996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those that have done the K24/18G upgrade.. Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
These turbos will fry your stock clutch even with stock injectors and only a 5bar FPR...tune them at 1,2 and feel the slip...

Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
These turbos will fry your stock clutch even with stock injectors and only a 5bar FPR...tune them at 1,2 and feel the slip...
I'll have to keep the boost at 1.1 bar or less because of our CRAP California 91 octane Gas anyway... As long as I can get 6 months out of my clutch, then I can do an upgraded clutch for next summer..

You guys are SERIOUSLY a bad influence... My wallet is crying already...

Last edited by 80shilling; 12-15-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
i could be wrong, but i think you will smoke your clutch even at 1.1 bar.
adding meth injection will help you overcome the problem with low octane gas.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 PM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
keep in mind that most of the guys on this forum are not exactly sane, so asking us for any type of advice can be a bad idea...

Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911stripper
keep in mind that most of the guys on this forum are not exactly sane, so asking us for any type of advice can be a bad idea...
Yeah... I have begun to notice this...

Bear in mind that the way I budget these upgrades is that I ALWAYS pay in cash (not literally with wads of notes... but you get the idea).. No credit can be used.. I have to cashflow this out of my monthly budget.. no putting this on credit cards and then paying for it over a few months or years... If I can't pay for it out of my budget, I don't buy it until I have saved enough to buy it.

Last edited by 80shilling; 12-15-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
80shilling,

I currently use the EPL tune with my K24/18G's and the car runs fantastic. No driveability problems at all and the mid-part throttle response exceptional. I think you would be very happy with it. My car is a daily driver with 103,000 miles on it and I am picky about the tune. I would not hesitate to use the EPL tune.

1. Whose tune did you use? EPL
2. How is the driveability.. any daily driver issues/problems, lurching etc? Perfect, no problems
3. What hardware did you also have to compliment the upgrade? (what exhaust, 5 bar FPR or not, Air filter brand, plugs etc.) Denso plugs, EVO intake tubes, B6 IC's, SpeedTech 75mm Y-pipe and intake kit with 75mm throttle body and IPD plenum, dual Bosch 044 fuel pumps, 60 Lb. sieman injectors w/ OEM FPR, ported OEM headers, ported K24/18G turbos, SpeedTech 2.5 X-cellerator cross-flow exhaust w/ 100 cell cats.
4. If you had issues, what were they and how quickly did your tuner resolve them? No issues with EPL
5. If you had to do it again, would you, or would you go a different route? I am very pleased with this platform
6. Did you go directly to Blouch or similar for your Turbos, or did you buy them from your tuner... Why? I went through my tuner. I was unaware of Blouch at the time, but would not hesitate to use them now...
7. If you bought them from Blouch or similar, did you do the ported turbine housing upgrade for $95.00 per turbo? Yes
8. I want to buy the Europipe, but I'm having a hard time justifying the ridiculous cost ($5,800)... Which free flowing, yet Laguna Seca compatible (98 db) exhaust is going to sound good, yet not cost more than $3500 or thereabouts? Not positive about the decibel limit, but the Speedtech 2.5 "quiet" cross-flow is pretty quiet
9. Did you do the 1 bar actuator upgrade? If not, why not? Yes, it was highly recommended

As for your exhaust requirement, our 2.5 cross-flow is very quiet for an aftermarket exhaust - that was the design parameter for this model and it certainly met our goals. It has 100 cell cats for quick turbo spool and a straight-thru X-flow design, which sounds the best IMO. Our 3" cross-flow is much louder and aggressive sounding, most likely out of the question for your track. It is available with mirror polished tips, either a large single tip or twin tips. We are running a holiday special right now. Please email me for more information if you have any additional questions. In short, our 2.5 X-cellerator cross-flow is a great sounding system, yet not very loud. Some pictures below...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 12-15-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:29 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
+1^^^ Basically what John said. I have had the 18G's for a year and a half or so and my cars runs and drives perfect at the 575-600whp level. I don't think you would regret the 18G's, but regardless of which turbo you went with, you can pretty much count on a new clutch as your TQ will increased considerably. It sounds like you want to track a little, so I highly recommend an EPL tune and AMS's billet K16's. Pretty much the same power as 18G's and quicker spool for the road racing.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:47 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Yeah... I have begun to notice this...

Bear in mind that the way I budget these upgrades is that I ALWAYS pay in cash (not literally with wads of notes... but you get the idea).. No credit can be used.. I have to cashflow this out of my monthly budget.. no putting this on credit cards and then paying for it over a few months or years... If I can't pay for it out of my budget, I don't buy it until I have saved enough to buy it.

