996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Recommended mods for track use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 AM
docwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to all
Recommended mods for track use?

So I'm in the process of looking for a 996tt to replace my E46 M3. I'm an instructor for NASA and do 6-8 track weekends a season with my M3, which has coilovers, camber plates, etc, etc, etc.

I'd like to run the 996tt basically stock with the exception of brake pads and tires the first season to get a feel for what it does and needs.

After that, what is recommended? I'm assuming brakes are fine with proper track pads. Anything need reinforcing, like adding another oil cooler, more ducts, etc, etc?

What about suspension? Can you get enough camber without having to get different control arms? If not, and if you can't use camber plates, how do you swap between your track alignment and street alignment?

Any other advice appreciated!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:57 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Safety stuff.... cg lock at first, then a full system.
Suspension. I have JIC, sways f/r, links, adjustable arms in rear, corner balanced and lowered.
Pads/SRF work for me and then you can get some gt3's calipers up front/2 pc rotors....but the stock brakes with good pads and good fluid are very, very good.
I use EBC red and will move to yellow pads. AFAIK, seem as good as Pagid and are 1/3 the price.....not absolutely a race car pad, but for me in the lower run groups it is fine.
Then exhaust/1.0 bar ecu. Get a good tuner to do this...UMW, EVO, EPL, softtronic are some of them.... I think for this car that torque is key, and some tuners make a lot more torque under the curve. It is not all HP....
I happen to like 5w-50 oil...Mobil 1 is approved for the car by the factory at this weight. My oil consumption is way lower now too.
Later: gt2 clutch upgrade, light weight flywheel, pedals, short shift kit or at least a 997 shifter...

Seat time is assumed!

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-01-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:06 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
High performance brake fluid like SRF is a MUST, along with larger front brake cooling ducts because of the turbo's weight.

For the track, the turbo's suspension needs upgrading but it can be driven as is until you see for yourself. Sway bars and drop links need to be upgraded. Coilovers with stiffer springs really make a difference. My first season I ran stock camber and it was OK, but GT3 lower control arms is where you get front camber, and for rear camber you need upper control arms. Toe steer arms are a plus.

Last edited by landjet; 12-31-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Yes, a cheap easy quick safety improvement is to get the bigger plastic air
scoops that mount on the control arms, to direct air to the brakes. A forum
search will find you the biggest ones. There are at least 2 or 3 bigger ones
that come on other Porsche models. Other than that, get a track-oriented
alignment (as much as you can). Soon you will want more negative camber,
which will need the adjustable lower control arms.
I would guess those would be the first basics.
HTH,
Joe

Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Get some suspension work done if/when you can. That really helps.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
High performance brake fluid like SRF is a MUST, along with larger front brake cooling ducts because of the turbo's weight
Just saw these ducts today on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-GT3-BRAKE-COOLING-DUCTS-986-987-996-997-TURBO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9911bc4cQQitemZ 320395656268QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc cessories

Old 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Those actually aren't a bad upgrade over stock and are pretty decently priced.

Mike

Old 12-31-2009, 06:21 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
Just saw these ducts today on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-GT3-BRAKE-COOLING-DUCTS-986-987-996-997-TURBO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9911bc4cQQitemZ 320395656268QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc cessories
I think you can get those on Suncoast for less (if they are priced per pair). I have meant to contact them...

http://www.e-partssales.com/miva/mer...de=986boxsters

Old 12-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Been down this road... Currently instructing with PCA and a couple of other clubs...And building a SpecMiata to race in...

For suspension:

Coil overs of your choice, Gt3 control arms, Dogbones, amd thrust bushings, along with rear toe links, sway bars, and droplinks.

Brakes:

I upgraded to better cooling, better fluid (I'm not a fan of the factory fill) and upgrade to 350MM rotors front and rear with front GT3 calipers, and I'm a fan of Pagid Yellows for their rotor-friendly use.

Driveline Bushings:

I really think this helps much more because of improved acceleration and shifting, and does away with a driveline that moves around a lot under acceleration and braking in road course conditions.

Beyond that, tires tires tires...

