996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ordering Turbo "S" coupe is thicker steering wheel worth it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 10:32 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Ordering Turbo "S" coupe is thicker steering wheel worth it

Just wondering your opinions. Also, any experience with alum/leather steering wheel, which do you guys prefer.

Lou

Old 12-13-2004, 11:04 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
I'd order it with the thicker steering wheel option over the alum/leather one. That one is a bit over the top and it could get scratched if you wear and ring, for example. Anyway, they are both options that you could add later if you feel like it.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:39 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by 03-turbo911
I'd order it with the thicker steering wheel option over the alum/leather one. That one is a bit over the top and it could get scratched if you wear and ring, for example. Anyway, they are both options that you could add later if you feel like it.
Have you felt it before? Reason I'm wondering is I heard it is not that much thicker and not worth the $750 price. What do you think?

Thanks

Lou

Old 12-14-2004, 12:48 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
You certainly wouldn't notice the thicker one, it's just that it feels so much better than the stock thinner-rimmed steering wheel.

Just to confuse you more, have a look at the natural leather as it comes in the turbo S. You get small perforated holes on the steering wheel, gearknob, and handbrake. You only get that with the natural leather and they do look good.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:20 AM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
I have the alum/leather wheel and love it. It has a great contrast in the car. Also I have the habbit of tapping on the steering wheel and no scratches as yet.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...age_mod&id=953

Old 12-14-2004, 03:23 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
alu look....only if you have other alu stuff in your car

Old 12-14-2004, 05:27 AM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
I had mine double wrapped in alcantra/leather combo and love it. It feels like I am holding something substantial.

I justed looked and don;t have a photo but will take some today and post.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:07 AM
B7R
B7R has a spectacular aura aboutB7R has a spectacular aura aboutB7R has a spectacular aura about
I personally went for a thicker steering wheel in full leather, it feels grate and the grip is amazing.

I'll tray to post a photo as soon as I recive my car next week...!

Old 12-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Banned
deeroff is infamous around these parts
I love the thicker wheel -- when I traded in my other 996 (without it) and picked up my current one (with it), it was the first thing I noticed - really!

Old 12-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
I have it. Get it. Well worth it (if that's possible to say in the same breath as Porsche options).

Old 12-14-2004, 06:45 PM
LSM
Originally posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
I have it. Get it. Well worth it (if that's possible to say in the same breath as Porsche options).
I am thinking of going that route. My other choice would be to order just the alum look steering wheel and then having you paint rear center console, center console, instrument surround, and side vents in alum look......... That change your answer?

Lou

Old 12-14-2004, 06:55 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
Lou

For around $800 to $900 you can get a 340MM Atiwe steering wheel with an airbag, very thick and doesn't feel like a bus wheel like the stock one does

I love mine, one of the best mods I have done yet
Atiwe is the manufacturer for Techart, they just rebadge it

Hope this helps confuses you more pal!!

Old 12-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Holger B is infamous around these parts
I test drove a GT3 with the thicker steering wheel and didn't like it. My car has the normal wheel, which I prefer (it feels just right to me). I wouldn't get the thicker wheel even if it were a no-cost option.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:19 PM
LSM
Originally posted by Holger B
I test drove a GT3 with the thicker steering wheel and didn't like it. My car has the normal wheel, which I prefer (it feels just right to me). I wouldn't get the thicker wheel even if it were a no-cost option.
Was the thicker wheel much thicker?

Lou

Old 12-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Lou, as you know we can produce any finish on nearly any part of the car. Happy to provide your beast with the finest, anytime, and at about half the price the factory would charge you.

Bring it on!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordering Turbo "S" coupe is thicker steering wheel worth it