996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Puffs of smoke while shifting during spirited driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
Question Puffs of smoke while shifting during spirited driving

All,

Swapped cars with a buddy of mine during a recent spirited drive and noticed small puffs of smoke coming from my car's exhaust during upshifts (must have been close to redline). First time I was able to observe my own car in action and while I know it is in perfect condition wanted to run this by the experts. Is this normal ?

The car is modded (see below) and I regularly hook it up to the Durametric since I perform all my maintenance myself. Also, it has no critical overrevs nor consumes any oil.
Somebody please give me some piece of mind

Old 12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
wouldnt worry about it .

Old 12-22-2009, 06:49 AM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
What's the color? If it is black, there is nothing to worry about - just a car running rich. If it is blue, you're burning some oil, possibly in turbos. If it is white, then it could be something sinister.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
It's black.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:55 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Yves
It's black.
You're good, if it's only high RPM's...

Old 12-22-2009, 06:57 AM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Yves
It's black.
Nothing to worry then. Just some unburned carbon from running a bit rich during the upshifts. You might want to check your air/fuel mixture with durametric to make sure you're not running rich all the time.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by PeterK
Nothing to worry then. Just some unburned carbon from running a bit rich during the upshifts. You might want to check your air/fuel mixture with durametric to make sure you're not running rich all the time.
Thanks. Any link to that ? Similar to others, I have not been able to extract the maximum out of my Durametric.

I performed my bolt-on upgrades myself, but didn't really adjust anything else to the car during this process. I was under the assumption that the flash and all the other automated adjustments would have taken care of that. Car has never been at the stealership since I've owned it.
Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:41 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
you check your A/F mix by login the 02 banks that gives your lamda and you multiple the number logged by 14.7 to get the a/f mixture