996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

TO Track or NOT to Track Your Turbo.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:19 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
TO Track or NOT to Track Your Turbo.......

Instead of hijacking the other thread, I figured I'd start another one.

Since the Turbo's are not more affordable you see more and more of them showing up at the track. So why doesn't everyone get a GT3 then?

Reason #1 because they wanted a Turbo
Reason #2 because they like the track
Reason #3 because they like hp on the street too

Turbo does all of those.

So why get a Turbo and make it a dedicated track car and put 10-20-30k into suspension, power and aero mods? Why not just get the GT3?

#1 Because modding a GT3 is laughable and fruitless, and probably the biggest reason why people don't buy GT3's and go to the track.
#2 Because it's FAST, like seriously fast, with only a few mods.

Why not just get a 997 GT3? It's lighter and has better ssupension geometry et etc.

#1 The 997 GT3 is not that much lighter. Only 200 lbs, which is easy to match in a Turbo.
#2 People like us like to mod like anyone else, so that won't work either.

Either way you slice it the Turbo is not far in heritage from the GT3. The GT3 s designed to be maximized out the box. The Turbo is watered down to make sure it's slower on a circuit than the GT3. When you unleash the true potential, it really shows.

Besides, guys are competitive at the track, try keeping up with the ZR-1, modded Z06, modded GT-R or other at the circuit in the GT3.

When they are stock, and you can drive, the GT3 is excellent, once the mods come into the picture you are relegated to competing with the slower cars.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:31 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I happen to agree.

My car's only weaknesses on track are two:

1. Me (my skill).
2. My tires are not r comps.

BTW: I need the back seat to carry my kids!

Jeff

Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
When I bought my '01 996TT in 2006, I really wanted a GT3, but couldn't justify the extra $25-30K. Now that I have modified my suspension (my tech says I now have a turbo GT3), I can run and pass most of the well driven GT3's. Now, I am looking at adding some hp with turbos, and you just can't do that with the GT3.

OTOH, I have driven a GT3 on track, and it is really a fun car to drive. It just wants to be tossed into a corner and recovered. Dez is right, though, they just can't keep up with the higher hp cars on the faster tracks.

Bottom line - I really like my car and I'm glad I made this choice.

Jon

Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I track my turbo because:
1} It's the only place I feel I can reach toward the potential of the car safely.
2} It's the only place where I can reach for the potential of my car and not get a speeding ticket.
3} It's a blast.
4} The camaraderie of fellow Porsche driver's is great.
5} It's satisfying to pass GT3s along with most everything else.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:08 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
There's absolutely nothing wrong with tracking a turbo. Done it many times as have customers... The gt3 is certainly more at home on one out of the box but it's all about having fun. I've had plenty of fun in my modded turbos and gt3s...

Modding a tt is usually more rewarding but i wouldn't always call it lauaghable on a gt3 (sniff):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzeLcvgOVzQ

Old 12-31-2009, 11:15 AM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
I enjoy tracking my TT, but did consider a GT3 until I found out it had no rear seats (for the kids AND it makes the wife happy), and also like to drag the car occasionally. It was also less expensive.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Sharky, that RS is beautiful and powerful, but mind boggling to think what the total cost of that 3.9 would be on top of the already inflated cost of an RS. Then add the proper suspension (which the RS needs too) and you're definitely in Cup Car range (200k +).

As far as practicality is concerned, that is still pretty far fetched.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:18 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Alex, with the amount of track time you have under your belt, plus the 3.9 with the 8800rpm rev limit, and a weight advantage, I would say the 2 cars are pretty close to even.

I will say that if you spend any time reading in the GT3 forum, the guys intimate that the GT3 is superior, thus the satisfaction when passing them. BTW, that wasn't a laugh, it was a smile of satisfaction. Anyway we're all amateurs. In the right hands it always seems the lap times are lower in the RS.

Last edited by landjet; 12-31-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:20 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
And why not just buy a standard GT3/RS and send it to Manthey/Sharkwerks/GMG and spend 30/40k for a missile that will make the Turbo look like it's going backwards.

Again... your talking about different tracks (so many variations)... I'm telling you now, it's a very, very different kettle of fish over here.

I'm not slating the Turbo, Jeez I have one myself, but honestly you really need to take a Tour of Manthey Racing, it's an eye opener!!!

Maybe Alex or Fabryce might add comment.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Sharky, that RS is beautiful and powerful, but mind boggling to think what the total cost of that 3.9 would be on top of the already inflated cost of an RS. Then add the proper suspension (which the RS needs too) and you're definitely in Cup Car range (200k +).

