996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Found a great Ipod solution for pre-MOST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
Found a great Ipod solution for pre-MOST

First of all: I have no affiliation with the vendor in any way. I'm just a happy customer.

Secondly: I am as non-technical as it gets when it comes to cars (I know the theory but I never ever work on my cars) and I was able to make this work perfectly in 30 minutes.

Thirdly: this works for pre-MOST porsches with the Becker CR/CDR-220 head units

The product;
iWireP-220-iPod: iPod Connector Cable
for Porsche Boxster (986) & Carrera (996)
with factory CR/CDR-220 head units

I found a reference in one single post on this forum and looked these guys up. They can be found at

iwirep.com

The difference between this cable and some of the other cables being offered, is that this works with all Ipods AND it provides power through the same cable/plug that connects to the back of your head unit.

So no funky connections to other electrical circuits or hooking it up to the Cigarette lighter or any other BS.

Remove the head unit and the passenger side console panel.
Unhook the blue and green plug from the back of the radio.
Thread the single cable through the back of the console and plug it into the back of the head unit (blue plug only).

Power up, follow the intructions to switch to AUX and plug in your Ipod.

Ta-daa!

I cannot be the only user who has been frustrated about the lack of an easy Ipod interface in these cars.

The cable comes with radio removal keys and clear instructions on how to install.

It took me 30 minutes and I now have clear Ipod sound without interference or noise AND the ipod also charges.

I hope this is of use to you, because I've been looking for this for a very long time.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-13-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: embedded link to commercial non sponsor
Old 12-13-2009, 01:08 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
Qualifier:

I have the Ipod classic 160 GB and it works fine with play and charge through the dock interface at the bottom.

All older Ipods will work in the same way.

Ipod Nano 4th generation will charge and play with the use of a special adapter.

Ipod Touch and Iphone will charge but not play through the dock interface.
They will play but not charge through the earphone jack.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:13 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Aw man, so close! I want to charge and play my 3GS iPhone. Does sound easy to hook up - there's hope!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:32 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I made a custom cable for my Audi/VW Phatnoise and it

works great mounted in the factory CD changer location. I did see this as an option when I researched but decided to make the custom cable since I already owned the Phatnoise. Would be cool if I could utilize both (Phatnoise and the iPone 3gs) and change between sources, via some kind of switch.

I will likely just hardwire a charging cable for the iPhone.

Glad this is working well for you.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
PV: I followed up on your discussion and contacted Jeremy at iWireP...and bought that cable connector. It comes complete with the radio removal tools from Porsche and a great set of instructions....thanx for the heads-up. A positive rep for you for a great find. Now I have my favorite iPod music AND it charges the iPod at the same time....happy as a clam at high tide.

Chuck

Old 12-25-2009, 12:03 AM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
I'm assuming you work the music select through the ipod itself, right? Or does it actually select through the radio?

Old 12-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Yes...you have to use the iPod internal controls to get to the artist/song/album first, then the car stereo handles the audio controls for volume, bass, treble etc. Consider the iPod as a dumb terminal.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 12-25-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
Wish somebody made a cable that charged and played music with the iPhone 3GS without an extra adapter...

Old 12-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Guys,

FYI I bought a Dension brand Ipod connector off ebay last year. The product is discontinued, but you may find one if you look around. It's basically cable that connects an IPOD to the CD Changer plug in the back of the CDR220.

You can play playlists 1-5 and move up/down one song at a time. All the controls work through the stck headunit. IE The 7th song in playlist #3 shows up as CD 3, song 7.

You don't see the artist / title. Just the CD (playlist) # and song Number. It also charges the IPOD. It sounds a bit more advanced than what you are describing since it has controls built in to the stock radio/cd player.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:49 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Ari, This is exactly what I'm looking for...

Mike

Old 12-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Chuck,
I'm glad you found my little find useful.
I have been enjoying my ipod every day now (I live in an area that brutally exposes the crappy reception of the Porsche Radio).

I heard about the discontinued Dension product but never saw it. To be honest, it is just as easy to manipulate the Ipod controls as it is to navigate the radio interface.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:15 AM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pvanosta
First of all: I have no affiliation with the vendor in any way. I'm just a happy customer.

Secondly: I am as non-technical as it gets when it comes to cars (I know the theory but I never ever work on my cars) and I was able to make this work perfectly in 30 minutes.

Thirdly: this works for pre-MOST porsches with the Becker CR/CDR-220 head units

The product;
iWireP-220-iPod: iPod Connector Cable
for Porsche Boxster (986) & Carrera (996)
with factory CR/CDR-220 head units

I found a reference in one single post on this forum and looked these guys up. They can be found at

iwirep.com

The difference between this cable and some of the other cables being offered, is that this works with all Ipods AND it provides power through the same cable/plug that connects to the back of your head unit.

So no funky connections to other electrical circuits or hooking it up to the Cigarette lighter or any other BS.

Remove the head unit and the passenger side console panel.
Unhook the blue and green plug from the back of the radio.
Thread the single cable through the back of the console and plug it into the back of the head unit (blue plug only).

Power up, follow the intructions to switch to AUX and plug in your Ipod.

Ta-daa!

I cannot be the only user who has been frustrated about the lack of an easy Ipod interface in these cars.

The cable comes with radio removal keys and clear instructions on how to install.

It took me 30 minutes and I now have clear Ipod sound without interference or noise AND the ipod also charges.

I hope this is of use to you, because I've been looking for this for a very long time.
I tried to contact iWireP a few times several months ago regarding this product and heard nothing back. Were you able to talk to a rep or did you order it directly off the site?

Old 12-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I just ordered it off the site.
For $49 I didn't think I wsas taking much of a risk.

The package arrived within the week and 30 minutes later I was listening to my ipod in the car.

I followed up with them via email after I placed the order, to make sure they got it and were shipping the item and got a response within 24 hours or so.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:23 AM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Would it work with a Nav optioned 996 ?
If not, what would it take to work the iPod with a Nav. system ?
I already got the Kenwood Excelon DNX9140, but I just need the iPod adaptor really.
Don't really wanna touch the panel.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Rock,
Your Kenwood uses a dedicated USB-to-Ipod cable:

Kenwood Multimedia receivers connect seamlessly with most iPods and the new iPhone 3G featuring audio video playback via a KCA-iP301V iPod Audio Video USB Direct Cable. Features include:•Alphabet Search•Supports Album Art•Supports Audio & Video Content Including Content Purchased From iTunes With DRM•Supports Up To 12Mbps transfer speeds•Powers and Charges Compatible iPhone/iPods•Compatible models include:•iPhone 3G•Touch•iPod Classic•iPod Video (5th/6th Gen)•iPod Nano (1st/2nd/3rd Gen)•Must update iPhone/iPod using iTunes for the latest Apple firmware

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Found a great Ipod solution for pre-MOST