996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

TO Track or NOT to Track Your Turbo.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Yea, from what I can find out on the NEW 2010 Cupcar, we're talking 2600# and 450HP... Steve, the "other" project car I'm 95% done building is gonna have a "slightly" better power to weight of 2200# and 530BHP (closer to 450WHP).

Mike
Yip... there is the new Cup R and last year was Cup S

Cup R... is 480bhp

Any more pics of that car of yours... I looked at the ones about a couple of months back... good to see it out in action soon

Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Second vid, is one I quickly looked up... these guys are knockin just under 2min a lap also... it's just an example!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:03 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
In the end, aren't we all a bunch of amateurs out to have a good time over all else. I don't know about you guys, but nobody is paying me to drive my car or throwing up sponsor money to pay my car costs. For the 996TT to be able to do all it does and pass 9/10ths of all the cars out there gives me such a thrill, who cares about the rest. Yea I love to learn and want to become a better driver, but I'm never going to be a pro, I don't care about club racing. All I really care about is having a blast and driving my car home in the same shape it showed up in. Very few cars can give you as much as the turbo.

Last edited by landjet; 01-01-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:22 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
A fully set up Cup Car with pro driver at Spa (Sean Edwards, Konrad Racing) will run roughly 2:30 a stock GT3RS in an experienced driver will run roughly 2:50.... you could probably knock off at best 5 seconds for pro driver (roughly)... my best is a 2:45 and trust me that was quick and I ain't no pro but I know Spa pretty well though... at the most a pro could get in my car and knock off maybe 5 seconds (roughly)... which would still be 10 seconds behind a Cup... even Cup Cars can be very different.
Are you running Cup slicks? Unless you are running the same caliber tires, you can't make a direct lap time comparison between the two cars. What about coilovers? 3 way motons? Ohlins? 4-ways?

Not to mention the tuning that goes into the cars.

And that is a LONG lap, so 15 seconds behind a Cup Car isn't bad at all for an amateur driver.

We aren't talking about a car anyone can hop in and run up against a Cup Car, we are talking really tuning a suspension the way a pro team would to extract the best from the car. On a 2.5 minute lap, 5 seconds may be an understatement for improvement for a pro.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Are you running Cup slicks? Unless you are running the same caliber tires, you can't make a direct lap time comparison between the two cars. What about coilovers? 3 way motons? Ohlins? 4-ways?

Not to mention the tuning that goes into the cars.

And that is a LONG lap, so 15 seconds behind a Cup Car isn't bad at all for an amateur driver.

We aren't talking about a car anyone can hop in and run up against a Cup Car, we are talking really tuning a suspension the way a pro team would to extract the best from the car. On a 2.5 minute lap, 5 seconds may be an understatement for improvement for a pro.

Pirelli Full Slicks 325 rear/265 front... on Motons and just upgraded to new style just released... very first set for 996 Turbo uprights

Old 01-01-2010, 09:09 PM

Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 PM
See people think it's just a matter of changing out suspension to compete with a Cup Car... the whole suspension set up is totally different... the uprights are completely different, rear sub mounts different, etc, etc.
Talk to Cary at ERP... there is only so far you will get with a Turbo.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:37 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
See people think it's just a matter of changing out suspension to compete with a Cup Car... the whole suspension set up is totally different... the uprights are completely different, rear sub mounts different, etc, etc.
Talk to Cary at ERP... there is only so far you will get with a Turbo.

It's not a matter of JUST suspension, it's aero, power, weight reduction, tires, etc.

You can't compare your car to a pro series like that, their level of development far exceeds anything we could do to maximize our cars,far more testing of everything, changing springs rates and gearing for that particular track pro driver with his setup in high pressure situation. That can't be replicated at a DE in a street car. So you can't really compare the two.

It can be done. But you have to compare something closer to earth level, like amateur club racing with drivers and support on our level. And with that said, our cars can keep up. None of us have developed a TT to that level yet, so that's a wild guess as to how it would fair.