As far as practicality is concerned, that is still pretty far fetched.
Thanks Heavychevy and I should probably explain a bit. I mean obviously I'm from the TT world and I'll say I spent absolutely silly money on my TT (it was a labor of love) the first time around and then having learned a lot a bit less the 2nd time around. It was all good fun at the end of the day and the car(s) was a hoot. I'm not a good driver by any means but I literally remember hanging on and falling back behind a 996 cup car and then blowing by it on a straight like it was tied to a tree one time I dunno maybe he was doing a cool down lap but I did get a kick out of it. I mean 800hp vs 400-ish (yes it was lighter) says a lot on a straight

Jumping into the gt3 world a few years ago I was bummed that the rumors of the RS having a 3.8 didn't pan out. I looked into the European market for parts/builds and was seriously turned off by the 40-50K Euro price tag so we did it ourselves in the end. Anyways, with that in mind when looking at GT3s etc... they're in the 80K (at least now) and all in all for another 25/26k (with us) you can have a 3.9 engine built, tuned, exhaust and upgraded clutch etc... so you see it's not that far off from what us turbo guys also spend in terms of power, suspension etc...

Originally Posted by landjet
Alex, with the amount of track time you have under your belt, plus the 3.9 with the 8800rpm rev limit, and a weight advantage, I would say the 2 cars are pretty close to even.

I will say that if you spend any time reading in the GT3 forum, the guys intimate that the GT3 is superior, thus the satisfaction when passing them.
I've been on other end of that both as a turbo owner and GT3RS owner so believe me I know where you're coming from In a pro driver's hands (and I have had a good few drive my modded TT's and RS etc...) as much as they love the power (let's face it how can you not like 800hp) they do still end up being quicker around a track in the NA, 2WD 3. They're more in control and consistent... The responsiveness is the real key and fun-factor on those 3s and it's just a different experience and one that I could probably compare to getting on to a straight with a TT and having the boost kick in and then blowing by a GT3:P

Back in 2004 my TT could run mid 10s @ 136mph all day long. I could drive to the track and then to the race track, do laps a plenty and go home in traffic using the nav. That car was a jack of all trades and I was proud of it

Both are very at home at the track and you/we can have fun in them. Pro drivers are far and few between and I'm most certainly not one of them

Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
And why not just buy a standard GT3/RS and send it to Manthey/Sharkwerks/GMG and spend 30/40k for a missile that will make the Turbo look like it's going backwards.

Again... your talking about different tracks (so many variations)... I'm telling you now, it's a very, very different kettle of fish over here.

I'm not slating the Turbo, Jeez I have one myself, but honestly you really need to take a Tour of Manthey Racing, it's an eye opener!!!

I think you NEED to have both Steve:P

Old 12-31-2009, 11:34 AM

These days you can buy and build a 996 TT to run with and past cup cars for between 75-100k. 10k in power mods, 12k in suspension and 8k in aero and weight loss, and that's easily done, you can do it for less.

I can tell you right now, I'm not interested in tracking a 200k car on a regular basis, I'd buy and build an equally fast car for mush less that I can ball up and not blink.

I'd buy and build a Z06 (C5 or C6), or hell, just buy an ACR before I did that.

Speaking of ACR's, anyone see the Cup Car Killer for only 110k (ACR-X). Of course the Cup is much more engineered, but the sheer potential of the ACR-X being pretty much equal in speed for only 110k is staggering. This and it's actually a race car that can take a whole race, and while still at street car weights (3300 lbs).

Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I tell you now... I would have your 3.9 in a second... that would eat most things around the Nordschleife

Old 12-31-2009, 11:42 AM
I tell you now... I would have your 3.9 in a second... that would eat most things around the Nordschleife
We were trying/working on bringing it over but I believe there will be a UK built GT3 this year with our 3.9 spec in it this year

Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
These days you can buy and build a 996 TT to run with and past cup cars for between 75-100k. 10k in power mods, 12k in suspension and 8k in aero and weight loss, and that's easily done, you can do it for less.

I can tell you right now, I'm not interested in tracking a 200k car on a regular basis, I'd buy and build an equally fast car for mush less that I can ball up and not blink.

I'd buy and build a Z06 (C5 or C6), or hell, just buy an ACR before I did that.

Speaking of ACR's, anyone see the Cup Car Killer for only 110k (ACR-X). Of course the Cup is much more engineered, but the sheer potential of the ACR-X being pretty much equal in speed for only 110k is staggering. This and it's actually a race car that can take a whole race, and while still at street car weights (3300 lbs).
You have a good few points. At today's prices the 996TT is simply the best value for money and an insanely good _platform_ for just about any type of driving.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I've driven both, just find a TT a hell of a lot more fun on the track...and street.
Besides my track buddy just got an ACR-X viper, how the hell is a gt3 gonna keep up with that thing?

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 12-31-2009 at 11:52 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TO Track or NOT to Track Your Turbo.......