996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Question Tire Pressure

What tire pressure do you run at? I currently have on the front Ultrac - SESSANTA VREDESTEIN GIUGIARO 245/30 ZR 20, the back are Pirreli PZERO NERO 295/25 ZR 20. Both are 50lb max and I run them at 48lbs of air pressure.

I am curious, I have never read or done any research in to what you should or shouldn't have in regards to tire pressure. Do you run more or less depending on the type of driving or weather conditions? Opinions welcome, factual experience preferred.

So what kind of tires do you have?
What air pressure do you use?
Why?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
What tire pressure do you run at? I currently have on the front Ultrac - SESSANTA VREDESTEIN GIUGIARO 245/30 ZR 20, the back are Pirreli PZERO NERO 295/25 ZR 20. Both are 50lb max and I run them at 48lbs of air pressure.

I am curious, I have never read or done any research in to what you should or shouldn't have in regards to tire pressure. Do you run more or less depending on the type of driving or weather conditions? Opinions welcome, factual experience preferred.

Why?
That sounds WAAAAAAY high, especially if those are COLD pressures!!! I suspect you should be running them at 34 - 36 psi COLD (that is stone cold before you drive on them)....

I run 27 psi cold for my Hoosier R6's at the track and they get up to 36 psi when HOT. I run 34 psi COLD Front and 36 PSI cold Rear on my GT2 running Michelin PS2's Those are the pressures recommended by Michelin for this car.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:37 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
FWIW:
I run 36front 44rear on the street and drop them by 8+ pounds each on the track 28front 36 rear. (stock tire size)

Why?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by fdorn
FWIW:
I run 36front 44rear on the street and drop them by 8+ pounds each on the track 28front 36 rear. (stock tire size)
same here

Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
36 and 44 are what the owner's manual specify. The manual also warns against not using the same tires at all 4 corners. Differing slip angles can cause uneven traction problems.

Do your tires show more wear in the center? Because your tires are over inflated.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold

Why?
You need to read your manual. 36f and 44r are standard with personal minor variance based on driving conditions (track, street etc). I run a few psi lighter than spec. You are way over inflated is my guess.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
When I got the car in Oct the tires had 20 to 24lbs depending on what tire you checked. I have always ran tires near max but I have never had tires like these before. So I was curious to what people who have had these cars/tires do.

I am not afraid if admitting I don't know something or asking to find out. I'll re adjust what they are now before I leave out tomorrow. No, after close to 4,000 miles this tires are still looking like they are running even. I check them and the lug bolts 1nc a week. Thanks for the info, I'll do the 36 front and the 44 rear and see how it feels.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Yep, if you open up the gas lid, the pressures are listed in there in case you need a reminder later. I have to refer to it every once in a while cause all my vehicles use different pressures...

Old 01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
FWIW:
Originally Posted by Supercollider
same here

Same--it's what the sticker inside the gas filler door specifies

Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
I have posted this before....sumi's+high heat = PSI over 50 = trashed tires...these had a few thousand miles on them - and 3 brutal track days

Name:  Tires2.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  92.5 KB

The TPMS reminds constantly about my presure.
Name:  IMG00146.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  25.5 KB

Originally Posted by raineycd
Yep, if you open up the gas lid, the pressures are listed in there in case you need a reminder later. I have to refer to it every once in a while cause all my vehicles use different pressures...

Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Classic over inflation symptoms.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
That was after I let 8 lbs out and then drove like runaway bank robber...The Sumi's just can't deal with heat so the presure goes up and up and up....lol

PS going back to Yoko's this spring. Much better dual purpose tire.
Originally Posted by landjet
Classic over inflation symptoms.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:46 PM
wrasse is infamous around these parts
I run 36front 44rear on the street as well

Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
That was after I let 8 lbs out and then drove like runaway bank robber...The Sumi's just can't deal with heat so the presure goes up and up and up....lol

PS going back to Yoko's this spring. Much better dual purpose tire.
Before you buy, look into the Bridgestone RE-11's. Supposed to have great grip, good in the wet, have durability, and a good dual purpose tire.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
You need to read your manual. 36f and 44r are standard with personal minor variance based on driving conditions (track, street etc). I run a few psi lighter than spec. You are way over inflated is my guess.
I have read the manual. The point of asking is I'm not using stock wheels or tires. The size and make are in the 1st post. I'll lower the pressure upon the advice here.

fdorn, thanks for the pics and to every 1 else for their input.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure