996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

TO Track or NOT to Track Your Turbo.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:26 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm confused. I don't know if an RSR diff can be mounted to a tip, but I do know what I heard on your spa vid was not regular 6 speed and sounded like a Tip/Auto.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:44 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I haven't read the thread much but from I have noticed in previous threads specialy in the gt3 forum is that their is a miconception that the
Turbo is 'slow'.

IMO a lot of the problems with people not being fast at the track is the
due to the fact that they add way to much to hp that it hurts them. Along with the fact that they dont know wtf they are doing out there, and gt3 owners for the post part have track experience.
I think, that 550bhp is the most you need for track on a street car/DE
track car. And with a simple flash you are almost there with the turbo.
Yes you have lag, that the gt3's dont' but you have to learn how to use the lag to the drivers advantage which is pretty hard. See to me, drving is like breathing. I think of every detail out there on the track or the car that i can use to my advantage and even use certain disadvantages of a car or track to use it to make it work for me. For several track days I have gone to, i have never been overshadowed by another car. I' havent spend thousdands of dollars in suspension like i should in order to be 'quick'. I have a different mental approach. I'm slow not the car, and i refine my technique to work with what i have. I'm no pro driver but that is my goal. I think a lot of people get coilovers on their cars and turns out to be the biggest mistake. MY reason ? They can't even drive a car, and i mean any car ***** to the wall. In my opinion an individual must be able to do that before getting coilovers. And people who say 'get an instructor to show you how to drive', my first time ever at a track i was in my 1980 500SE w126 bezn running intermediate and i was passing instructors. So to me an instructor dosen't mean he can drive. He might know how to take the proper line and breaking points etc, but that dosent mean he can drive a car. It might sound arrogant in my part saying that, but i'll stand by that.

In the previous threads, i remember someone saying that the car gets squirmy under hard breaking. I find nothing abnormal with that, as a matter infact i use it to initiate a trail brake/2% slip into a turn to my advantage. What I love about the turbo is the fact that i can take it to the track and be one of the fastest. Than i can drive it home and be one of the fastest cars on the backroad home. I can drive it every day to work with it, and be confortable.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
^^^ What he said ^^^

Beginning to end.

You don't NEED much to go REAL fast in this car. But like other Porsches, it will still only reward you with speed if you can wheel it, that's the way it was designed.

I never got to drive on the stock suspension on the track, but I know it's not up to the task, but I can say without a doubt this car is capable of blinding speeds with simple mods to the suspension (and I mean Coilovers and sway bars and that's it).