996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Suspension upgrade for high HP GT2: Are coilovers enough?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Ahhh, ok, that includes the IC's and such. Makes more sense now.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM
SaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really nice
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Coilovers may actually NOT put the power down better than stock, at least not in a straight line, because they are stiffer, which is not good for launching in RWD. You would want some squat to shift more weight to the rear wheels in that case.

Under cornering, the stiffer coilovers will help control the body better and put less strain on the other components from body roll and chassis flex (due to body roll). And that's on a sticky tire like an R6 or slick. Not even MPSC or NT01 or R888 will be enough for much concern.

Wheel hop is the only thing to watch out for.

There are enough guys tracking and driving lots of stock components on the GT2/ GT3 and TT that I wouldn't be too concerned about catastrophic failure of anything. If it all of a sudden starts to handle funny, go get it checked out, but I highly doubt that will happen unless you track every weekend on slicks, even then, I'd be skeptical. It takes some SERIOUS punishment to unnerve these cars.
I had this exact feeling/problem, the car would float at high speed (105mph+) and it would also feel like it couldn’t process the acceleration efficiently. Now though……… it feels tight, controlled and smooth at high speed and also on acceleration (stand still or rolling) it just grips and goes, 100% improvement.
Plus I think that 8 years makes anything tired especially when it’s in a GT2 or TT, everything gets loose with age (suspension or engine parts), new bushes would help a lot, but how much, only those who have done this would know. It all comes down to how much money you have and how much you want to part with.