996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those that have done the K24/18G upgrade.. Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:40 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Those that have done the K24/18G upgrade.. Questions

So.. I have decided to do the K24/18G upgrade to my 2003 GT2.. What I am looking for is some feedback from those that have done this upgrade and have some miles under their belts.

1. Whose tune did you use?
2. How is the driveability.. any daily driver issues/problems, lurching etc?
3. What hardware did you also have to compliment the upgrade? (what exhaust, 5 bar FPR or not, Air filter brand, plugs etc.)
4. If you had issues, what were they and how quickly did your tuner resolve them?
5. If you had to do it again, would you, or would you go a different route?
6. Did you go directly to Blouch or similar for your Turbos, or did you buy them from your tuner... Why?
7. If you bought them from Blouch or similar, did you do the ported turbine housing upgrade for $95.00 per turbo?
8. I want to buy the Europipe, but I'm having a hard time justifying the ridiculous cost ($5,800)... Which free flowing, yet Laguna Seca compatible (98 db) exhaust is going to sound good, yet not cost more than $3500 or thereabouts?
9. Did you do the 1 bar actuator upgrade? If not, why not?

Any and all comments welcome, as I have to pull the trigger fairly soon.

So far, I'm contemplating: Protomotive, Tony @ EPL, Switzer and Kevin at UMW. Markski is also on my list.

Thanks in advance...

Old 12-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
HI,

You do not need the porting... do a 1 bar Wg along with greddy EBC if you can put 100 or 104 at the pimp to take advantage of the extra HP... 5 bar, filter and Dvs.. but most importantly the exhaust... you need 100 cell cats and a free flowing set up.
We offer custom tuning as well via datalog...
I suggest one of our custom hand built per order systems... they are proven on 1100 rwhp 996tts... so they flow. all 3 inch thru out... hand built with all stainless steel and even hand polished. It is priced accordingly... Pm if interested...
good luck...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
i have some k24/20g w/1bar actuator for sale and evoms clubsport intercoolers which will definatly help the flow of the upgarded turbos whether you decide on 18g or my 20g,60lb injectors are highly recommended i have them for $200.The 20g's do pull harder than the 18g, pm me if your interested. Thanks

Last edited by bimmer81; 12-15-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:19 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Do as Marek said. I'm pretty sure you will be tracking the car regularly. get the standard 24/18g upgrades, filter, DV's and 5 bar FPR. You'll be very very happy with the improvements.

Marek's exhaust is incredible as well. It sounds nuts.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:23 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmoores
Do as Marek said. I'm pretty sure you will be tracking the car regularly. get the standard 24/18g upgrades, filter, DV's and 5 bar FPR. You'll be very very happy with the improvements.

Marek's exhaust is incredible as well. It sounds nuts.
Problem on the exhaust side is too much noise... Laguna Seca has BRUTAL db restrictions.. My ZO6 wouldn't pass with the STOCK exhaust...

I'm really looking for the most complete solution where it's proven, I can get support if it's not right and the components are good, but not stupid expensive (like the Europipe).

Mainly, I'm wanting feedback from those the have had the setup for a decent amount of time, drive it regularly and have some track days under their belts... I want to get the best setup for my $$$ without going too cheap.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by bimmer81
i have some k24/20g w/1bar actuator for sale and evoms clubsport intercoolers which will definatly help the flow of the upgarded turbos whether you decide on 18g or my 20g,60lb injectors are highly recommended i have them for $200.The 20g's do pull harder than the 18g, pm me if your interested. Thanks
If I'm not mistaken, the 20G's don't come on quite soon enough for track work.. I regularly drive Sears Point/Infineon, Laguna Seca and Thunderhill, so need boost down low to get out of the slower corners...

I'll keep you in mind though if the 20G's make sense...

Old 12-15-2009, 03:27 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Problem on the exhaust side is too much noise... Laguna Seca has BRUTAL db restrictions.. My ZO6 wouldn't pass with the STOCK exhaust...

I'm really looking for the most complete solution where it's proven, I can get support if it's not right and the components are good, but not stupid expensive (like the Europipe).

Mainly, I'm wanting feedback from those the have had the setup for a decent amount of time, drive it regularly and have some track days under their belts... I want to get the best setup for my $$$ without going too cheap.
I daily drove mine with the Proto software driveability is flawless. I have the Fabspeed Maxflo currently and it sounds great. I highly doubt it would be too loud for LS. If you haven't called Todd Knighton yet you should. He is one of the most knowledgeable Porsche Tuners in the world and a pretty funny guy. He has prepared a car for just about every possible configuration you could think of ..... mild or wild.

I'd also like to mention that while I don't have EPL on my car i've spent extensive time talking to Tony and I have no doubt you'd be happy with his services. He is extremely knowledgable when it comes to the computers in these cars and could tailor a tune to your liking (i.e. road course).

Last edited by bmoores; 12-15-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by bmoores
I daily drove mine with the Proto software driveability is flawless. I have the Fabspeed Maxflo currently and it sounds great. I highly doubt it would be too loud for LS. If you haven't called Todd Knighton yet you should. He is one of the most knowledgeable Porsche Tuners in the world and a pretty funny guy. He has prepared a car for just about every possible configuration you could think of ..... mild or wild.
Thanks for the input... I have talked to Todd and I am kinda leaning towards his tuning package...

Old 12-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Thanks for the input... I have talked to Todd and I am kinda leaning towards his tuning package...
One more thing to consider. If you did go to the 20's the cost to upgrade is fairly significant. At that point you start getting into replacing injectors, adding fuel pumps, new ICs and Intake and then before you know it your wife is asking for a divorce. There is nearly a 10K difference between the hardware required for 20g's and 18g's

Old 12-15-2009, 03:35 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
No kidding on laguna Seca and noise. A bone stock gt3 fails

Old 12-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
No kidding on laguna Seca and noise. A bone stock gt3 fails
That is a little extreme. Guess alot of your GT3 customers dont drive Laguna very often huh Alex?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
HI,

You do not need the porting... do a 1 bar Wg along with greddy EBC if you can put 100 or 104 at the pimp to take advantage of the extra HP... 5 bar, filter and Dvs.. but most importantly the exhaust... you need 100 cell cats and a free flowing set up.
We offer custom tuning as well via datalog...
I suggest one of our custom hand built per order systems... they are proven on 1100 rwhp 996tts... so they flow. all 3 inch thru out... hand built with all stainless steel and even hand polished. It is priced accordingly... Pm if interested...
good luck...
markski

This exhaust looks better than my silverware. If it was more portable I'd buy it to sip soda out of it.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:52 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
The exhaust Markski shows us is simply state of the art...However noise rules are noise rules and so get a Remus exhaust that has 100cel cats and a little noise...i own k24/18g with 60lb injectors for 18months and i am very happy with my setup...I usually have Greddy off where boost is 0,8 and the car is 1-2 car lenghts in front of stock 997tt manual...at low boost (1,2) the car is very very fast and at high (1,35) it has 60-130 at low 6s...these turbos are the best for all around use...

Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
Tony from EPL did everything to my car and it is a totally functional daily driver and a nasty beast when you want it to be. im making 570awhp and i still get 22mpg. i doubt that any other car can give you this type of performance and drivability. you will be very happy with 18g's
be prepared to buy a heavy clutch...

Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
For just now, I want to stay away from having to do injectors or a clutch.. Those can come later if I decide I want more power...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those that have done the K24/18G upgrade.. Questions