996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

TO Track or NOT to Track Your Turbo.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I should probably add that I too put about 20K worth of suspension mods on my first TT along with about 11K worth of breaking (overkill I know) but it sure transformed it. I mean PSS9/10s are a great step up but rather than bumping power (beyond an easy tune etc...) I think once the suspension is tackled on the TT that truly helps address one of its inherent weaknesses. Huge difference in my book

And again, I'm all for this thread. You guys can count me in as far as supporting/understanding TT's are fab. at the track as well. No arguments from me on this point.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:14 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
We love you too Sharky. Besides we know you're not going to pee in the pool that you drink{$} from.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:25 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Sharky, what did that 3.9 run at Willow? Any acceleration numbers for it? (1/4 mile).

I've always said a 500 hp GT3 would be the most perfect factory car ever.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
We love you too Sharky. Besides we know you're not going to pee in the pool that you drink{$} from.
Hehe thanks Larry! I'm still the same nerd as always:P
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Sharky, what did that 3.9 run at Willow? Any acceleration numbers for it? (1/4 mile).

I've always said a 500 hp GT3 would be the most perfect factory car ever.
We didn't officially time her.... Somebody silly (um.. that would be me), showed up with tires that that weren't exactly fit for keeping traction properly Sadly I underestimated the meat on them and the damage a 400mile trip down the freeways would do. Nonethless she was low 1.20s from what I remember. We're supposed to go back there and do some proper timing with 325s on there as well. As far as 1/4mile stuff all I can say is that from the build thread we ran toe to toe with a lambo SL and managed to beat that. Those trap 124 or so? I don't really want to launch her etc.. but I feel she's around 125mph capable.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Keep us updated, I'd like to know how it does.

What suspension mods are on it? (sorry, didn't see the build thread)

You don't really need to launch to get a good trap speed though. In fact, you'll probably get a better trap speed with a baby launch.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Everyone knows that tracking a 996TT is a waste of time...
Just ask Tom Kerr!

Mike Kelly

Old 12-31-2009, 02:28 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
If you are a true tracker, get the 2010 GT3. Nothing better out there from Porsche.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Screw that, just get the new CupCar... 2600# and 450HP!

Mike

Old 12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
HC, Good thread to start. Lots to learn from here. To answer your previous question, i have done about 4 DE's and private track days at Gingerman and Road America so far. My car is a 650 HP car with stock suspension, pagid yellows (4 corners) and SRF brake fluid. It was very fast on the straight away but did not feel so confident on corners. Need to do some suspension work ....but instead i decided to buy a fully built E36 BMW 2700lbs 225 HP for track duty, The cost is under 7k. Now i can learn to be a better driver first on a cheaper car.

Last edited by vbmw335; 12-31-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:47 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Screw that, just get the new CupCar... 2600# and 450HP!

Mike
+1 ,Someone i know bought a 996cup car for 70k. But the 2010 gt3 is excellent as a DD and a track car.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:56 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
You should track your car because:

1) You have no skill as a driver until you do, and. . .

2) You are a ***** if you don't!

Seriously.

Last edited by landjet; 12-31-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: missed a letter
Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vbmw335
+1 ,Someone i know bought a 996cup car for 70k. But the 2010 gt3 is excellent as a DD and a track car.
Having a 2010 GT3 as a DD may look great on paper, but that would also mean leaving it in my office parking lot. I trust the idiots in my building about as far as I can throw them when it comes to navigating around the lot without hitting other cars.

I take great care when parking my TT that is my DD, but I'd be paranoid all day having a new GT3 in the lot and out of my direct view.

Also have snow and ice here 6 months out of the year and the AWD gets the job done.
Can't imaging even getting out of the garage with a GT3 when its -10 outside with icy roads and 3 fresh inches of new snow on the ground.

That being said...

I would have no problem taking my car to a local track every now and then. I've pushed as hard as I dare on some winding mountain roads, and for real life road conditions, it's done great.

If I had my choice for a day at the track, it would be a GT3 though.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:33 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
"If you don't like my opinions, please have the good taste to **** off!"

Made me chuckle Frankster.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:35 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
Nothin' but love for my 6speed brethren!

Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 PM
AdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by landjet
I track my turbo because:
1} It's the only place I feel I can reach toward the potential of the car safely.
2} It's the only place where I can reach for the potential of my car and not get a speeding ticket.
3} It's a blast.
4} The camaraderie of fellow Porsche driver's is great.
5} It's satisfying to pass GT3s along with most everything else.

I totally agree!! best place to learn your skill level and enjoy the car in a "safe environment"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TO Track or NOT to Track Your Turbo.......