996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blow off valve: It seems to me the more i read look and search some of you guys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 AM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Blow off valve: It seems to me the more i read look and search some of you guys

Run BOV"S. Well i think they are fine, How ever where i am from (the audi community) they are looked at like the black plague. So what do you guys think? At this point i am just gathering idea's as to what i would like to do to my car (when i get it haha). I was looking at the Boostlogic intercoolers and there Y pipe with 2 tial bov's, provided i have the turbo's and tune and clutch for that matter i think at this point i am interested...What do you guys think? -Rob

Old 12-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
BOV's sound awesome and add power. How is that a plague?

Old 12-15-2009, 11:34 AM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Vent to atmosphere makes most bosch me7 cars run rich and want to stall out when slowing down to a stop.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
The only time you see BOV's on these cars is when you are running a Protomotive Ford MAF setup, EVOMS GTXXXX Kit, Boost Logic Race Kit, etc.. The first 2 run a factory me7, and do not have any MAJOR issues like that. The tuners have built the tables in the DME around it to correct for it all. My Boost Logic Kit had a one-off tune by Tony @ EPL that let us run without a MAF where I did not need to worry about recirculating the air. This was just replaced about two weeks ago with Tuning Concepts/Boost Logic's standalone, only because once I build the motor I want to be able to do the tuning on the fly if I have to.

Now if you do not have one of the 4 options your car will run like ***, just as every me7 car owner has found out when they replace their recirculating valves with BOVs.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Powell
The only time you see BOV's on these cars is when you are running a Protomotive Ford MAF setup, EVOMS GTXXXX Kit, Boost Logic Race Kit, etc.. The first 2 run a factory me7, and do not have any MAJOR issues like that. The tuners have built the tables in the DME around it to correct for it all. My Boost Logic Kit had a one-off tune by Tony @ EPL that let us run without a MAF where I did not need to worry about recirculating the air. This was just replaced about two weeks ago with Tuning Concepts/Boost Logic's standalone, only because once I build the motor I want to be able to do the tuning on the fly if I have to.

Now if you do not have one of the 4 options your car will run like ***, just as every me7 car owner has found out when they replace their recirculating valves with BOVs.
esentially what i said...

Old 12-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
Wasn't disagreeing with ya Some people on this forum have to hear it more than once for it to actually set in. LOL!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
Really? You claim that BOV's are a "black plaque." Chris said you have to be set up and tuned for them. Totally different statements my friend

Old 12-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Wasn't disagreeing with ya Some people on this forum have to hear it more than once for it to actually set in. LOL!
I know. i never said that you were

Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Honestly I don't get where you think many people run BOV. Most of us run OEM style DVs that vent right back into the intake. The only cars I've seen venting to atmo are the ones with a blow thru MAF like Chris mentioned and that is by FAR not the lion's share here.

The BL intercoolers are indeed attractive - especially since they can retain OEM ducting for several sizes. <shrug> But if you go blow thru you'll be venting to atmo almost certainly.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !

+1 and the Evoms setup

Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Question

Originally Posted by joetwint
+1 and the Evoms setup
I think I like the way they ran further back along the back for a smooth transition into the Y vs say how BL did it in the last pic I saw. They faced the BOV towards the back and pushed the tubing forward I think - sharper transition into the Y which I think would flow worse <shrug> The question of how much air you'd have to move for this to make a measurable difference is a good one though Joe how big around is that pipe and is that a "standard" pipe or upsized for you?

Old 12-15-2009, 11:50 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I have a agency power blow off valve in two 996 turbos I have owned over the years, running 50/50 atmosphere/recycled both were and still are bone stock and have zero issues with it. That being said the only minor hassle was tweaking the spring tension so it releases at the right pressure but worth it for that "pop off" sound.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:33 AM
U74sry is infamous around these parts
How loud is the "pop off" sound?? Is it noticable??

Old 12-17-2009, 12:59 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
running a stock exhaust without the radio blasting it is easily audible from inside the car and even more from the outside. I love hearing it.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
BOV's sound awesome and add power. How is that a plague?
How do they "add power"?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blow off valve: It seems to me the more i read look and search some of you guys