996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

IAT's: What is the Normal Range?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 AM
BlueRanger is infamous around these parts
IAT's: What is the Normal Range?

I tried to search but could not find...

Would like to know what the normal range in IAT's for a stock non-X50 flashed car.

Thank you!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:23 PM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
Here are some IAT temp in degrees celcius with German aftermarket intercoolers
With GT2 intercoolers IAT was 13 degrees celcius higher.
My car has 550hp at the cranck and 1 bar boost.
Colom B is RPM
Colom C is IAT (degrees celcius)
Colom D is outside temp.
Colom E is speed.

Next month we will do some testing with hopefully better IC's

Old 12-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Nice detail..

Any IAT's with stock I/C's.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
mine was around 18-19C on hwy (ambient just above 10C), 29C in the parking lot. full stock car

Last edited by Mad Ness; 12-27-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks Mad ness...

Come on guys.... anymore in warmer climates??

Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
mine was around 18-19C on hwy (ambient just above 10C), 29C in the parking lot. full stock car
I'm sure these are IAT without boost,on full boost they will be much higher.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:07 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dixie
I'm sure these are IAT without boost,on full boost they will be much higher.
yes just cruising on the hwy, clutch not broke in yet. engine at operating temps, after stop and go back on hwy; on avg 5C gap between IAT and ambient. will post figures using several 180-200 kph pulls when get the chance.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I have some data with EVOMS ICs. Sorry I did not pay any attention to IATs until I upgraded the ICs. My car runs 4-6 degrees C above ambient whether its hot or cold. In a max boost run it will get to about 20-22 degrees C above ambient. This is a 4th gear pull.

Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlueRanger
Thanks Mad ness...

At the Texas Mile this year in October, I was watching my IAT's to see what they were. I don't remember what the ambient temp was but it wasn't 50-60f degrees out. Mine were in the 95 (start)-105f (finish) range at the end of the mile. I do have Meth injection, but vividracingtx also did this with bigger intercoolers and piping and got roughly the same results. This is 6 gears, at 1.3bar of boost, for about 25 seconds.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 AM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Here is a log of my IATs when I installed the WI. This log was from when the car was k16s, EPL flash & stock ICs:

Old 12-29-2009, 03:33 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
A concern I've had with meth, and one I'm not sure is valid, is that the meth mixture might land on the sensor and as it evapped cause a false low reading. I'd be interested in the thoughts of others on this. When I instrumented my Supra I was also careful to use a Teflon plastic insulator so that the IAT wasn't heatsoaking from the surrounding intake material.

Anyway, nice to see folks posting up information on temps with conditions and different intercoolers! Since everyone is taking the temp the same way through the ECU it ought to be comparable....

Old 12-29-2009, 03:38 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I just took the turbo for a spin (useless!). It is 12deg out and my IAT was averaging 23-28 degrees. This was with the engine at operating temps and watching it in boost quite a few times. I still have stock intercoolers and piping, so I think with the addition of IC's and piping, my IAT's would be awesome!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlueRanger
Thanks Mad ness...

Have not collected any IATs with my 03 Turbo -- that I have handy -- but collected it for my 02 Boxster. 135F in 116F ambient temperature. Southern AZ. Summer. July.

(FWIW, coolant temperature reached 226F and stayed there. Engine compartment fan was running even at speed.)

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks Guys, I appreciate your efforts responding.

I purchased a Brockway R1000 and wanted to know what my IAT's should be at with stock I/C's.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Im using the brockway aswell. wish it had more than one custom mode screen or displayed 4 instead of 2 params at once.

did 3 pulls back to back 2nd gear thru 4th gear to 6k rpm. Ambient 17C. IAT 32C
immediately onto highway, 2 pulls, 6k on previous gears up thru 5th to 5k. IAT 29C.

BTW did you get the LED shift light as well? The wire and bulb were included but not the green connectors in the instructions. Do you know if we are supposed to source these independently? TIA