996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Softronic Stage 1 + What Quiet Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM
RickJ is infamous around these parts
Softronic Stage 1 + What Quiet Exhaust?

Joined a long time ago and seem to come back only every year or so.

I have had my 2001 996TT since new and it is BONE STOCK with 9k miles on it.

After much research here (thank you all for the info), I am going to buy the Softronic Stage 1 (ECU, DV, Hoses) from Vividracing.

I would like to change to a performance muffler as well when I do the ECU flash upgrade.

I want the muffler to be reasonably quiet and not raspy, resonating, otherwise loud. Something smooth with a bit of performance sound.

The Agency Power and Miltek seem to be close based on listening to the videos.

Any advice for me?

Thx

Old 12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
"Any advice for me?"...Drive your car more often......
That is like a thousand miles a year. Cost/miles = fun factor. You need more fun factor in your equation.

PS, the RUF Exhaust sounds amazing but its not cheap.

1:05 in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MozvhPnWtWM

Originally Posted by RickJ
Joined a long time ago and seem to come back only every year or so.

I have had my 2001 996TT since new and it is BONE STOCK with 9k miles on it.

After much research here (thank you all for the info), I am going to buy the Softronic Stage 1 (ECU, DV, Hoses) from Vividracing.

I would like to change to a performance muffler as well when I do the ECU flash upgrade.

I want the muffler to be reasonably quiet and not raspy, resonating, otherwise loud. Something smooth with a bit of performance sound.

Any advice for me?

Thx

Last edited by fdorn; 12-31-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
I just put 900 miles on my car in a month. Wow I could never do that, watch a car sit in my garage.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Hi Rick,

There is a lot of exhaust information contained in the history of this forum. We recently designed an exhaust for exactly your criteria. Here is a link to a video and explanation of the design objectives of our X-cellerator 2.5 quiet exhaust system. I think it is probably exactly what you are looking for...

http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/Spe....5%20video.wmv

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I have used this system myself for a while, so I know it well.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RickJ

Any advice for me?

Thx
If you talk with Dan @ vivid, he should be able to get you some sort of good deal if you just buy the Agency Power Exhaust from them as well.

You'll get the performance you want and it's a great system that is well built ad sound good too with little to no drone.

Thats what I went with and I'm happy I did.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:35 PM
RickJ is infamous around these parts
FornD - thx - the Ruf Exhaust does sound outstanding.

John - the SpeedTech exhaust is very sweet

ColoradoSilver - I will chat with Vivid on the Agency Power exhaust

All - excellent feedback - I will keep researching and asking questions. Found this nice summary of exhaust performance and noise levels.

http://www.rennlist.com/imagineauto/Imaginemuffler.pdf

BTW - I probably put 5k miles on my car in the first couple of years, then starting my own business, then got focused on my two teenage daughters, etc. I was lucky to drive my car once a month. Working on changing that. Damn close to ordering a 2010 Turbo as well - going have two soon.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:18 PM
ETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant future
That pdf link is very helpful, thanks for posting it

Old 12-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
That was a great test Stephen did, but the problem with it today is that it's very old data. There are many newer systems available now that are not compared and some of the older ones have been changed or discontinued. The market has evolved since then and there are so many more options now...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Give me a ring!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
ExigentM is infamous around these parts
Contact Markski before you decide.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
I am very happy with my FABSPEED 200Cell Gen II Unit.

Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
running the AP unit + AP headers. I can talk and listen to music on the stock bose system with out much strain but the increased exhaust tone is definately there... if that's any measure. It's possible to "drive quieter" by rpm and fuel pedal control on this system but if you want some umph, it's at your disposal.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the video in this thread.