996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

TO Track or NOT to Track Your Turbo.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
My 2 cents, I don't believe there is another car that is as versatile as the stock 996TT for all uses with extremely high performance. I use it to:

1) Take my daughter to school
2) Commute everyday to work
3) Stop at the supermarket on the way home and actually have room for stuff
4) Spirited driving on the weekends
5) Take out at night for dinners with my wife
6) Comfortable in heavy traffic, i.e. seats OK, radio passable
7) No fear of losing all traction in heavy rain storms
8) With the snow tires, causally pass sedans stuck in the snow and ice
9) and yes 6 times at Lime Rock and Monticello in the low and mid run groups, passing everything at will on the straights and learning to master the turns with all that stock understeer and recognizing that stock TTs are slow in fast out of the turns vs most other cars

I am still stock and with my 30,000 coming up I'll be paying Tony at EPL a visit soon.

What other car can do all that for less than 60k?

--BM

Old 12-31-2009, 04:03 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbmw335
HC, Good thread to start. Lots to learn from here. To answer your previous question, i have done about 4 DE's and private track days at Gingerman and Road America so far. My car is a 650 HP car with stock suspension, pagid yellows (4 corners) and SRF brake fluid. It was very fast on the straight away but did not feel so confident on corners. Need to do some suspension work ....but instead i decided to buy a fully built E36 BMW 2700lbs 225 HP for track duty, The cost is under 7k. Now i can learn to be a better driver first on a cheaper car.
Understatement of the century, I can't think of many cars that can handle 230 more hp with their stock suspensions. That's not fair to the car.

Granted, the TT is watered down stock, all it needs is a decent set of coilovers and a rear sway to be potent. The factory suspension can barely handle the weight and power it has stock.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:30 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Understatement of the century, I can't think of many cars that can handle 230 more hp with their stock suspensions. That's not fair to the car.

Granted, the TT is watered down stock, all it needs is a decent set of coilovers and a rear sway to be potent. The factory suspension can barely handle the weight and power it has stock.
I agree, not many cars will feel this tight with stock suspension at 600+ Hp level. Its very floaty and i know the KW v3 coilovers plus sway bar is a good start to fix these issues.

But for now , i was able to locate a fully gutted BMW E36, roll cage, suspension,wheels, steering , race seats etc..for about 5k. Even if i hit a wall or blow the motor ...its far less expensive than fixing the tt. Its not in the same league as the 996tt (modded), but a great well balanced track car to learn.

Last edited by vbmw335; 12-31-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM
mose55 is infamous around these parts
The answer to the OP question for me was simple math...with the depreciation hit on the turbos, it didn't make much sense to sell it and get a dedicated track car (that will likely be less capable)!

I sense that I am going down the slippery slope pretty quickly now and may end up soon like Tom Kerr's ride

I find that the only cars that typically pass me are the Cup Cars and other cars set up for club racing. Can't deny the laws of physics as my car has not been lightened much and only slightly upgraded brakes so they way out brake me and they are running slicks/Hoosiers while I am on sport cups so the corners are theirs as well. Net-net, as a modified street car, I think I hold my own pretty well! Great fun trying to chase them down especially at a fast track like the Glen.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:51 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Keep us updated, I'd like to know how it does.

What suspension mods are on it? (sorry, didn't see the build thread)

You don't really need to launch to get a good trap speed though. In fact, you'll probably get a better trap speed with a baby launch.
You bet... I will and I'll be playing with my 6 GT3 as well. The 7 doesn't really have any suspension mods. Just a good alignment and that techart noselift system but I'll be playing with that too. Luckily out of the box the 3/RS has a proper coil over set up to start with.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
If anyone needs some cheap track wheels, there are 2 sets of OEM 996TT wheels in the "for sale" section for $800. Both sets include some decent tires for that price. The wheels are not mine, just thought I'd give a heads up since this is a track thread.

Last edited by landjet; 01-01-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by frankster
You should track your car because:

1) You have no skill as a driver until you do, and. . .

2) You are a ***** if you don't!

Seriously.
The absolute best post of 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 PM
docwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to all
The best thing about cars is that they're different things to different people. I'll never be a "polisher", but if that's your passion, great!