Welcome to the 996TT track day club!
Mike

Old 12-31-2009, 09:47 PM
docwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to all
With the control arms, how easy is it to go from street camber to track camber settings?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
1. Brain focused - CHECK
2. Learning Mode - CHECK

3. FULL Nut Sack - CHECK

Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 10:40 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Been down this road... Currently instructing with PCA and a couple of other clubs...And building a SpecMiata to race in...

For suspension:

Coil overs of your choice, Gt3 control arms, Dogbones, amd thrust bushings, along with rear toe links, sway bars, and droplinks.

Brakes:

I upgraded to better cooling, better fluid (I'm not a fan of the factory fill) and upgrade to 350MM rotors front and rear with front GT3 calipers, and I'm a fan of Pagid Yellows for their rotor-friendly use.

Driveline Bushings:

I really think this helps much more because of improved acceleration and shifting, and does away with a driveline that moves around a lot under acceleration and braking in road course conditions.

Beyond that, tires tires tires...

Welcome to the 996TT track day club!
Mike
355 MM brakes and all things mentioned above + good seats, harnesses
and high quality lightweight/strong 18" track wheels with proper tires.

To sum it up:

upgraded brakes (or at least brake pads)
upgraded seating and harnessing (to hold you in)
rear cage (to keep you in 1 piece in case of rollover)
upgraded suspension (to keep power planted and turn in sharp)

lots of seat time +++ WITH a good instructor specific to the car
(not a "boxter guy" that autocrosses)

Old 01-01-2010, 12:25 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
Modification to previous post:

1. Brain - ON
2. Eyes - OPEN
3. Mouth - SHUT
4. ******* - FULL
5. Car - PREPPED

Your good to go!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:47 PM
What part of HE'S AN INSTRUCTOR did you miss?

#1 - Pretty sure his brain is on, because of his original post.

#2 - He's an instructor, so I'd say his down-range vision is just fine.

#3 - His mouth has to be OPENED so he can instructor stuDents on getting around a road course.

#4 - He's already got a *******, as he's sitting in the passenger seat teaching students who won't shut up or pay attention...

You caught up to speed now, Frank?

Mike Kelly

Originally Posted by frankster
Modification to previous post:

1. Brain - ON
2. Eyes - OPEN
3. Mouth - SHUT
4. ******* - FULL
5. Car - PREPPED

Your good to go!

Old 01-01-2010, 03:33 PM
manalex is infamous around these parts
Speaking from experience, I would not track the 996TT. It's a fantastic car and I loved every minute of it, but there are a few things that do not make it ideal for the track.

Because you are an instructor you're probably an above average driver. This will expose the car's weak spots very quickly.
1) The OEM suspension is lacking because, uh well, the 996TT is a heavy pig and its not a GT3. So you'll spend a lot of money on coilovers, sway bars, bushings, and other misc. components just to get it up to par. This will cost you at least $5k, or easily $15K or more depending on what you choose.
2) In my opinion the turbo is under-powered given its weight (you'll come to this same conclusion when a Z06 walks on you on the straights). So, if you haven't already, you'll be tempted to do an ECU and exhaust upgrade. For a car of this weight, I think the sweet spot for track use is about 525hp-again my opinion. It can cost about $7.5k to reliably get there from non x50 car.
3) Brakes-Brakes-Brakes! The four piston setup is simply not enough for regular track use. You'll quickly experience brake fade (if not failure) when a more experienced diver is behind the wheel and/or if you've increased the power. You'll also go through pads and rotors like you never thought possible. Upgrading brakes to 350mm with 6 pistons calipers IS A MUST! Get ready to write a $3.5k check just for the parts.
4) Safety, roll/harness bars, seats, harnesses, etc. can set you back another $4-6k depending on which components you get. Should have listed this first.

All that said, it was a complete blast driving this car on the track. I live in the SE and had access to some great tracks, RATL, VIR, Barber and others and each was a thrill. I have now converted the 996TT to a more stock stance and am now tracking a 996 dedicated track car.

Last edited by manalex; 01-01-2010 at 04:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Recommended mods for track use?