If I'm not mistaken, that GMG package is a clubsport with their "special" valving. That isn't remotely on the same level of Cup Cars on 4 and 5 way suspensions. It's not even as good as a 3 way Moton, JRZ or Ohlins. Those Pirellis aren't as good as the Cup Tires either from what I've heard. You are leaving a TON of time on the table with those items plus a pro caliber driver to tune and engineer to set the car up. That 10 seconds would go away real fast.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-01-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm lost with this thread now Dez... first of all it was make a few mods Suspension, Aero, etc and all of a sudden we were flying past Cup Cars, now your getting into a different world with modifying a Turbo and you would be spending a hell of a lot more I can assure you.

I give in... away to bed now!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
It's not a matter of JUST suspension, it's aero, power, weight reduction, tires, etc.

You can't compare your car to a pro series like that, their level of development far exceeds anything we could do to maximize our cars,far more testing of everything, changing springs rates and gearing for that particular track pro driver with his setup in high pressure situation. That can't be replicated at a DE in a street car. So you can't really compare the two.

It can be done. But you have to compare something closer to earth level, like amateur club racing with drivers and support on our level. And with that said, our cars can keep up. None of us have developed a TT to that level yet, so that's a wild guess as to how it would fair.

If I'm not mistaken, that GMG package is a clubsport with their "special" valving. That isn't remotely on the same level of Cup Cars on 4 and 5 way suspensions. It's not even as good as a 3 way Moton, JRZ or Ohlins. Those Pirellis aren't as good as the Cup Tires either from what I've heard. You are leaving a TON of time on the table with those items plus a pro caliber driver to tune and engineer to set the car up. That 10 seconds would go away real fast.
You are very much mistaken I can assure you... anyone who thinks they can dial in 4 way suspension to work correctly on a Turbo is having a laugh... agreed it has to be set up correctly but it's all done through data logging... Dez, my good friend Jerome owns Moton, I do ask these questions.

What on earth are you talking about the Pirelli's.. they are run in the GT series and if I remember correctly they were being introduced on the new Cup Cars to replace Michelins (I will cross check that)... I'm out of here!

Last edited by 996TT_STEVO; 01-01-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM
And stop bloody editing your posts

Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
They are still running Michelins as far as I know, unless it was just one of these Rumors floating around, but they do run Pirellis in GT series and they are no way leaving a ton of time as you put it... if anything they have shorter life but the grip is there.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Oh... and that is not my car in these pics posted and I did not purchase my suspension through GMG... it was obtained direct from the factory.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm lost with this thread now Dez... first of all it was make a few mods Suspension, Aero, etc and all of a sudden we were flying past Cup Cars, now your getting into a different world with modifying a Turbo and you would be spending a hell of a lot more I can assure you.

I give in... away to bed now!
I simply said that you can run with Cup Cars, I don't recall ever saying anything about even being faster than the fastest Cups, but you can surely be in the mix.

I know exactly how much it would costs, and I can list the parts you need if you like so we can price it together, I'm not underestimating anything.

You're trying to compare your amateur setup and driving to a professional series in order to compare the cars. Does that make any sense to you? There are plenty of amateur cup racing series to compare to.

BTW here is an EVO with ~ 384 hp on MPSC in traffic, with a passenger running 2:51 at Spa. I would guess a pro in a GT3/RS could run better than you stated. And in your car MUCH MUCH better on slicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZLN6_37O0

You are very much mistaken I can assure you... anyone who thinks they can dial in 4 way suspension to work correctly on a Turbo is having a laugh... agreed it has to be set up correctly but it's all done through data logging... Dez, my good friend Jerome owns Moton, I do ask these questions.

What on earth are you talking about the Pirelli's.. they are run in the GT series and if I remember correctly they were being introduced on the new Cup Cars to replace Michelins (I will cross check that)... I'm out of here!
I'm not mistaken, but I do agree that you can't tune a 3-4 way suspension BY YOURSELF. You get an experienced pro to set them up and then you drive it, you'll at least be close to what the suspension has to offer. Goes on here on a regular basis. And data logging is the norm, can't be competitive without it.

BTW is your car a tip??? Sounded like it in your spa vid.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-01-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Everyone should track their turbo at least twice w/ a good instructor. Furthermore they should do some homework to get the most out of their sessions and most importantly apply what they have learned to their street driving (and not fall back into the bad habits that most drivers develop).

If you have a thick wallet you can get more competative. I don't so I do karting nowadays but apply what I learn on the track to the street.

Now get to sleep, Steve.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TO Track or NOT to Track Your Turbo.......