996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

second gear pop-out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
BOOMER7 is infamous around these parts
this was mainly a flaw in the early 00 01 02TT correct?I'm looking at an 05 Turbo S and certainly don't want this to be an issue!!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:02 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Can happen to any 996 really,

Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Yup, I drove a 2003 non-X50 that had it.

If you can, I'd use it as a negotiating point on the sale price.

My mechanic has done these transmissions before- and as long as your mainshaft is still good- it won't be too expensive.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:02 PM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
Here's what a 2nd gear pop-out looks like !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_I7rjKzIjE

In my car, the problem happens frequently when the transmission is still cold but gets better and never happens when transmission/oil gearbox is hot.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
cxs0778 is infamous around these parts
If a car had this issue does it usually show up pretty early in it's age or can it show up later like around 40k or 50k miles as well?

What percentage of TT's seem to have this issue?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
This seems to be a great pointer to where the problem might lie...

http://www.gboxweb.com/996shimtip.html

Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
When I picked up my car last week, I got a lesson from my indy on what the whole 2nd gear pop out is all about...

There are two bearings that contribute to this issue. The real culprit starts at PORSCHE AG, where the transmissions were assembled. If those bearings weren't properly shimmed on install (Which requires proper alignment and clearance on the main shaft and ailigned with the shift forks properly, then the bearing will wear pematurely. My gearbox did not have this issue at all, and was pretty well used heavily at the track. However, a number of members have suffered this issue.

The bearings are not hard to replace, but while you're at it, you'll end up doing syncros or other "stuff" and have a minimum of $2K in it... While you're in there, I'd absolutely swap to the GT2 Clutch Hydraulic system and get the pentosin actuated garbage out of that driveline.

Mike

Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
First gear is a machined piece within the 996TT mainshaft. I can post a pic if you'd like to see it... There's no machining that piece off, as it must be machined... Which is why most of us upgrade to the newer shafts available, which in turn costs a bunch...

Remember, there are two parts to 1st gear... There's a "first on a rod, and a first on the mainshaft..."

My 996TT mainshaft is upstairs in my home office... I look at it often!

Mike

Originally Posted by OS Inspector
i heard eric at Gbox tell me the fix over the phone, he does some machining so that it doesn't matter if the tip of the dog gets rounded a bit it still stays intact. but these guys build racing transmissions and will make it right. the dealer most likly wont even rebuild your transmission only get you a new one if its under warranty. if not its real real expensive.

the problem is once the 2nd gear synchros are bad there is generally a bit more damage and to replace it involves pressing first gear off the mainshaft to replace its synchro and adds up to 4600 fast ona bone stock car and transmission with 60k on it.

Last edited by Mikelly; 02-11-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
I've recently been told by someone very knowledgeable that the GT2s never had steel synchros. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT2996TT
I've recently been told by someone very knowledgeable that the GT2s never had steel synchros. Can anyone confirm this?
In the PET both G96/50 & G96/88 have the same part#'s for synchros.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Not only was I told that, I saw a GT2 box open on the bench at the shop, and it had brass syncros that were being upgraded.

I don't think any of the 996TT or GT2/3 based cars came with steel syncros. Mine now has a mix... steel in 3/4 and brass in the others... 1/2 are exceptionally expensive to go steel on.

Mike

Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 AM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Not only was I told that, I saw a GT2 box open on the bench at the shop, and it had brass syncros that were being upgraded.

I don't think any of the 996TT or GT2/3 based cars came with steel syncros. Mine now has a mix... steel in 3/4 and brass in the others... 1/2 are exceptionally expensive to go steel on.

Mike
Mike, who did your transmission upgrade for you? I don't know if you can say this openly or not, if you can't, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly

Mike
Strange. Lots of conflicting information on this subject.

I just sent an email to Gbox Performance Transaxle (Porsche transmision experts http://www.gboxweb.com/ ) asking them to clarify if GT2's have steel synchros, while 996TTs have brass. Here is their copy/pasted reply.

Yes you are correct in this. The GT2 gearbox had steel synchronizers in the upper gears, while the 996TT did not.

Let me know if you need any of these, I have several hundred of these in stock.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
He also told me that the Turbo S and X50 did not have steel synchros. Only the GT2.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-12-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yes, very confusing indeed. My indy has domn a few and had for a fact seen steel synchros and in fact told me that the "fix" for mine was the GT2 steel synchros. I wonder if it is up to the factory to install whatever they have "laying around" and they are in fact not consistant?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Yes, very confusing indeed. My indy has domn a few and had for a fact seen steel synchros and in fact told me that the "fix" for mine was the GT2 steel synchros. I wonder if it is up to the factory to install whatever they have "laying around" and they are in fact not consistant?
Mike, didn't know you had the pop out issue... and did you fix it already?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: second gear pop-out