 12-25-2009, 04:32 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
How do you switch the radio to the AUX? What are the instructions?

Old 12-25-2009, 04:42 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ROCK
Thanks Pvanosta,
Is there any way to conect my iPod to the OEM Nav ?
I don't really wanna use my Kenwood (it was a gift from my wife).
+1 re Ipod for 996 Nav pre most.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:26 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Mike I don't think this one will work with a 3G either though. If I'm wrong I'd be happy but....

Old 12-25-2009, 07:28 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
I'll do my best to answer the questions above.
1. To the best of my knowledge, the wire will charge a 3G with the special adapter but based on what I have read, there is no audio through the dock connector. The same cable is available with the mini jack instead of the dock adapter and then you can play audio from your 3G but you cannot charge.
2. The 'head unit' side of the cable is designed to match the blue connector that goes into the back of a CDR 220 head unit. I have no idea what the back of the Porsche Nav unit looks like. If, by some miracle, it uses the same connector to drive the CD changer in the front trunk, you are in luck and you should be good to go.
3. To get the radio to AUX:

Turn the radio on, hold down the TP button until Becker 1 is displayed. Turn tuning **** until AUX OFF is displayed. Then arrow down and change it to AUX ON. Turn the radio off."

Old 12-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
PV: Have you found any sort of mount that would look decent with the iPod? I know that you can run the cable thru the back of the slot box under the CD holders and there's enough wire (36") to be able to reach just about anywhere ....but I was trying to find some sort of black or dark holder colored mount that you could place in some convenient spot and allow you to see the face of the iPod within easy reach. I've been all over eBay and can only find the suction cup windshield mounts and a couple of goose necked mounts with the epoxy stick-on. Those tend to come unglued in the heat. A fllush mound of some sort would be ideal.

I think a guy could take out those four CD holders and put in some sort of faceplate that would accept a flush mount holster type holder.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
Chuck,
I hear ya. I have heard of people buying an Ipod mount with in the back what I can only describe as a horizontal blade sticking out at a right angle.

that blade can be jammed between two components of the central console at different locations. The Ipod sits in the cradle at the fron of the blade and faces out.

Something similar can be found to be wedged somewhere in the AC vents at the top of the console.

Neither solution is perfect and your mileage may vary.

I'll see if I can find any more info on either and post it here.

I have two empty cubby holes above the batwing at the base of the console. My Ipod lies in one and my garage remote in the other.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Chuck,
Look at these guys:

http://www.proclipusa.com/

Plug in your car and device in the dropdowns and you get a decent looking solution that hooks up to the passenger side of the bottom half of the console.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
PV: I had my neighbor come over and we installed the kit today. Your directions are right on, and the fact you include the radio pulling keys made the removal take all of five minutes...and that included taking off the side panels and pulling out the CD holder and the recessed box.

The hardest part was fishing the wiring down...that took five minutes then we drilled a hole in the back of the recessed box and brought the connector thru there. Everything worked great with one exception.

There is a slight amount of radio feedback which is probably coming from the power side and the setup could probably use some sort of filter there. You can only hear it between songs when there's no music playing and it elevates slightly when the backlight goes off. My neighbor said he'd write up the issue in more technical terms since i'm a schmuck when it comes to electronics...and I sat back and watched the install rather than do it myself. I'm a bit deaf...compliments of Nam so I'm happy as a clam at high tide....but he's very technical and precise.

All in all, great setup and I'll look for that holder you mentioned....but I may end up just leaving it in the recessed box because it's easier to maneuver through the song and artist lists while holding it in your hand. Good product....I recommend it to folks who have an iPod or any other device that would be compatible.

My buddy wanted to know if you have anything for an 04 Ford F150 pickup radio?

Chuck

Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
beegee is infamous around these parts
Will this work in conjunction with the stock CD changer? I *think* the changer uses the AUX also.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi Chuck,
I"m glad you had an easy install experience, thanks to your buddy.
Threading the cable down the back of the console was what took me the longest too.

Regarding the feedback/whine: Try raising the volume on the ipod itself to close to max volume and reducing the volume on the head unit and see if that maxes a difference.

Regarding the F150: that made me smile. I'm not in any way affiliated with the vendor. I'm just a happy consumer like yourself.

I had been looking so long for an elegant solution that would allow me to play my ipod without ripping out my entire sound system and spending thousands. Now I found it and it was so easy to install, I just wanted to share with the group.

Please let me know how you get on with the interference/whine.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:34 PM
beegee:
This replaces the CD changer on the AUX connection, so it's one or the other. Considering the CD changer does not play CD-R, I never use it.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 PM
PV: My apologies...Ive been talking to you thru this exercise and somehow got the idea you were de man. I'll have to go look at the website and contact him (Jeremy) directly. Do you notice any feedback on you installation? Like I said, I've lost a good bit of my hearing so I don't really notice it, but if there is a feedback issue, I think it would be a good suggestion for the vendor to include a filter of some sort on the power input side.

Beegee: My buddy is truly a sound afficianado...and he was astounded at the quality of the playback on the stock OEM CDR220 head unit. I know I've read here where guys complain about the quality of the Becker unit...but I see no room for complaint with this iPod setup...now I don't have to futz around with it when I go beyond radio range of my local stations. It will probably stay on AUX for the rest of its natural life.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 12-27-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Chuck,
No problem at all. I'm flattered

I only noticed the slightest of interference, but I have my Ipod cranked up and use less of the head unit amplification as a result. Maybe that makes the difference.

If the noise is bothersome, it might be some sort of ground loop hum. If that is the case, it could be the cable or it could be something in the car's electrics, but that's beyond my technical ability.
Talking to Jeremy will be your best bet.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:00 PM
I fired off an email to Jeremy with the same detail and suggestion we've been discussing. Incidentally, that link you sent me for the dash holder for the iPod is probably one of the better products I've seen...it's simple and mounts flush with a 15 degree angulation...no neck or extended base. The question is finding a suitable spot that would be convenient and allow you to change the song/artist/album easily while in a mounted positon. I may just leave it on the cable and tuck the excess in the cubby hole. It's also easy to disconnect or cover with a black cloth when leaving the car so that you don't have an iPod sitting in plain view. (Mine is stark white)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Found a great Ipod solution for pre-MOST