996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

for those that gutted there cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
tone01 is infamous around these parts
for those that gutted there cats

was woundering when you gutted ur cats did you compeltly get out all the left over litllte bits that are left on the side. and do you think those little shards mess up the compressor wheel

Old 12-22-2009, 04:13 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tone01
was woundering when you gutted ur cats did you compeltly get out all the left over litllte bits that are left on the side. and do you think those little shards mess up the compressor wheel

??? Catalytic converter "parts" will never see ANY part of your turbo, much less the compressor. What pieces are left in there, will likely get blown or burnt out of the muffler eventually?

Old 12-22-2009, 04:15 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tone01

Catalytic converter parts in your turbo? NEVER happen.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
The cats are "downstream" of the turbos so the misc pieces of converter are blown out the exhaust.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Maybe in a rear turbo mounted kit for a Corvette or other front engined vehicle with rear mounted turbos.

Ask me how I know........

But not in the TT.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
How did material travel against the direction of exhaust flow and into the exhaust turbine?

Old 12-22-2009, 05:00 PM
tone01 is infamous around these parts
cat

thanks for the replys guys just wanted to check cuz i gutted them out but there are still some little pieces left on the side

Old 12-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Maybe in a rear turbo mounted kit for a Corvette or other front engined vehicle with rear mounted turbos.

Ask me how I know........

But not in the TT.
You mean like the STS system that leaves the stock exhaust in place all the way back to the turbos?

Old 12-22-2009, 05:14 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
You mean like the STS system that leaves the stock exhaust in place all the way back to the turbos?

Yes, the turbos were mounted after the cats (which are under the cabin) where they scavenged the exhaust air and then sent it back to the front of the car.

Here they are on a C6, the only thing post turbo is the exhaust exit. The plumbing runs from the turbos back to the front of the car through the rocker panels. Great for ease of installation, bad for lag!!!

Also bad if you have a 427 C5R block that puts out enough heat to melt the cats and send particles through your turbines which could then send them back through your engine intake.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy

Also bad if you have a 427 C5R block that puts out enough heat to melt the cats and send particles through your turbines which could then send them back through your engine intake.

Heavy,

The exhaust side and the compressor side of the turbo are two separate sections on a common shaft. There is no chance of anything that comes out of the exhaust turbine to get into the intake, unless the air filter falls off and the debris gets sucked into the compressor side of the turbo. Cats that come apart will be consumed by a rear mounted turbo and then come out of the tips.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't know what any of that means, all I know is that my cats came to pieces, and my turbos were shredded.

When I talked to STS they told it was very likely that the shredded cats caused the problem. They were very gracious in sending me several replacements under warranty. Great group of guys.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 PM
When your cats came apart they did damage the exhaust side of the turbos. The cat particles could not get into your intake.

I have had pistons melt and not hurt the turbo on their way out. When something solid goes through a turbo there is usually a big bill to follow!!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Ok, I see what you are saying now. I agree, big bills did follow, however they were motor rebuilds from a crappy tuner in houston.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I figured that you were running very lean and building lots of heat in the exhaust to melt the cats. Probably cost you a set of turbos, a set of pistons and a few valves?

Bad tunes are easy to get but good tunes are priceless!!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Actually if you really want to hurt a catalytic run rich, the catalytic will try to consume the fuel and get QUITE hit - as in cherry red glowing melting hot with smoking carpet in the cabin if you aren't careful.... Lean shouldn't hurt a catalytic too bad unless piston pieces are exiting :-O

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: for those that gutted there cats