996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Passing state inspection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
EL GT2 is a jewel in the roughEL GT2 is a jewel in the roughEL GT2 is a jewel in the roughEL GT2 is a jewel in the rough
Passing state inspection?

I had my CEL on and left it like that for a while. A few weeks ago, I used my OBDII scanner, read the codes, and cleared them. Immediately I went to state inspection, not realizing it would reset everything so their reader said my Catalytic Converters, Secondary Air Injection system, and Evaporative System were "Not Ready." I failed for overall readiness.

My problem is now with the frigid weather in NJ, I can't drive my car more than 70 miles and then my CEL goes on again. If I take the car as is, will I pass inspection since they already took readings on the other stuff, and I just need readings for the 3 items above? My car passed inspection 2 years ago, but then again I didn't reset my OBD just before going to inspection. It wouldn't be such a pain but with the weather not on my side and time, I don't know. Anyone who could shed some light on this would be a tremendous help. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure I follow your question exactly? In any state that requires an OBD II plug in, it doesn't matter why you may have failed previously, all systems need to be ready and without faults to pass at the time of the test.

I ran into a particularly interesting situation where an automatic to manual conversion car had fault codes related to the (automatic) transmission in memory and they would not allow it to pass, even though those codes had absolutely nothing to do with emissions or anything else...

Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Wait, you're not looking to fix it- just want to clear the light and get it inspected then run around with the CEL on for another two years???!?!?

Other than that being the antithesis of my personal ideas of treating a fine sports car.... you will need to drive it enough to get the OBD readiness codes..if, during that driving a code comes up, you will -of course- fail.

This is THE PRECISE REASON they added the readiness code: people would reset in the parking lot and pass.

They will, if they are doing it right, require a complete new inspection.

Why not simply post up your codes, trouble shoot it, fix it and be done with it?

A

Old 12-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Why is the CEL coming on to begin with. I agree with others in the notion that your car should not be popping a CEL unless it's cat efficiency or something like that.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:03 AM
EL GT2 is a jewel in the roughEL GT2 is a jewel in the roughEL GT2 is a jewel in the roughEL GT2 is a jewel in the rough
Passing inspection

Originally Posted by ari
Why is the CEL coming on to begin with. I agree with others in the notion that your car should not be popping a CEL unless it's cat efficiency or something like that.
Yes, it's cat efficiency and the uneven idle - no biggies as I have the EVOMS GT700 kit. The tune is set up for track use, as the car has about 3,000 track miles in the last 2 1/2 years. It's just to get it to pass - I'm just going to reset it, drive it around, stop, drive it around, and let the computer go through a few cycles and take it to inspection - they're forecasting potentially a foot of snow by Saturday night into Sunday.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
I think you're gonna need to fix what ever the problem is- air injection pump, change over valve or cats before you can reasonably expect to pass smog.....just my 2 cents..

Old 12-20-2009, 01:53 PM
While I don't agree with just trying to get it to pass inspection without fixing whatever the problem is, I can sympathize, particularly on a car with an intermittent issue that doesn't get driven primarily on the street...

Nevertheless, as others have alluded to above, the readiness thing is there to precisely stop a car like the one you're dealing with from passing. Are you going to share the codes?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:36 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Uneven idle should not be prob. Fix the cat and you're good to go.
Originally Posted by EL GT2
Yes, it's cat efficiency and the uneven idle - no biggies as I have the EVOMS GT700 kit. The tune is set up for track use, as the car has about 3,000 track miles in the last 2 1/2 years. It's just to get it to pass - I'm just going to reset it, drive it around, stop, drive it around, and let the computer go through a few cycles and take it to inspection - they're forecasting potentially a foot of snow by Saturday night into Sunday.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Do they probe test for emission gas in NJ? (In CA, they do off dyno test for 4wd but check for emission gass around certain rpm with car standing still. ) If yes, you may also have problem if your cat is very bad.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
or you could find a sticker somewhere...

Old 12-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I don't think that'd work, most states are tied into the tag/registration as well now. I'd think you'd be in some serious trouble if you were forging anything also...

Old 12-25-2009, 09:46 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
glad i live in a test it once (when you reg it the first time)county sure makes life easy ofcourse i only drive the once a week if i'm lucky.... merry christmas and to all a good nite....

hey drove thru latrobe last nite didn't see ya

Old 12-25-2009, 09:47 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
thats hey ard drove latrobe last nite didn't see ya