I personally love the folks that buy these cars new and then hardly use em, cause it makes for great pickings for me when I come looking to buy one some years down the road!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Merlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of light
I wish I could somehow change the wife's mind to track my turbo, but do to the clutch, exhaust, suspension, and a few other unexpected issues, she says "do you wanna spend more money on this german thing?".

She once mentioned something about a GERMAN BONFIRE! Yikes! I guess mine will have to be a street monster for now, but I agree that this would make a perfect TRACK BEAST, if you choose to go that far.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbmw335
I agree, not many cars will feel this tight with stock suspension at 600+ Hp level. Its very floaty and i know the KW v3 coilovers plus sway bar is a good start to fix these issues.

But for now , i was able to locate a fully gutted BMW E36, roll cage, suspension,wheels, steering , race seats etc..for about 5k. Even if i hit a wall or blow the motor ...its far less expensive than fixing the tt. Its not in the same league as the 996tt (modded), but a great well balanced track car to learn.

An E36 is a great choice for a dedicated track car, and learning car. Without a doubt!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:20 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Merlin
I wish I could somehow change the wife's mind to track my turbo, but do to the clutch, exhaust, suspension, and a few other unexpected issues, she says "do you wanna spend more money on this german thing?".

She once mentioned something about a GERMAN BONFIRE! Yikes! I guess mine will have to be a street monster for now, but I agree that this would make a perfect TRACK BEAST, if you choose to go that far.

Seriously!? . . . Are you required to check your ******* at the California state line?

MAN UP, BRO! Let your wife know how it's gonna be, and go track your car. If she gives you any lip, KEEP THE PIMP HAND STRONG!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Back to topic (and reality)...

I used to think that the GT3 was IT... The only Porsche worth tracking successfully. It's a great learning tool, without any driving aids to interfer, without the weight and front drive.

All that said, it is the ultimate highspeed momentum car. "What the hell did Mike just say?" Unless you're gonna dump the kinda coin in it that Sharky has invested in his 3.9, you're gonna need to spend a bunch of time on track getting talent.

This year I parked the Porsche and started tracking a Miata late in the season, while I was starting my career as an instructor. That car has taught me a lot about appreciating everything that the 996TT is. It is actually much harder driving a car that is limited on power, and I think the GT3s are just that... In the world of supercars, they're limited, by and large. The TT makes so much more power, and you can grow with it, as you learn to drive faster.

Sure, the 996TT needs better brakes, better suspension and lighter weight... You can get all of it over time. I think it's the best bang for the bucks supercar on the planet, and I simply can't wait to get back to the track in mine.

Between the 996TT, The V8 Datsun Zcar monster (450HP and 2200#) and the SpecMiata, I expect my driving to improve greatly this year...

Mike

Old 01-01-2010, 02:09 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frankster
Seriously!? . . . Are you required to check your ******* at the California state line?

MAN UP, BRO! Let your wife know how it's gonna be, and go track your car. If she gives you any lip, KEEP THE PIMP HAND STRONG!!!
Excellent

Old 01-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Great thread, subscribed!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:13 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Back to topic (and reality)...

I used to think that the GT3 was IT... The only Porsche worth tracking successfully. It's a great learning tool, without any driving aids to interfer, without the weight and front drive.

All that said, it is the ultimate highspeed momentum car. "What the hell did Mike just say?" Unless you're gonna dump the kinda coin in it that Sharky has invested in his 3.9, you're gonna need to spend a bunch of time on track getting talent.

This year I parked the Porsche and started tracking a Miata late in the season, while I was starting my career as an instructor. That car has taught me a lot about appreciating everything that the 996TT is. It is actually much harder driving a car that is limited on power, and I think the GT3s are just that... In the world of supercars, they're limited, by and large. The TT makes so much more power, and you can grow with it, as you learn to drive faster.

Sure, the 996TT needs better brakes, better suspension and lighter weight... You can get all of it over time. I think it's the best bang for the bucks supercar on the planet, and I simply can't wait to get back to the track in mine.

Between the 996TT, The V8 Datsun Zcar monster (450HP and 2200#) and the SpecMiata, I expect my driving to improve greatly this year...

Mike
Glad you're back Mike, missed your tt track vids. You are 1000% right btw.
c

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TO Track or NOT to Track Your Turbo.......