996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Installed a set of GT3 Wheels *PIC*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:36 PM
legendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PatBlack
I am +1. It is just not worth it. Plus, if your going buy wheels. Save and buy the best. HRE's, Asanti, Forgiato, or some 3pc. That's just me. Please don't buy a $100 wedding ring if you want it to last a life time. Then get mad when it doesn't work out.
Even those name brand wheels fail...you have to go BBS, volk for strength

All I know is that there are several people running these gt3 styles with no problems

Old 12-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Freier is infamous around these parts
Love the white TT, and the wheels look great.

While on the topic of replica wheels, does it carry any weight when an ad states they exceed DOT, TUV and JWL standards?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM
legendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Freier
Love the white TT, and the wheels look great.

While on the topic of replica wheels, does it carry any weight when an ad states they exceed DOT, TUV and JWL standards?
probably doesn't mean it does though

Old 12-31-2009, 05:39 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
pics taken from my flux capacitor
Steve, I don't know what the problem is...you should be able to fix those up with some duct tape and resell them on eBay. No problem.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:33 AM
docwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to all
Duct tape and zip ties fix everything!

Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
They look really nice as a street wheel. Knockoffs I think are usually fine for the street just put on your old ones when you go to the track. Now, if I were you, I would paint the centers black and leave the lip as is. That would make for some really nice contrast. But they look great as is also, congrats.
To give you an idea of what they'd look like painted black and leaving the lip as is, here's a shot of mine with the stock GT3 wheels as ordered and painted from the factory.

Nice.

Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I like them and given the weight they must be OK... Others here have used these with success.

Do you know the sizes and offsets? It's time to lower your car and get some wheel spacers

Old 01-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I'm pretty sure my car has knock offs. ( 90% sure ) They came w/ the car. I was lucky to be told about the dangers w/ in a few days of getting the car. I haven't put the car under a lot of stress w/ high speed driving or cornering. I will leave them on until I can get some $,$$$ to replace them. I actually like the style and hope to find something similar or the same when I get to replace them.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:00 AM
SigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to behold
the idea of knock offs do frighten me quite abit (I was in my friends RX7 when his "cost effective" wheel solution failed on him at 80 we flipped (we were ok due to a 5 point harness and a cage) but damn that made me poo myself. When i went about getting a new set of rims for the E55 i coughed up the dough and bought AMG rims not knock offs. I figure the safety and well being of myself and family is well worth the 3-4G for a good set of rims. Figure also you invested close to 80G+ on that turbo (assuming you got it used) or 150+ new... why skimp on a few grand? I can see if its a small part say a shift ****, or i dont know... new intake snorkel but with rims, brakes, and anything that can compromise safety I always use top of the line products.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:06 AM
SigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ari
I like them and given the weight they must be OK... Others here have used these with success.

Do you know the sizes and offsets? It's time to lower your car and get some wheel spacers
Weight isnt a proper way of telling if its a ok rim, it comes down to how it was forged/cast, also the metal they use, if the alloy has many imperfections, if it isn't perfectly cast, there are alot of stresses put on a wheel (lateral forces, friction, specific stress points which need to be compensated for with thickness of wheel etc.) and if they are not engineered for it then they will fail not if but when is the question. There is a reason you pay good money for a top of the line rim, your not just buying the name (although that is a factor) your buying the R&D the expertise, the premium manufacturing techniques, and top quality material. Think of it this way a rim made of say steel can weigh the same as a rim made of aluminum, or dog crap, so weight alone is not a valid factor. There is also a reason why there are EPA, DOT, MOT standards in rims, and now there are aftermarket manufacturers (TechArt and other main stream companies) that actually PRIDE themselves in saying they are MOT,DOT certified.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PatBlack
I am +1. It is just not worth it. Plus, if your going buy wheels. Save and buy the best. HRE's, Asanti, Forgiato, or some 3pc. That's just me. Please don't buy a $100 wedding ring if you want it to last a life time. Then get mad when it doesn't work out.
I have to agreed..... it took me a couple of extra weeks to save up, but buy the best...... plus those things are heavy man...30lb, in the rear 26 up front....wow, thats stock....if you can go with a set of the comp series, you will thank me later.... trust me...they are like 18 to 21 pounds....super light and strong....
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-02-2010, 03:45 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Steve, I don't know what the problem is...you should be able to fix those up with some duct tape and resell them on eBay. No problem.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:52 AM
gsxr1074 is infamous around these parts
This happened at the track. I think the brand was RH. Please do not track cheap wheels, as this owner found out the hard way..

Attached Images  

Last edited by gsxr1074; 01-02-2010 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Added more text
Old 01-02-2010, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by gsxr1074
This happened at the track. I think the brand was RH. Please do not track cheap wheels, as this owner found out the hard way..
Holy Hell! the entire center hub failed... every single spoke sheered off... wow..

Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
So what was so wrong with the turbo twists? In my opinion, they are far better looking than the GT3 wheels on your turbo. My two cents.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed a set of GT3 Wheels *PIC*