Cash,do people still accept that? Just j/k I like to use Amex & get free airline tickets. I just pay it off every month. I also agree with the same train of thought, only buy what you can pay for in cash. Though I will use credit if I can make a higher return on the cash in the market or private equity arena.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks so much for a massively comprehensive answer John...

Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
80shilling,

I currently use the EPL tune with my K24/18G's and the car runs fantastic. No driveability problems at all and the mid-part throttle response exceptional. I think you would be very happy with it. My car is a daily driver with 103,000 miles on it and I am picky about the tune. I would not hesitate to use the EPL tune.

As for your exhaust requirement, our 2.5 cross-flow is very quiet for an aftermarket exhaust - that was the design parameter for this model and it certainly met our goals. It has 100 cell cats for quick turbo spool and a straight-thru X-flow design, which sounds the best IMO. Our 3" cross-flow is much louder and aggressive sounding, most likely out of the question for your track. It is available with mirror polished tips, either a large single tip or twin tips. We are running a holiday special right now. Please email me for more information if you have any additional questions. In short, our 2.5 X-cellerator cross-flow is a great sounding system, yet not very loud. Some pictures below...

Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
John, do you have any Db readings on that exhaust? I suspect others would be interested too if it flows well and isn't so noisy... Surely this track has some sort of set way to test that's published - or lots of ticked off racers!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I don't, but it's pretty quiet compared to all other exhausts that I have used or driven with - it's a very cabin comfortable system. I have owned and experienced a number of exhausts and our 2.5 version is by far my favorite and the only one I have not grown tired of after extensive use. Our 3.0 was a little too much for me - it sounds fantastic, but for a daily driver, it was a bit over my threshold. Some like it that way, very aggressive, but I don't, which is why I designed this system and also why we offer both quiet and loud versions.

I thought of looking into a db meter, but how do you test it for a meaningful comparison to anything else? There are so many variables, RPM, Gear, background (solid concrete wall, wooded backdrop, open field), distance from tips, etc...so what would a number really mean? I suppose you could do an interior measurement, but that does not address a track requirement. Maybe there is a standard db track test, but I am not aware of one.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 12-15-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:51 PM
At Laguna it's always in the same place, between turn 5 and turn 6 going up the hill at WOT in 3rd, changing to 4th if you have a powerful enough Car. John is right though, because some Cars will fail in the morning when it's cold, then pass in the afternoon when it heats up.. Difficult even in that case to get a meaningful reading because as conditions chage, so does the result.

Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
I don't, but it's pretty quiet compared to all other exhausts that I have used or driven with - it's a very cabin comfortable system. I have owned and experienced a number of exhausts and our 2.5 version is by far my favorite and the only one I have not grown tired of after extensive use. Our 3.0 was a little too much for me - it sounds fantastic, but for a daily driver, it was a bit over my threshold. Some like it that way, very aggressive, but I don't, which is why I designed this system and also why we offer both quiet and loud versions.

I thought of looking into a db meter, but how do you test it for a meaningful comparison to anything else? There are so many variables, RPM, Gear, background (solid concrete wall, wooded backdrop, open field), distance from tips, etc...so what would a number really mean? I suppose you could do an interior measurement, but that does not address a track requirement. Maybe there is a standard db track test, but I am not aware of one.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:53 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I know that a lot of people know where the db meter is at LS, so when they go past it they get off of the throttle and drive on the inside of the track (I believe it's on the outside of the track) to put as much distance between the vehicle and the meter as possible. I know many people have been able to run there with "illegal" exhausts using those methods, but that will take a few 10th's off of your times, worth it to most who are just enjoying some track days.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I've had to play that game, but it's just a pain in the buttocks to have to lift every time and eventually you need to pass someone going up the hill and you get nabbed.. I'd rather have a compliant system and not have to worry.

People also will weld tips that point away from the sound meters, put restrictors in etc...

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I know that a lot of people know where the db meter is at LS, so when they go past it they get off of the throttle and drive on the inside of the track (I believe it's on the outside of the track) to put as much distance between the vehicle and the meter as possible. I know many people have been able to run there with "illegal" exhausts using those methods, but that will take a few 10th's off of your times, worth it to most who are just enjoying some track days.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
I'll have to keep the boost at 1.1 bar or less because of our CRAP California 91 octane Gas anyway... As long as I can get 6 months out of my clutch, then I can do an upgraded clutch for next summer..

You guys are SERIOUSLY a bad influence... My wallet is crying already...
Tony@EPL has a safe tune for 91 craptane that hits 1.2-1.3 bar, and then with meth up to 1.4bar.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those that have done the K24/18G upgrade.. Questions