996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Race Go-carts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Banned
allanlambo is infamous around these parts
Race Go-carts

Anyone here race them? I just found here on Maui we have an awesome track, that is available to use anytime. I want to pick up a couple go carts, say 100cc Carts. Not shifter carts, but the auto ones. If we progress we will move to shifters. Any recomendations? I dont know anything about them.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
I know someone who USED to be on this board who apparently raced them. I gather he was the best EVER and would have SMOKED all you carters who use the gay tiptronics.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:23 AM
jroy is infamous around these parts
i used to do a lot of karting on long island, the track is closed now in westhampton. i would suggest a 125cc shifter and just take it easy at first. the kt100 yamaha karts you will likely grow out of very fast. and resale for karts is lousy. as most guys get a new kart every racing season. try to pickup a few year old 125...

Old 12-11-2004, 03:40 AM
FineProperty is infamous around these parts
Todd's confusing post aside (I think Paul Tracy has the track record on the Maui kart track)...

I currently race karts. Currently, the best easy/low maintainance kart would be the Rotax. If you're thinking of having a few for friends to come and play with you, they're easy to own and repair.

Your track in Maui though, does not seem to have a Rotax series, they run 100cc Yamaha's (or the 125 shifters). It's best to go with something the locals are running, so you can get gearing, chassis setup, parts, used karts, go racing on weekends, etc, with the group.

There's probably only one or two kart shops on the whole island, that's a good first stop. They can help you with chassis selection. Birel's/CRG/Tonykart/PTK are all great. As for shifter vs non, start with non-shifted first, get the lines down, get used to the speed, get used to wheel to wheel racing first (touching open wheel karts together with no seat belts and roll bars is a bit scary, and you can flip one on your head at 65 mph).

And, I can't say this enough, it is the most exhilerating, connected feel you can have at speed. Schumacher, Tracy, Montoya, and a very long list of other pro's, all run karts for fun and to stay in tune. Enjoy. Feel free to PM me, or ask here for others to enjoy.

Here's a shot of our track (being built 2 years ago)

Old 12-11-2004, 03:55 AM
FineProperty is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by jroy
i would suggest a 125cc shifter and just take it easy at first. the kt100 yamaha karts you will likely grow out of very fast. and resale for karts is lousy. as most guys get a new kart every racing season. try to pickup a few year old 125...
I thought this too...but look at his stable (Lambo/Ferrari, etc). Do you think losing $3000 on resale of an old kart after 2 years of enjoyment is going to matter? That's a spring tune up on the 355.

I'm on my 3rd year with my chassis, love my CRG!

There's no doubt you would like the shifter after awhile, but if you're bringing friends out to run with you, they won't get it in a day. It's more "fun" to run hard and fast just thinking brake/throttle. Most first/second timers will be tapping the gas with every shift out of habit (brain thinking it's a clutch). Of course if you have no desire to compete, and only certain friends will always join you, then shifters may be fun.

Over the last 3 years I've watched a lot of new guys in shifters become moving pylons for other racers. The newbie's eventually sold their karts and decided they didn't like racing. A spec Yamaha puts everyone on more equal ground and you can concentrate on the line/setup/tires/being smooth/passing/getting passed/the start/cost/the competition/the other classes/the schedule/desire/gear/repair/friends, etc. A spec Yamaha could probably be picked up already dialed in from one of the racers last year that's moving up to shifters, if you want to save $. A new kart and gear in Hawaii, maybe $6000.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Parker is infamous around these parts
Todd whats wrong with automatic karts?

BTW paul tracy's karts ROCK... but i think they're all shifter karts.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, c'mon!!! I was talking about Matt Fresh, our buddy, who had an avatar of himself in a cart and used to talk about racing carts. I then seamlessly integrated his most famous thread (about tiptronics being 'gay') into the thread with the utmost of care and tact.

Obviously it was a gross failure...

Old 12-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Don Relentless is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Parker
Todd whats wrong with automatic karts?

BTW paul tracy's karts ROCK... but i think they're all shifter karts.
for the most part they are not as fun, but lighter and quicker for a beginner. it's in theory the same as tip and stick obviously. but i woud not doubt buy a shifter to start with, like a honda or kawai engine as they need less rebuild and are very reliable.

Last edited by Don Relentless; 12-11-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:05 AM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
Rotax RM1 is by far the best bang for the buck and an awsome beginner kart. Its a shame there is no series in your area....but hey somebody needs to start it, might as well be you....

http://www.rm1-kart.com/index.html

dave w

Old 12-11-2004, 11:11 AM
C4S4G is infamous around these parts
What you might consider is a Parilla motor based kart. The Parilla, also referred to as TAG (touch and go) is a 125cc sprint package. They are avaialble on a wide range of chassis's (Birel, Energy, CRG, Emmick, etc.). I prefer the Birel chassis package.

The Parilla package is widely considered as the fastest growing sprint class in karting. The motor is very reliable, can run 25+ hours before top-end rebuild, is water cooled, has an on-board starter and is very fast.

The advantage over Rotax is that most motor shops can rebuild the motor and. if you choose, you can do the work yourself. Rotax guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but the rotax case can only be broken by a certified Rotax shop if you are involved in racing the kart.

I don't sell any of this stuff, I just race in a Parilla class in Northern California.

Visit your local Kart track and find out what classes they offer for club racing. This may dictate what direction you go if you as you'll want a class with plentyof competition.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Parker is infamous around these parts
Thx eric. Todd, way over my head, as i almost entirely forgot about that clown

Sorry man

Old 12-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Erik@Cargraphic is infamous around these parts
Go karts

Allan and the crew from The Speed Gallery are avid kart racers.
Here is a picture of Allans Race winning Kart.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Banned
mike@evo is infamous around these parts
Whut do you guys no about the easykart series.... a couple of the guys here want to get into it because it is more of a fair class, and is more about driver skill then power of the kart.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Allan@SpeedG is infamous around these parts
karting

I would get into a crg road rebel with a tm or the swedetech motor. Whatever kart you decide to get, if its used have it checked out first and find out when the last service was. if you need any help feel free to call me at 818-766-2321

Allan

Old 12-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Banned
allanlambo is infamous around these parts
Hey guys! Thanks for all the advice. The reason im thinking to start with a regular cart is that:
a. we most likely will never really be racing them, as races are on Sundays, and i work.
b. It will just be a couple of us from work
c. If i grow out of the non shifter cart, then i can still keep it for people to ride, such as my wife.

Maui is such a pain in the *** when it comes to anything, as i have tried to find any sort of shop here, and there are NONE!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Race Go-carts