996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those that have done the K24/18G upgrade.. Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:56 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
WOT noise restriction ouch

im very familar with noise resriction in the Atv world at the dunes some places are 93db and some are 97db but thats a 300rpm or so just 1/4 throttle like 16" back and at a 45* angle had to spend about 500$ for an exhaust on my big bore stroker bike(2stroke) to get it to pass so i don get a 380$ ticket and the camps next to me i watch them pull the packing out of their silencers for the hell f it n ride around straight piped *shakes head*

Any info on Db level that is tolerant?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
+1^^^ Basically what John said. I have had the 18G's for a year and a half or so and my cars runs and drives perfect at the 575-600whp level. I don't think you would regret the 18G's, but regardless of which turbo you went with, you can pretty much count on a new clutch as your TQ will increased considerably. It sounds like you want to track a little, so I highly recommend an EPL tune and AMS's billet K16's. Pretty much the same power as 18G's and quicker spool for the road racing.
There is no way that billet k16 can produce same hp (at same boost)with 18gs...

Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
WOT noise restriction ouch

im very familar with noise resriction in the Atv world at the dunes some places are 93db and some are 97db but thats a 300rpm or so just 1/4 throttle like 16" back and at a 45* angle had to spend about 500$ for an exhaust on my big bore stroker bike(2stroke) to get it to pass so i don get a 380$ ticket and the camps next to me i watch them pull the packing out of their silencers for the hell f it n ride around straight piped *shakes head*

Any info on Db level that is tolerant?
At the moment, Laguna has a 90 db restriction... That's just ridiculous.. Admittedly, they are measuring from about 100 feet away, but still..

Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447

see thats the thing here he does't need topend power he needs fast spooling smooth power

the 18g upgrade makes sense because he starts with k24s

car with less power but flat torque curves n smooth power curves will be faster ona track and more stable in the corners peaky power can upset the balance mid corner at 100+ pretty easy even if you have some bad *** suspension like the OP has

Last edited by OS Inspector; 12-16-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
At the moment, Laguna has a 90 db restriction... That's just ridiculous.. Admittedly, they are measuring from about 100 feet away, but still..

rediculous it is but you can do it just gonna be a heavier exhaust with more restriction.

what i would recommend is stay with a BMC/K&n stock style filter stock style airbox maybe even one of those dual snorkle setups i seen recently.
5Bar FPR is plenty of fuel, Proto, UMW, EPL great choices

you will blow through a clutch if you bump the boost up ona larger set of turbos pretty easily, even stock turbos witha flash n exhaust people are slipping. Do upgrade the wastegates, teres more then one car floating around that has rebuilt motors cause of ****ty wastegates failing.

and whoever your tuner is discuss Timing and not running alot of it to make your motor last longer.

Last edited by OS Inspector; 12-16-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:31 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
I never said that they made the same power at the same boost. They have however, put down the same or similar performance numbers as an 18g equipped car, and that is still impressive. The OP is looking for a quick spooling turbo. I thing the 18g is an awesome and proven turbo and exactly what he needs, but this new Billet K16 is still a pretty impressive alternative, if he is looking for explosive "out of the corner" power for the track.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Lots of great feedback from you all.. Thanks guys..

Here's what I think I will end up with:

Tune (to be determined still)
Exhaust (not sure yet)
Billet DV's
K24/18G's with 1 bar actuator wastegate upgrade and ported hot side
BMC panel filter
Dual snorkle intake setup from Vivid (already put my deposit down)
ported stock headers
5 Bar FPR.

I'm still talking to my shortlist of Tuners to see who can give me:
switchable maps for 91 octane and 100 octane (maybe auto switching/sensing)
left foot braking (brake boosting)
ability to go quickly back to stock if necessary
HAS to pass California emissions
Good power and torque increase without being near the edge (no blown engines thank you).

Thanks again for all the valuable feedback.. Great Forum this is...

Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 AM
might think about some ceramic coating since seems you'll spend alot of time on the track

Old 12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
might think about some ceramic coating since seems you'll spend alot of time on the track
On my 550 HP 944 Turbo, I had the entire system from headers, downpipe and entire system to the muffler (but not the muffler itself) Jet Hot coated with their 2,000 degree coating.. One of the benefits of the coating that I found out later was that it quietened the system down (less resonance) and I never had noise problems at Laguna.. Maybe that's the answer !!! buy a 3" system and have my headers etc coated and see if it helps with the noise..

Thanks for jogging my memory on this one..

Old 12-16-2009, 11:07 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Hang on there Jack Russell.....isn't this all really a moot point....if you really must pass the db issue, and a stock gt3 and z06 fail, you are not going to find any aftermarket exhaust for your car that will pass.

If that is true, I'd rethink my goals, as the car simply will not perform close to potential without a free flowing [read LOUD] exhaust.....

Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
I'm going to be moving up to the 18g myself real soon, so this thread was very informative. Keep us posted on what you decide. Any need to upgrade the MAF or injectors with the K24/18g setup (I have stock injectors, airbox with K&N, and 5 bar FPR)?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Valley996TT
I'm going to be moving up to the 18g myself real soon, so this thread was very informative. Keep us posted on what you decide. Any need to upgrade the MAF or injectors with the K24/18g setup (I have stock injectors, airbox with K&N, and 5 bar FPR)?
You can get away with JUST a 5bar, but will be limited in power. Injectors will give you some more "room" to grow. I have 18g's, Injectors, stock airbox, stock MAF, stock air filter and stock piping and intercoolers and my car rips. Sounds like all you need now is the turbos?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:32 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I spoke with some tuners recently and without injectors I think you'll be limited to 500-550rwhp at the most. Any other opinions?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Lots of great feedback from you all.. Thanks guys..

Here's what I think I will end up with:

Tune (to be determined still)
Exhaust (not sure yet)
Billet DV's
K24/18G's with 1 bar actuator wastegate upgrade and ported hot side
BMC panel filter
Dual snorkle intake setup from Vivid (already put my deposit down)
ported stock headers
5 Bar FPR.

I'm still talking to my shortlist of Tuners to see who can give me:
switchable maps for 91 octane and 100 octane (maybe auto switching/sensing)
left foot braking (brake boosting)
ability to go quickly back to stock if necessary
HAS to pass California emissions
Good power and torque increase without being near the edge (no blown engines thank you).

Thanks again for all the valuable feedback.. Great Forum this is...
This set up will work VERY well for you purposes (mostly track I assume, based on on conversation a while back).

Be careful with "self adjusting tunes". Most are running timing too aggressive for track use and letting the knock sensor sort things out. This doesn't mean a car wont respond well to higher octane... It just means you shouldn't rely on the knock sensor to know what octane is in the tank.

On my 550 HP 944 Turbo, I had the entire system from headers, downpipe and entire system to the muffler (but not the muffler itself) Jet Hot coated with their 2,000 degree coating.. One of the benefits of the coating that I found out later was that it quietened the system down (less resonance) and I never had noise problems at Laguna.. Maybe that's the answer !!! buy a 3" system and have my headers etc coated and see if it helps with the noise..

Thanks for jogging my memory on this one..
On the 996tt, if you are running the stock exhaust manifolds... the only thing that really needs coated are the exhaust housings. The factory exhaust manifolds are a dual wall design and retain heat inside themselves very well.

Good Luck!

Old 12-16-2009, 01:17 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
You can get away with JUST a 5bar, but will be limited in power. Injectors will give you some more "room" to grow. I have 18g's, Injectors, stock airbox, stock MAF, stock air filter and stock piping and intercoolers and my car rips. Sounds like all you need now is the turbos?
i was not aware you still have stock ics...your tune should be 2nd to none...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those that have done the K24/18G upgrade.. Questions